-->>Setup and usage<<--          
New Release: 3.0.0 RC 3
Good Evening Everyone,

I was honestly just going to add a welcome screen to IcarosConfig, before releasing the final, 
but I ended up fixing a good number of bugs along the way. 
Thanks to everyone who has helped out with these fixes!

This release also contains yet another new translation, Armenian, 
thanks to Aram Vardanyan! :)

Enjoy the new release! ;)

[Icaros v.3.0.0 RC 3]
- Added welcome screen on first time use
- Added Armenian localization (Thanks Aram!)
- Fixed wrong 'data rate' properties in certain AVI files
- Fixed bug where WMP would no longer add AVI files when Icaros was handling the properties
- Fixed thumbnailing of certain FLV files
- Fixed IC crash when using the 'Display overlay icons' feature
- Fixed IC crash when refreshing the thumbs of files that are in use
- Fixed the highlight on checkboxes and colorboxes in IC on Win 8+
- Fixed douple-clicking the very top of the window when IC is maximized
- Fixed hang in Flac cover parser when parsing rare invalid flac files
- Improved general cover parsing code
- Localizations are now sorted in alphabetical order
- Changed the default 'thumb page' color
- Updated existing localizations
- Updated FFmpeg

Icaros 3.0.0 RC 3 Installer: Download
Icaros 3.0.0 RC 3 Portable: Download
Confirming the crash when selecting display overlay icons is fixed on my system! Smile
Smile 
Hi Xanashi!
Just updated, and the installer dialogue and the Windows Installed Programs list say Icaros version 2.9.9, although everything else is correct!

I also discovered recently that with Icaros activated, there are no longer any thumbnails in the display of the Windows 8.1 Metro Photos app.
If I deactivate the Icaros thumbnailer, they come back!
Any thoughts on this, is something configured wrongly?
Cheers, Dave.
Hi Dave-H, 

The wrong version number in the installer is just me being lazy. I need to write a function that enables the 
installer script to understand my current versioning scheme. I haven't gotten around to it yet, so beta builds
currently have the wrong version displayed. 

The problem with the Photos app in Win 8+ is actually more of a Windows bug than an Icaros bug.
Microsoft designed the 'Metro Apps' to be more sandboxed when it comes to dependencies. 
While this is fine in general, it (unintentionally) breaks the interaction with most third-party shell extensions.

The sandbox-design of these apps only allow dependencies to be loaded from the System32 folder, or
the working folder of the running app. This means if you would like Icaros to work with e.g. Photos,
you would have to install Icaros directly in the System32 folder or within the Photos app own install folder. :/
(more specifically, you would have to copy the av*-ics-*.dll files into either folder for Icaros to work)

I can only imagine this was an oversight on Microsofts end, and wasn't actually the way they intended it to work.

The easiest solution right now is simply to remove the filetypes from Icaros that you currently want to see
in the Photos app, and let the default MS thumbnail provider handle these formats.
Smile 
Thanks Xanashi!
I had already discovered that the easiest way to fix it was to remove all the image file types from Icaros.
The Photos app is now displaying thumbnails again fine.
I only really need Icaros for video files' thumbnails, as images are fine with the native Windows Explorer thumbnails, so this is not a problem.
Good to know why the problem was happening though!
Smile
Just a quick off-topic aside, I have a program called MediaInfo installed, which gives me pop-up information on video files in Explorer.
Does the Icaros "properties" function do the same thing, and will it clash with MediaInfo if I enable it?
I did try enabling it, but nothing seemed to change, how does it actually display the properties information?
Cheers, Dave.
Getting a new crash with RC3 and the cache feature. I have mailed you the dump.
Happens on my Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise machine at work and my Windows 10 x64 Pro machine at home.
(12-21-2015, 04:55 AM)BrainDedd Wrote: Getting a new crash with RC3 and the cache feature. I have mailed you the dump.
Happens on my Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise machine at work and my Windows 10 x64 Pro machine at home.

Thank you for the mail. Haven't seen a crash like this before. I've replied to you via mail. :)
There is a showstopper with the cache functionality on Windows 10, which I have created a fix for,
however it doesn't seem to be related to this.
(11-15-2015, 11:36 AM)Dave-H Wrote: Just a quick off-topic aside, I have a program called MediaInfo installed, which gives me pop-up information on video files in Explorer.
Does the Icaros "properties" function do the same thing, and will it clash with MediaInfo if I enable it?
I did try enabling it, but nothing seemed to change, how does it actually display the properties information?
Cheers, Dave.

Completely forgot to answer this question. Sorry Dave. :(
I believe MediaInfo shows more info on file hover but in a more non-native way, while Icaros shows slightly less info (the rest of the info is available in the 'Details Pane' though)
but in a more native way (more integrated with Windows).
If the MediaInfo 'InfoTip' is already enabled when Icaros is activated, Icaros should respect this, and leave the InfoTip generation to MediaInfo.

I'm not sure what happens if Icaros has been activated first, and MediaInfo was enabled afterwards though. :/
(12-22-2015, 08:01 AM)Xanashi Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 04:55 AM)BrainDedd Wrote: Getting a new crash with RC3 and the cache feature. I have mailed you the dump.

Thank you for the mail. Haven't seen a crash like this before. I've replied to you via mail. Smile
There is a showstopper with the cache functionality on Windows 10, which I have created a fix for,
however it doesn't seem to be related to this.

Does the build linked in the first post contain the showstopper fix or can I get that build some place to test?
Would this vulnerability impact Icaros?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/zero-day-...8880.shtml

If so, can you please release an updated version soon?