-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Media Control 6.0.10 Autot Refreshrate Fix
Dear Sharky or others,

You recommend MediaControl. Unfortunately, this app seems dead, but gladly it is open source.

There where three bugs related to Auto-Refreshrate change (wich made it unreliable or stopped "DirectCommands" from working. I fixed those:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id...id=1141603

I do not want to create a branch of MediaControl (I do not have the time), but want to share my fix. Perhaps somebody has a good connection to DamienBT, or is willing to create a branch to continue MediaControl development.

Here a pre-compiled 32bit:*Removed link*, instead, link to Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacontrolmce/files/

Full list of changes applied so far:

* Fixed bug that prevented switching to default refreshrate when watching TV or recordings

* Option to restore default refreshrate only for TV (live or recorded).

* Improved Audio Mixer Handling. Note: Handling of audio devices relies on remote-controling the audio addon of the system control panel (type "control.exe mmsys.cpl" in "run" to see for yourself). Starting mmsys.cpl, controling it and closing it steals focus for short time, which might lead to flickering. While the Current Device in Media Center might in some cases not be correctly reported, the setting of the audio device should be fine.
* Fixed bug in Stream detection using Direct Command Mode (Red Button or Ctrl+Alt+R) when no stream is present
* Improved refreshrate tab in "Media Control Configuration" programm. Only 32bit modes are offered as default. Old registry settings are checked against current display driver and to be 32bit modes.

6.0.12.1 (only 32bit)
* Fixed silly compiler mistake

* Fixed random crash of RemoteControlHook: it is now properly checking existence of Media Center Process

* restore to default refreshrate re-enabled (on Media Center start and on video stop event)
* Vista not supported anymore
* Input device detection fixed
* Max allowable refreshrate increased to 300Hz

* Registry handling now done by "Media Control Configuration" (not installer)-->each user can use it without Admin rights
* Fixed Contextmenue: no more crashes in latest Win7 and Win8 CP
* Fixed Contextmenue: each command is now actually handled and not ignored in 80% of the cases (was a threading problem)
* Refreshrates are now reliably auto detected and changed accordingly (make sure your display supprts all the refreshrates that are preconfigured in Media Control Configuration, e.g. the 23hz for 23.976 FPS)
* Refreshratelist is now stored language independant in Registry-->removes crashes in Media Control Configuration
* a number of smaller reliability bugs
FYI, DamienBT has been MIA for quite some time now.
(01-17-2012, 01:19 PM)Shark007 Wrote: FYI, DamienBT has been MIA for quite some time now.

For what it's worth, I have joinded now the Media Control Project and just released a new version 6.0.11 that fixes a number of bugs:
  • Registry handling now done by "Media Control Configuration" (not installer)-->each user can use it without Admin rights
  • Fixed Contextmenue: no more crashes in latest Win7 and Win8 CP
  • Fixed Contextmenue: each command is now actually handled and not ignored in 80% of the cases (was a threading problem)
  • Refreshrates are now reliably auto detected and changed accordingly (make sure your display supprts all the refreshrates that are preconfigured in Media Control Configuration, e.g. the 23hz for 23.976 FPS)
  • Refreshratelist is now stored language independant in Registry-_>removes crashes in Media Control Configuration
  • a number of smaller reliability bugs
  • restore to default refreshrate re-enabled (on Mediacenter start and on video stop event)
  • Vista not supported anymore
  • Input device detection fixed
  • Max allowable refreshrate increased to 300Hz

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacontrolmce/files/

@shark007: do you thinks its worthy to re-add it to the recommend tools page or are the times of FFDShow over and the dawn of LAVFilters is making this superflous? I still like to
Hi.
I am going nuts tying to get Media Control working.
I am running X64 W7 Media Center, UAC is on.
This is what i have done.
Installed Codecs x32 3.6.1
Installed Codecs x64 3.6.1
installed x64 MC 6.0.11

Opened x32 3.6.1 (as administrator) tick use suggested codecs
Closed it.
Opened x64 3.6.1 (as admin) set up with the same options as in this thread.
HERE

Then i go to MC and tick the change refresh rate to match.
This is the main reason i want to use MC.

I have opened up FFDshow and FFDshow DXVA to confirm that the API is set to MC and it is.

When i play a movie in Media Center I can't get Media Control. Neither the Remote or Keyboard will activate it when a movie is running.
I am just using a normal microsoft MCE remote and receiver.

I have tried MC Test app with MCE windowed and I can control it from there. I do however sometimes get an Unhandled exception....... error.

Can you offer any suggestions as to what might be wrong.
Quote:You have definitely W7CP and X64C configure according to my instructions, even if you are using only MC7 (WMC). X64C is only a 64 bit extension of W7CP and can not be used separately.
And all my settings under "Config"!
AMD A6-3650 with HD6530 graphics * XP MCE 2005, Windows 7 x86 + x64 + 8.1 x64 * PowerDVD 12 + 13
(05-21-2012, 03:56 PM)Saber Wrote: Hi.
I am going nuts tying to get Media Control working.
Can you offer any suggestions as to what might be wrong.

Did you manage to get it running? Please note Media Control 'controls' ONLY ffdshow, so the codec pack must be configured accordingly (i.e. not using the recommendet settings)!

Shark and the entire HTPC community apears to be moving away from ffdshow (switching to LAV Filters instead), so MediaControl will soon be obsolte (sadly, as LAV Filters does not offer an API, hence cannot be controlled from inside Media Center)
Only LAV using (without FFDshow) is possible for the english-speaking space, the "rest of the world" can't use only LAV!
Therefore the Windows 8 codecs for "foreigners" for example totally useless!
AMD A6-3650 with HD6530 graphics * XP MCE 2005, Windows 7 x86 + x64 + 8.1 x64 * PowerDVD 12 + 13
Thanks - posted on another forum <--- clicky

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Terence_13 so much for fixing this. I applied your version and loaded the new Media Browser Version and WOW! I really made a noticable difference in my playback. Again, THANKS!
With the last release (6.0.14, see first post) I have now more or less all the functionality I want working. I will still fix bugs (if anyone reports some), but will most likely stop implementing bigger changes. One really big change would be to use LAV Filters instead of ffdshow, but this equals a complete re-write of the application.