-->>Setup and usage<<--          
New Release: 3.0.0 Beta 3
(08-14-2015, 06:40 AM)Xanashi Wrote: I've only added a check when a user sets a new cache location in IcarosConfig, 
the rest of the cache logic works exactly like it did in the previous beta.
The check does not affect how the IcarosCache operates.

So if the cache files are not created, it really means that Icaros couldn't access that folder during thumbnailing.

Did the folder you're testing on work in beta 2?

yes. it worked. at that time it was in the same folder but i was using windows 8.1. and now i am using windows 10. the program resides in another drive, not the system drive.
Could you try and see if Beta 2 works in Windows 10, or if something has changed in Windows 10 that may affect the cache?
The check really shouldn't make any difference once the location has been set in IcarosConfig.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but thanks for testing. ;)
(08-12-2015, 04:47 AM)zerouser Wrote: Before anything thank you, I've been using icaros for a few years, up to the moment I had no problems with, but now on windows 10, to activate the thumbmails, icons of the applications in the taskbar are not correctly, are white, some are not or are deformed, that's the only drawback, is that it damages or doesn't rebuild well the file IconCache.db from folder % localappdata %. I hope to correct that.

Good news! I managed to reproduce and fix this problem. :)
I'm currently investigating another Win10 issue, but I'll release a new version soon with the fix included.
this reply was referred to:
http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-New-Rel...8#pid38188

(08-11-2015, 12:07 PM)Xanashi Wrote: ... & MyLeech.US ,
The upcoming beta should fix the issues you had with the IcarosCache. It was indeed a problem with folder read/write permissions,
as suggested by cengizhan.
I've changed the default cache location to a more ideal location.

MyLeech.US,
would it be possible for you to zip one of those huge minidump files and upload to a file host like mediafire.com, mega.nz or perhaps Google Drive
(I'm not sure if they allow files of that size though). :/

I'll put this problem on the check list.

Dear Xanashi,

Thanks for your attention

1. Latest beta build 3 fix all my problem found.
2. i format old windows and test with windows 10 ent. 64bit (build 10240), old hugh mimidump was deleted.

i'm so happy now!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-14-2015, 08:26 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Could you try and see if Beta 2 works in Windows 10, or if something has changed in Windows 10 that may affect the cache?
The check really shouldn't make any difference once the location has been set in IcarosConfig.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but thanks for testing. Wink

neither beta3 nor beta2 works. it doesnt work if you dont chose a folder in system drive.
MyLeech.US,
That is great! I'm glad to hear all your issues were solved with this release.
Thanks for letting me know.

cengizhan,
In that case, it sounds like the surrogate process of the Icaros Thumbnail Provider doesn't actually
have the necessary permissions to access that folder. 
The only way to solve that would be to either give the current user or USERS group write permission
to that folder manually, or disable UAC (which is not recommended).

Windows manages the privileges of the process context, that the thumbnail provider runs in,
so I can't change anything there.

The thumbnail provider would probably still be able to read from an existing cache from such 
a directory just not write to it until the permissions have been change manually. (I haven't tested this yet though).
(08-20-2015, 08:48 AM)Xanashi Wrote: MyLeech.US,
That is great! I'm glad to hear all your issues were solved with this release.
Thanks for letting me know.

cengizhan,
In that case, it sounds like the surrogate process of the Icaros Thumbnail Provider doesn't actually
have the necessary permissions to access that folder. 
The only way to solve that would be to either give the current user or USERS group write permission
to that folder manually, or disable UAC (which is not recommended).

Windows manages the privileges of the process context, that the thumbnail provider runs in,
so I can't change anything there.

The thumbnail provider would probably still be able to read from an existing cache from such 
a directory just not write to it until the permissions have been change manually. (I haven't tested this yet though).

i have done this and it works.

i want to ask another thing.  file modification date of files (Icaros_96.icdb and others) are not updated after cache file's size increased. is this intentional?
Xanashi,
I believe you could set the default location for the cache folder to something like %appdata%\IcarosCache (i.e C:Users\username\AppData\Roaming\IcarosCache), so when the program is installed for every user, each one would have their own cache folder created by Icaros (like Windows does for its internal thumbnails cache). This should avoid the read/write permissions issue  and keep the discretion of user data.
(08-20-2015, 07:48 PM)mertx Wrote: Xanashi,
I believe you could set the default location for the cache folder to something like %appdata%\IcarosCache (i.e C:Users\username\AppData\Roaming\IcarosCache), so when the program is installed for every user, each one would have their own cache folder created by Icaros (like Windows does for its internal thumbnails cache). This should avoid the read/write permissions issue  and keep the discretion of user data.

Thanks for the suggestion mertx. This is actually how it's working right now (in both beta 3 and 4). :)
Except it is using the Local appdata folder (same as Windows thumbnail cache). 
Nevertheless, good idea.