-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Audio playback not working on HD channels on Win10 Media center
Hi all, greatful for your help.

I have been playing with all of the options on the 'swap' tab on the 32bit and 63bit shark settings applcations but I just cannot get all video and audio to work on all channels on windows media center.

The best I can get is, SD channel all audio and video working, HD channels (which media center shows a dolby digital logo), video working but audio starts with a 1 second loops, that keeps looping, the video keeps playing ok. I've attached a screenshot of my current options in this state, from the 'swap' tab which seem to be the options relating to windows media center i've seen on other posts.

My Windows 10 is 64 bit Version 1803 (build 17134.112)
My digtial TV tuner is a Hauppauge Quad TV
Windows sound output driver is the Dolby Atmos for Windows 10 as provided by MS/Dolby, as I have a Dolby Atmos soundbar so need this. The settings show it is outputting as 2 channels.
PC is connected directly by HDMI to Samsung soundbar, soundbar passes through HDMI video to TV.

Older versions of windows 10 before 1803 I didnt have this problem.

Greatful for your help as im running out of ideas.
(06-21-2018, 03:46 PM)mbedford Wrote: Older versions of windows 10 before 1803 I didnt have this problem.

The quote above says a lot. moving on . . .

You need to use v8.8.1 of WMC for Windows 10. Get it here
The reason for this version is that it installs the Windows DVD Player which in turn enables Microsoft's decoders to work with Media Center.

In the 64bit Settings Application, press [Reset All]
When selecting the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox, answer Yes to the question posed.

Go back to testing Media Center.
Hi,

Yes I am using WMC 8.8.1 copied into the "C:\Program Files\ehome" folder and enable the "Disable full screen optimization" flag on "C:\Program Files\ehome\ehshell.exe" to make sure video plays back full screen. As per the solution I documented here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/view...hp?t=11402

WMC reports inside the application itself:
Windows 8.1
Version: 6.3.9600.163.84

"In the 64bit Settings Application, press [Reset All]
When selecting the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox, answer Yes to the question posed." < Yes I have done this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have no further advice other than to tell you that pressing [Reset All] will setup the Microsoft decoders for Media Center use and those are the best to use with Media Center. Replacing them never gets anyone anything better. If you have used a utility to change decoders called MCDU, you may have some permanent damage to Windows decoder files. Search the Windows\System32 directory for files having a .mcdu extension and remove that from the filename.
(06-22-2018, 03:43 AM)Shark007 Wrote: I have no further advice other than to tell you that pressing [Reset All] will setup the Microsoft decoders for Media Center use and those are the best to use with Media Center. Replacing them never gets anyone anything better. If you have used a utility to change decoders called MCDU, you may have some permanent damage to Windows decoder files. Search the Windows\System32 directory for files having a .mcdu extension and remove that from the filename.

Not used a utility called MCDU before, only video/audio codec/utilities I have ever installed are your shark codecs and the official MS/Dolby Atmos driver.

I did and search for *.mcdu in Windows/System32 and no files found.
When you said Windows DVD needs to be installed to install the MS decoders, just checking its installed, its this one yes?

(06-22-2018, 11:44 PM)mbedford Wrote: When you said Windows DVD needs to be installed to install the MS decoders, just checking its installed, its this one yes?

Yes. That is the one installed by the WMC v8.8.1 installer.
So, you do have that at least.

1. I have cleanly uninstalled WMC8.8.1
  2. Cleanly uninstalled Windows DVD player
  3. cleanly uninstalled all shark packs
  4. Reinstalled WMC8.8.1 from the link you gave me
  5. manually installed Windows DVD player
  6. then tried media center, all SD channels work audio & video, all HD channel work video, but audio loops on a 1/2 second loop then goes black after a few seconds.
  7. Then I installed Shark Advanced pack 32 & 64bit installation
  8. Did reset all and then recommended settings selecting 'Yes' to the prompt
  9. then tried media center again, same result, all SD channels work audio & video, all HD channel work video, but audio loops on a 1/2 second loop then goes black after a few seconds.
  10. Then spent a good hour going through various combinations of options in the shark configuration screens (run as administrator), closing down media center and reopening between each config change.
  11. Still same result.

Im just pulling my hair out now, almost ready to give up on WMC after SO many years of happy use?!?!?!
I would suggest that if you want WMC that much, install Windows 8.1 Pro.
Then install WMC v8.8.1 into that version of Windows.

Or, look for an ISO of Windows 8.1 Pro that already contains WMC. (this would be my choice)