-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Feature request - Store Settings in Portable Icaros Folder
Rainbow 
Hello guys, thank you Xanashi, you genius, Icaros works really faster than Media Preview, up to 2x-3x. O_o

I use Icaros with portable XYplorer from Flash Drive, could you add the ability to store settings in Portable Icaros folder? It would be very useful for me and other portable users. Smile

And maybe new keys for IcarosConfig.exe? Smile

/activate1 --- for only THUMBNAILING
/activate2 --- for only PROPERTIES

p.s.
sorry for my english
Hi Orion,

Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:I use Icaros with portable XYplorer from Flash Drive, could you add the ability to store settings in Portable Icaros folder? It would be very useful for me and other portable users. 

I have been looking into making portable settings, but there were certain issues with it. 
Shell extensions are generally given very limited system permissions to keep the security high,
and as such, having portable settings would only work if the shell extensions were placed in specific 
directories on your system. Otherwise the shell extensions wouldn't be able to read the settings file.

This would kind of counter the idea of having a 'portable' build. 

With that said, Icaros only stores setting in two keys of the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Icaros
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Icaros

So it's relatively easy to keep the registry clean after deactivating Icaros. ;)

Quote:And maybe new keys for IcarosConfig.exe?

Good suggestion. I'll be sure to add commands to activate/deactive the individual shell extensions. 

Quote:sorry for my english

Your English is solid. :)
Quote:I use Icaros with portable XYplorer from Flash Drive, could you add the ability to store settings in Portable Icaros folder? It would be very useful for me and other portable users. 

XYPlorer looks like exactly what I've been looking for. May I ask how you got icaros to render thumbnails in XYplorer I can't get the covers rendering properly ...

~Dakooga
Xanashi
Thanks for the answer!

I assumed that there is a reason for this. Smile Maybe you could consider the option of to transfer settings to the registry on the fly?

New command line options (keys):

1) Export settings from interface (very cool by the way) for IcarosSettings.icss and placed in a Portable Icaros folder.
2) Run Activate.ink ("Path\To\IcarosConfig.exe" /activate1 settings) and settings will be transferred to the registry & activate THUMBNAILING.
plus
3) Deactivate.ink ("Path\To\IcarosConfig.exe" /deactivate settings) and settings will be remove & deactivate THUMBNAILING.

Solid Snake. Big Grin

dakooga
XYplorer really good file manager and fully portable. Covers? Sorry, i use thumbnailing only for video (before Media Preview & now Icaros) and pictures (XYplorer internal algorithm). Maybe Options (Configuration) -> Previewed Formats -> Add.  Ask a question on a XY forum.
(06-22-2016, 06:19 AM)Orion Wrote: I assumed that there is a reason for this. :) Maybe you could consider the option of to transfer settings to the registry on the fly?

New command line options (keys):

1) Export settings from interface (very cool by the way) for IcarosSettings.icss and placed in a Portable Icaros folder.
2) Run Activate.ink ("Path\To\IcarosConfig.exe" /activate1 settings) and settings will be transferred to the registry & activate THUMBNAILING.
plus
3) Deactivate.ink ("Path\To\IcarosConfig.exe" /deactivate settings) and settings will be remove & deactivate THUMBNAILING.

This looks like a very nice feature. I will try and modify the commandline options to include the options to export/import/reset/remove the icaros settings,
in combination with any activate/deactivate commands. 
There are a few scenarios to consider here, but I'll see if I can get it in before the next release. :)