-->>Setup and usage<<--          
High CPU Usage for MKV Videos Issue
Hello Developer,

I noticed when playing mkv video files the CPU is ridiculously high which drain laptop battery significantly and heated it up. You can play any mkv videos, especially anything higher than 1080p, you will see the CPU will hover around 40% to 50% constantly by checking the Task Manager while playing the mkv videos. 

I am playing this video type on Windows Media Player on Windows 10 x64 Fall Creator Update with all latest updates. I installed the Advanced x64 Component codec and set the default WMP player to 64 bit player, else it will not play mkv file. All other video types use only around 2% to 5% while playing which is minimum and help keep laptop cool and drain much less battery which is the best way to go.

I had tested the standard and advanced codec, nothing helps reduce this high CPU cycles when playing MKV files.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Can someone shed some light?

Thanks,

Happy New Year 2018!!!

Brian
On the MKV TAB, choose to disable Media Foundation for MKV
On the H264/5 TAB choose to Configure LAV
change None to DXVA2 (native) - if that doesn't work, change it to (copy-back)
Smile 
(12-29-2017, 04:44 PM)Shark007 Wrote: On the MKV TAB, choose to disable Media Foundation for MKV

I did as you suggested and plus I selected FFDshow DXVA H264 on the H264/5 tab and the CPU usage drops down to 16% average on playing 4k MKV videos using WMP. Before, the CPU will stay around 50% when playing 4k MKV videos, ridiculously high.

Thank you for your help Shark007, you are awesome.

Happy New Year 

Brian
(12-29-2017, 07:12 PM)hitechlover Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 04:44 PM)Shark007 Wrote: On the MKV TAB, choose to disable Media Foundation for MKV

I did as you suggested and plus I selected FFDshow DXVA H264 on the H264/5 tab and the CPU usage drops down to 16% average on playing 4k MKV videos using WMP. Before, the CPU will stay around 50% when playing 4k MKV videos, ridiculously high.

Thank you for your help Shark007, you are awesome.

Happy New Year 

Brian

Shark007,

There is another problem I found when using your settings. Your setting helps reduced CPU usage plus I selected FFDshow DXVA H264 to reduce CPU usage further. However, on the Config tab, under Subtitle Control, I selected the other 3 option and it reduces CPU to its lowest but subtitle doesn't work. The problem is when I keep it at DirectVobSub and subtitle works, but the CPU is higher and one of the MKV file will crash when I play it. 

I had analyzed the media file and attached it for your review of this MKV file which crashes when I selected FFDshow decoder, FFDshow DXVA, or No Subtitles under Subtitle Control. I selected one of those option because it reduces the CPU to its lowest when playing MKV videos but subtitle doesn't work. If I selected DirectVobSub as default, then subtitle works but CPU is still high. I want to keep CPU at minimum when play any kind of videos which helps reduce battery drain and less heat on laptop.

Please take a look at this problem and see if you can fix it. 

Thank You,

Happy Holiday

Attached Files
.txt   X-Men Apocalypse.txt (Size: 11.02 KB / Downloads: 44)
If you download and use the MPC-BE player from my Tools page
it will use an internal subtitle renderer further reducing CPU usage.
(12-30-2017, 07:50 PM)Shark007 Wrote: If you download and use the MPC-BE player from my Tools page
it will use an internal subtitle renderer further reducing CPU usage.

The MPC-BE player will also use the settings from your codec pack. It still freezes when I open that MKV video file when I selected the other subtitle option besides the DirectVobSub as default. Any other way you can make it work and reduce high CPU consumption when playing mkv videos using DirectVobSub as default?

Regards,

Brian
sorry to inform, but DirectVobSub has a long standing reputation for high CPU usage.