-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Feature request - custom icons instead thumbnails for selected video file types
Hi.

It's me again. Thanks for adding my "Only video formats" request to your to-do list.
This encouraged me to send a new request.

I know that it is possible to disable thumbnailing for all file types (including images) in Windows Explorer, I know that it is possible to disable thumbnailing in Icaros settings (does not apply video formats supported by Explorer himself). But isn't possible to disable thumbnailing for selected video files type and replacing the thumbnails by the custom icon.

Maybe you can do something with it? 
Maybe you can use a icon files (ico/jpg/png - whatever) as a thumbnail stored in thumbs.db?

I just asking. You are the expert!

Reguards.
(09-23-2016, 11:57 AM)random_nick Wrote: Hi.

It's me again. Thanks for adding my "Only video formats" request to your to-do list.
This encouraged me to send a new request.

I know that it is possible to disable thumbnailing for all file types (including images) in Windows Explorer, I know that it is possible to disable thumbnailing in Icaros settings (does not apply video formats supported by Explorer himself). But isn't possible to disable thumbnailing for selected video files type and replacing the thumbnails by the custom icon.

Maybe you can do something with it? 
Maybe you can use a icon files (ico/jpg/png - whatever) as a thumbnail stored in thumbs.db?

I just asking. You are the expert!

Reguards.

Hi,

You can actually do this already, it just requires a bit of registry editing. 
Now if you're not familiar with the Windows registry, I have to advise you to be careful when editing the registry, and make sure to make a full backup of Windows
before you proceed. 

Here is how you assign a custom icon to a filetype:

Step 0:
Make sure Icaros or any other shell extension is not assigned to handle that filetype.

Step 1: 
Click Win+R to open a 'Run' prompt and type 'regedit'. Then click enter to open the Windows Registry.

Step 2:
Go into the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key and find the file type you wish to assign a custom icon.
(e.g.  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ogg)

Create a subkey named DefaultIcon.

Step 3:
Assign the DefaultIcon subkey a default value of type REG_SZ, that specifies the fully qualified path for the file that contains the icon.

Step 4:
Open IcarosConfig, and go to the Tools page. Click 'Refresh Explorer'.

NOTE:
I'm not actually sure if the file path you specify in 'Step 3' can be directly pointed at a ico/png/jpg file.
The icon may have to be embedded into a binary file.
If that's the case let me know, and I'll find a guide for you.