-->>Setup and usage<<--          
New Release: 3.0.1 Beta 2
(06-22-2016, 08:54 PM)ZavierQuixote Wrote: You can also set the "epub" extension for Icaros thumbnail previews of image files (usually the book cover) contained inside of an ePub book, as this file format also uses zip compression.

Hmm... if that's the case, I'll definitely add it.
I will probably have to look up the file specification for epub first just to be sure. :)
(06-23-2016, 03:45 PM)Bruce Wayne Wrote: Bad news. The Icaros cache stopped working again. I had reinstalled Windows 10 and installed latest Icaros beta 2. It worked for a while.

I have noticed that the Icaros cache folder creates several different files:

[Image: TcUsGPl.jpg]

And only when the Icaros thumbnails are generated at 1280, "Win 10 Icons" Icaros size, dynamic or static, photo or video, they are used by Windows 10. Is there any way to force Icaros to always use 1280 when using dynamic cache?

I still don't know why Icaros dynamic cache works after a Windows 10 fresh install and later stops and then only works if forcing Icaros static cache Win 10 Icons. I don't have any special program installed, just internet browsers, Winrar, Icaros, etc.

Thanks. :)

Hmm... this is not the experience I had hoped for my users. :'(

Windows 10 almost always use the 1280 for video thumbnails, no matter what size they are displayed in, in File Explorer.
Image thumbnails are generally stored in the sizes 96 and 256. 

The dynamic cache stores the thumbnails in the size File Explorer requests when the thumbnailing occurs. 
So unless you often changes the view size in Explorer, it should be storing your thumbnails in the correct size in the cache.

I'm currently working on some improvements to the cache. 
It would be great if we could make all this cache stuff a more stable "set and forget" kind of option. :)
(08-17-2016, 06:56 AM)Xanashi Wrote:
(06-23-2016, 03:45 PM)Bruce Wayne Wrote: Bad news. The Icaros cache stopped working again. I had reinstalled Windows 10 and installed latest Icaros beta 2. It worked for a while.

I have noticed that the Icaros cache folder creates several different files:

[Image: TcUsGPl.jpg]

And only when the Icaros thumbnails are generated at 1280, "Win 10 Icons" Icaros size, dynamic or static, photo or video, they are used by Windows 10. Is there any way to force Icaros to always use 1280 when using dynamic cache?

I still don't know why Icaros dynamic cache works after a Windows 10 fresh install and later stops and then only works if forcing Icaros static cache Win 10 Icons. I don't have any special program installed, just internet browsers, Winrar, Icaros, etc.

Thanks. Smile

Hmm... this is not the experience I had hoped for my users. :'(

Windows 10 almost always use the 1280 for video thumbnails, no matter what size they are displayed in, in File Explorer.
Image thumbnails are generally stored in the sizes 96 and 256. 

The dynamic cache stores the thumbnails in the size File Explorer requests when the thumbnailing occurs. 
So unless you often changes the view size in Explorer, it should be storing your thumbnails in the correct size in the cache.

I'm currently working on some improvements to the cache. 
It would be great if we could make all this cache stuff a more stable "set and forget" kind of option. Smile

i hope that cache folder user permission will be improved too.  i am using zip version. and i always have to add myself to user list to folder's permission list. no other portable program have this kind of problem.
(07-10-2016, 01:33 PM)Schroff87 Wrote: It works fine on Win 10 14385. Just one problem, it is slower to thumbnail m2ts files v/s 3.0 stable.

PDF files are thumbnailed if you install Sumatra PDF. Either user can install that or you can ask for assistance from its author.

Let me see if I can reproduce the m2ts slowdown. Could be due to changes in FFmpeg. 

Thanks for suggesting Sumatra. I just have the portable version of it, and didn't know it could 
thumbnail PDF files. Good to know. :)
(07-31-2016, 02:27 AM)xtali007 Wrote: Cant get it to work in windows 10, no matter the version. It just keeps showing the default thumbnails that windows chose. Anyone have a fix?

It almost sounds like thumbnailing hasn't been activated yet. 
Make sure it says ACTIVATED under THUMBNAILING in IcarosConfig.

Don't worry about the cache settings in IcarosConfig, just keep them disabled for now. 

Could you provide me with a screenshot of your IcarosConfig settings?
(08-14-2016, 06:17 AM)moevora Wrote: Umm, hello want to report.. my explorer doesnt work now.. it cant handle much data..

Going to answer your posts one at a time:

1. It is possible to correct thumbnails like these. First of all make sure you have 'black/white frame detection' enabled on the thumbnailing page.
If it is already enabled, you may want to increase the 'threshold' value to something a bit higher.

To refresh a thumbnail, simply drag and drop that file into the 'thumbnailing' page of IcarosConfig.

Alternatively to change these thumbnails, you can change the thumbnail offset, and then drag and drop the files into IcarosConfig to refresh them.

2. How did you get epub files to thumbnail? :D
I'm pretty sure I haven't added that format to Icaros yet. *scratching head*

3. Could you please elaborate. How does your Explorer not work? No thumbnails?
(08-17-2016, 11:56 AM)cengizhan Wrote: i hope that cache folder user permission will be improved too.  i am using zip version. and i always have to add myself to user list to folder's permission list. no other portable program have this kind of problem.

cengizhan, could you refresh my memory here. 
Is it a problem with the cache locations?
(08-18-2016, 04:48 AM)Xanashi Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 11:56 AM)cengizhan Wrote: i hope that cache folder user permission will be improved too.  i am using zip version. and i always have to add myself to user list to folder's permission list. no other portable program have this kind of problem.

cengizhan, could you refresh my memory here. 
Is it a problem with the cache locations?

i am using zip version in drive d. i cannot set set location to any folder on drive d. it always gives error "selected fodler doesnt have the proper read/write permissions". but i can copy/dlete anything on that folder.
(08-18-2016, 04:45 AM)Xanashi Wrote: 2. How did you get epub files to thumbnail? Big Grin

Well well well... I was going to wait until the dust settled on Beta 2 before asking for that feature!

Someone earlier said this:
Quote:You can also set the "epub" extension for Icaros thumbnail previews of image files (usually the book cover) contained inside of an ePub book, as this file format also uses zip compression.

But I'm sure it's more complex than that...

~koog.
(08-14-2016, 06:17 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Going to answer your posts one at a time:

1. It is possible to correct thumbnails like these. First of all make sure you have 'black/white frame detection' enabled on the thumbnailing page.
If it is already enabled, you may want to increase the 'threshold' value to something a bit higher.

To refresh a thumbnail, simply drag and drop that file into the 'thumbnailing' page of IcarosConfig.

Alternatively to change these thumbnails, you can change the thumbnail offset, and then drag and drop the files into IcarosConfig to refresh them.

2. How did you get epub files to thumbnail? Big Grin

3. Could you please elaborate. How does your Explorer not work? No thumbnails?

Oh wow, thanks for the guide.. I didnt know that..
2. I just added 'epub' to thumbnail filetypes.. forget it then..
3. Well the explorer just freeze and I cant do anything in the folder (thumbnail generated but freeze halfway, cant delete/copy/move)
But, it works fine now after I clear the caches and restart.. >.>
From my guess the problem caused by pdf handlers from 'PDF Preview for Windows 10'.. I was trying to get thumbnail for my pdfs files, so I downloaded this program..

btw, SumatraPDF installer type can generate thumbnails for pdfs in win10?
I used SumatraPDF (portable) myself..