-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Manual Installation
Hi and first of all thank you very much for that very well working piece of software!

I do a manual installation and wonder if Resources\IcarosDescriptions.propdesc has to be copied too or just the files in the 32-bit / 64-bit directories.

I also would like to ask if you could post a list of supported properties, eg.
  • Icaros.VideoTracks
  • Icaros.AudioTracks
  • Icaros.SubtitleTracks
  • Icaros.ContentCompression
  • Icaros.ContainsChapters
  • Icaros.BitDepth
  • Icaros.SubtitleGroup
  • System.Title
  • System.Media.SubTitle
  • System.Rating
  • System.Keywords
  • System.Comment
  • System.Media.Duration
  • and so on

Thank you very much!
Hi an3k,

I'm very happy to hear you like Icaros. Thanks for the support. :)

The Resources\IcarosDescriptions.propdesc has to be copied too if you wish to use the Icaros.Property properties (e.g. Icaros.VideoTracks).
The propdesc  file is used to register these custom properties.

I'm not sure if I can generate a perfect list of all properties that Icaros provides values for, since it really depends on each
file format (mkv, avi, flac etc.), but I'll give it try:

• Icaros.VideoTracks
  • Icaros.AudioTracks
  • Icaros.SubtitleTracks
  • Icaros.ContentCompression
  • Icaros.ContainsChapters
  • Icaros.BitDepth
  • System.ItemType
  • System.Size
  • System.Media.Duration
  • System.OfflineAvailability
  • System.Title
  • System.Media.SubTitle
  • System.Video.FrameWidth
  • System.Video.FrameHeight
  • System.Video.TotalBitrate
  • System.Video.FrameRate
  • System.Media.CreatorApplication
  • System.Media.DateEncoded
  • System.Audio.ChannelCount
  • System.Audio.SampleRate
  • System.ItemNameDisplay
  • System.ItemFolderPathDisplay
  • System.DateCreated
  • System.DateModified
  • System.FileAttributes
  • System.OfflineStatus
  • System.SharedWith
  • System.FileOwner
  • System.ComputerName
  • System.Comment
  • System.Video.EncodingBitrate
  • System.Audio.EncodingBitrate
  • System.Music.Artist
  • System.Music.Genre
  • System.Media.Year
  • System.Media.Publisher
  • System.Media.Producer
  • System.Media.Writer
  • System.Copyright
  • System.Media.EncodedBy
  • System.Rating
  • System.Music.AlbumArtist
  • System.Music.AlbumTitle
  • System.Music.TrackNumber
  • System.Media.AuthorUrl
  • System.Music.Composer
  • System.Music.Conductor
  • System.Music.Mood
And these are the groups which the properties are listed under:
  • Icaros.SubtitleGroup;
  • System.PropGroup.FileSystem
  • System.PropGroup.Description
  • System.PropGroup.Video
  • System.PropGroup.Audio
  • System.PropGroup.Origin
  • System.PropGroup.Media
  • System.PropGroup.Content

Finally you can check out the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations" key in the Windows Registry,
to find out what properties are used for what format. 

Let me know if you need more info. :)
Thanks, that helped me a lot!

I'm currently writing a batch script (it's already like a setup but written in batch) that brings support for newer formats like mkv or webm to Windows 7. I know about the existing codec packs but I often heard bad things about them and I also wanted to do it as native as possible, eg. no installer registry data, etc.
I took some information from Windows 10 and most other stuff from Windows 7, both systems running in a VM so I can always revert to a previously saved system status.
I have LAV Filters bundled with Icaros and implemented some tweaks from Win7DSFilterTweaker (disabling Microsoft codecs, setting preferred decoder, etc.). I'm nearly done. I noticed that both Tools use mostly the same libraries, eg. avcodec-XXX-56.dll, avformat-XXX-56.dll, avutil-XXX-54.dll and swscale-XXX-3.dll. Is it possible to build a version that uses the same libraries than LAV Filters or - maybe better - use file names like avcodec-56.dll?
Hi again an3k, :)

LAV and Icaros do share very similar libraries, but not entirely. 
The libraries included with Icaros has been altered quite a bit to fully compliment thumbnailing rather than video playback.
In theory it would be possible to compile LAV and Icaros to use the same libraries, however certain functionality would be lost in the process.
It would also require me to maintain these releases, which isn't ideal for anyone.

One other possibility would be to dynamically link these libraries to Icaros, but that is quite a lot of work unfortunately. :/
(08-11-2015, 07:13 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Hi again an3k, Smile

LAV and Icaros do share very similar libraries, but not entirely. 
The libraries included with Icaros has been altered quite a bit to fully compliment thumbnailing rather than video playback.
In theory it would be possible to compile LAV and Icaros to use the same libraries, however certain functionality would be lost in the process.
It would also require me to maintain these releases, which isn't ideal for anyone.

One other possibility would be to dynamically link these libraries to Icaros, but that is quite a lot of work unfortunately. :/

Hello. Who are you? Big Grin

It isn't that important to me. I just asked because it would be more "beautiful" to have all files (LAV and Icaros) in the same folder and without "dublicates". When I was checking the files I saw that LAV uses older libs than Icaros so I already thought there would be problems. However, thanks for the explanation Smile
I completely understand. I been considering this many many times as well, for the exact same reasons as you described.
It may still happen at some point if I can find the time. :)