-->>Setup and usage<<--          
About Icaros
Hello Everyone,

I think it's finally time for some testing, so I have prepared a Beta build of the latest version of Icaros, namely 2.0.
(By the request of Shark, I've chosen to bump the version quite a bit for this release, to augment its importance)

So let's get right onto it, what's new in this version of Icaros?
I've completely revised the extraction core of Icaros, so instead of using DirectShow, it now utilizes FFmpeg directly.
This comes with several benefits, which will be mentioned below:

Icaros 2.0.0

Speed
The thumbnail generation speed is pratically incomparable to the speed of Icaros's predecessors.
Give it a try.

Lightweight
Lower CPU usage and far lower memory usage while generating thumbnails.

Aspect Ratio
The aspect ratio is now maintained while thumbnailing.

No More Artifacts
At rare occasions, the old versions of Icaros produced tearing artifacts in the thumbnails.
This should no longer be a problem.

Flexibility
Some of the filetypes that didn't work with Icaros before, might work now.

No More Conflicts
Since Icaros no longer depends on DirectShow, there will be no more playback conflicts, while Icaros is active.

Less Dependent
Version 2.0 only has one requirement now upon installation; .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

Stability
My control over the whole thumbnailing process has increased severely, after the new Core was implemented.
Suffice to say that, with more control, stability increases as well.

And The Rest
I've optimized IcarosConfig's startup routine, so libraries should be loaded instantly now.
Plus a good handful of various bug fixes and other improvements has been applied to all shell extensions and IcarosConfig as well.

Of course, all of this does comes at a small price.
Four FFmpeg libraries are now deployed along with Icaros, and this elevates the size 6-fold from what the previous version could offer.
And because of the nature of FFmpeg, the libraries has to be provided in both x64 and x86 flavors.

To maintain the easy installation procedure from my previous builds,
I've decided to make both the installer and the portable version unified,
meaning they can both be used on either platform (32-/64-bit).

The installer should take care of everything by itself, all should be like it used to.
The portable zip, requires that you extract it and open IcarosConfig once.
IcarosConfig should then grab the contents of one of the two folders and the remaining folder can be deleted afterwards.

I haven't had the time to properly test either, so if you can please report if one or both work as intended, that would be great!

There's also a slight issue with the thumbnailing of files with vc1(i) content, but it will have to be addressed later.

Icaros 2.0 Beta installer : Download (A newer version has been posted)
Icaros 2.0 Beta portable : Download (A newer version has been posted)

I need as much feedback as I can get. :-)
Regressions, bugs, and even if everything just works, please report that as well.

BTW. Flac support is also coming along nicely, and will be added soonish.

Enjoy!
I am glad to see that 2.0 has progressed to BETA - nice work Xanashi.
Beta seems to work great.
Only one thing is that the generation for avi thumbnails is really slow.
Everything else works fast and aspect ratios are respected also.
And thanks for the future FLAC support.

(Tested on win7 x64)
Thanks Shark ^_^

And Thanks for the feedback, Lenmaer.
Are you sure .avi has been properly added to the optional filetypes list?
For me, Icaros currently generates avi thumbnails faster than MS' native thumbnail provider do.

Did you remove the previous version of Icaros before upgrading?
(03-15-2012, 11:33 AM)Xanashi Wrote:  Thanks Shark ^_^

And Thanks for the feedback, Lenmaer.
Are you sure .avi has been properly added to the optional filetypes list?
For me, Icaros currently generates avi thumbnails faster than MS' native thumbnail provider do.

Did you remove the previous version of Icaros before upgrading?

Sorry, my bad.
I thought it was automatically added.
Once added, it works really fast.
By the way, it also works with .webm if manually added.

Also one last thing, would it be possible to create an installer that can upgrade a previous install?
Because everytime a new version is released, I've to uninstall the old one first because some files are locked.
(03-15-2012, 11:50 AM)Lenmaer Wrote:  Sorry, my bad.
I thought it was automatically added.
Once added, it works really fast.
By the way, it also works with .webm if manually added.

Great, glad it worked out. ^_^
It should work with almost any video filetype you add.

(03-15-2012, 11:50 AM)Lenmaer Wrote:  Also one last thing, would it be possible to create an installer that can upgrade a previous install?
Because everytime a new version is released, I've to uninstall the old one first because some files are locked.

I am looking into that, but I have the problem with Explorer holding on to the dlls.
Explorer holds on to any shell extension for about 10 min. in case it needs to use them again. Then another 10 after each reuse.
The proper way to unlock the dlls would of course be to restart the system,
but it is also possible to unlock them by just restarting Explorer, although quite unconventional.

Not sure what would be the best way to handle the upgrade.

(03-15-2012, 12:13 PM)Xanashi Wrote:  I am looking into that, but I have the problem with Explorer holding on to the dlls.
Explorer holds onto any shell extension for about 10 min. in case it needs to use them again. Then another 10 after each reuse.
The proper way to unlock the dlls would of course be to restart the system,
but it is also possible to unlock them by just restarting Explorer, although quite unconventional.

Not sure what would be the best way to handle the upgrade.

Or maybe building the installer that way, it would automatically uninstall the old version first and ask for a reboot before continuing the new installation, like how realtek does for its audio driver.

Thumbs Up 
Thanks ! It is now very fast ! I loved it.

One thing explorer missing is flac, ogg,.. audio file support. We can see only wma, mp3 and m4a files' album data,cover picture but not others. I hope that you implement something like this.

Thanks again.
The new version somehow doesn't work here on win7 and win8. 1.3.2 worked fine. I have cleared cache and rebooted several times. I have also checked the Registry keys and everything seems correct.

Any idea what might be wrong? Perhaps some kind of debug logging can be added, possibly activated by setting some registry value?

Some suggestions:
- Add a suffix to the ffmpeg DLLs like LAV Filters does. That is safer if other programs are installed with the same named DLLs. Windows may otherwise use whatever one is loaded in memory.
- Use HKLM instead of HKCU. That makes more sense and shows consistent data regardless of which admin user account is used in case of multiple users.
Hi, I just tried the 2.0. I installed it and activated it but no thumbnail. From the way it looks, it seems as if I'm the only one it isn't working for. Here is how I went about it.

1. Deactivated the old Icaros.

2. Logoff and Log back on to uninstall it

3. After uninstalling it, I installed the 2.0

4. 2.0 successfully installed without any problems

5. Activated Icaros, but no thumbnail conversation for my mkv

6. Restarted system but still no luck.

I do have the Net frame 4 that is required so I don't really understand what my issue might be.

I have Window 7 64x