-->>Setup and usage<<--          
About Icaros
To be honest, I'm slowly running out of ideas.

There might be another codec that is blocking LAV. Do you have any other codec related software installed?

Slightly odd question: What happens if you copy/paste one of your mkv's? (in other words, create a new mkv)

Well, this fixed my wonky thumbnails, but so far with this new Icaros explorer crashes almost immediately when I open my video folder/s. BUT it seems after it crashes once and restarts explorer it works just fine generating thumbs. Couple times now I've turned my comp on after a shutdown, few mins later it crashes immediately upon opening a folder with an ungenerated thumb and after explorer restarts it strolls along generating thumbs just fine. : /
Hi rocky44345,

The only cause I know of, that makes explorer behave as you just described, is ffdshow's mpeg2 decoder, libmpeg2.

So do you, by any chance, have ffdshow set as your default decoder for mpeg2?
Using LAV instead of ffdshow to decode mpeg2 should fix the problem.
When you're done thumbnailing the files, you can always switch back afterwards.

I might have to block ffdshow from Icaros to avoid these random crashes in the future.
(11-09-2011, 03:17 PM)Xanashi Wrote:  To be honest, I'm slowly running out of ideas.

There might be another codec that is blocking LAV. Do you have any other codec related software installed?

Slightly odd question: What happens if you copy/paste one of your mkv's? (in other words, create a new mkv)

I did copy paste one mkv but nothing. But good news, it was coreavc (even though preferred decoder setting was unchecked) which was blocking lav coz i deactivated coreavc and boom the thumbnails are working.
Thank you for helping me out.
(11-10-2011, 05:45 AM)Xanashi Wrote:  Hi rocky44345,

The only cause I know of, that makes explorer behave as you just described, is ffdshow's mpeg2 decoder, libmpeg2.

So do you, by any chance, have ffdshow set as your default decoder for mpeg2?
Using LAV instead of ffdshow to decode mpeg2 should fix the problem.
When you're done thumbnailing the files, you can always switch back afterwards.

I might have to block ffdshow from Icaros to avoid these random crashes in the future.

Well, everything is set to default. MPEG2 playback is set to "Set MPEG2 (system default)", there is no LAV setting, or did you mean overall mpeg playback?, it is set to LAV.
(11-10-2011, 11:33 AM)rocky44345 Wrote:  Well, everything is set to default. MPEG2 playback is set to "Set MPEG2 (system default)", there is no LAV setting, or did you mean overall mpeg playback?, it is set to LAV.

Are you using a current release? At this time, version 325 is current.
If not, UNINSTALL before installingthe current release.
After installation, you are taken to the Setup and Usage post, please follow those instructions also.
For those that stay up-to-date with nightly LAV filter releases,
Icaros 1.2.5 is available from MajorGeeks and fixes an issue of black thumbs when using the most up-to-date LAV filters
with icaros and latest lav filters v 0.39, opening a folder with mkv files inside became a headache.

while icaros generates thumbnails, i can not even move the mouse. cpu usage is over 50%. each thumbnail takes 1-2 seconds.

Is this normal?

my cpu is a quad core, 2.6ghz intel cpu.
(11-19-2011, 10:32 AM)cengizhan Wrote:  while icaros generates thumbnails, i can not even move the mouse. cpu usage is over 50%. each thumbnail takes 1-2 seconds.

Is this normal?

This is not normal behaviour. It is usually caused by incomplete files.
Incomplete files takes longer to generate thumbnails, peaks the CPU and ends up with a black thumb.

A simple remux of the file(s) should fix it/them.

I haven't experienced other cases, yet.
I have found that this does not happen with flv avi mpg and wv files. their thumbnails are genrated fast enough. only mkv files put a heavy toll on my system. Also all files are complete and not damaged.