-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Lots of problems since moving to 3.1.0 from 3.0.3
I'm on Windows 8.1x64.

When I was using 3.0.3 Icaros didn't have any trouble thumbnailing various folders with different mp4s and mixed content such as videos and pngs. On 3.1.0, the same folders cause Icaros to:
- show no thumbnails, only generic icons
- thumbnail some files and not others
- add thumbnails for the entire folder that are just completely black
- add a thumbnail in the main view but show a generic icon in the preview on the right side of Explorer, or vice versa.

Let me know what logs I can pull or how to help troubleshoot this. Is there a specific way I should be installing this new version on top of the old one? I just ran the installer and let it update in place.

EDIT: I see *a lot* of errors in the Event Viewer. They seem to come in pairs. First an Error Event ID 1000 about DllHost.exe, and then an Information Event ID 1001 with info about "Event Name: APPCRASH". There is one folder that generates 3 of these pairs (6 events total) every time I click on it. It only has 11 files: 6 jpgs and 5 pngs.

EDIT 2: I tried deleting the Icaros Cache from the options but it didn't help. I noticed that although it showed 0 entries, the size of the cache was still 1.37 GB. I went to the folder where the cache is stored and deleted the files manually, and now the cache size looks correct in Icaros Config and I'm not seeing the errors in Event Viewer anymore. Is it possible Icaros starts behaving badly when the cache is big?

EDIT 3: After a couple of minutes I'm seeing thumbnail problems again and seeing those events in Event Viewer again. Total cache size is only 18.0 MB.
Have you tried removing those image formats from the list of extensions that are handled by Icaros?

Does the APPCRASH event reference Icaros?

Also clean the Windows thumbnail cache with cleanmgr.exe. The cache from Icaros is a 'backup' cache.
(10-03-2018, 07:09 AM)BitTech Wrote: Have you tried removing those image formats from the list of extensions that are handled by Icaros?

Does the APPCRASH event reference Icaros?

Also clean the Windows thumbnail cache with cleanmgr.exe. The cache from Icaros is a 'backup' cache.

1. I have, but that was just an example folder with simple files. This crashing happens on folders with just video files as well.

2. the APPCRASH doesn't mention Icaros.

3. I've cleaned the Windows thumbnail cache as well. No luck.
Copy the APPCRASH event details here.

I mean, if Icaros is not used for images, and Explorer still behaves weird for a folder that only contains images, then it is unlikely that Icaros is the cause of the problem. As a test you could uninstall Icaros to see if that makes any difference.
(10-05-2018, 05:19 AM)BitTech Wrote: Copy the APPCRASH event details here.

I mean, if Icaros is not used for images, and Explorer still behaves weird for a folder that only contains images, then it is unlikely that Icaros is the cause of the problem. As a test you could uninstall Icaros to see if that makes any difference.

Please see my reply before yours. I mention that the image folder is just an example and it happens on other folders with just video files. I also said in the original post that these folders don't cause any issues for Icaros 3.0.3, only 3.1.0.

Clearing the Windows thumbnail cache through cleanmgr.exe stopped the errors for about a day but they started again.

Below is an example APPCRASH from the Event ID 1001. This was on a folder with just video files.

Code:
Fault bucket 2141576270320923207, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DllHost.exe
P2: 6.3.9600.17415
P3: 54504134
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 6.3.9600.18938
P6: 5a7ddf0a
P7: c0000002
P8: 0000000000008eac
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4578.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_DllHost.exe_87b0697e4317ae38f7adb3c75f7de6f377abb38_30a79b3d_3c7e46a1

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 1ee9574d-ca96-11e8-83e9-40e2303c26e0
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 8bab7410863c5ee03db8684573e27247
Xanashi needs a sample file to reproduce and fix this problem.

1) Deactivate Icaros in its settings tool
2) Empty the list of extensions. Then add one non-standard extension like .xyz
3) Clear caches and reboot
4) Activate Icaros. It should now only handle .xyz files. This gives you exact control over which files it will thumbnail.
5) Rename a video file that you suspect may trigger the crash to .xyz. Repeat until the crash occurs.

Upload file to dropbox, mediafire.com, zippyshare.com or a similar host.