-->>Setup and usage<<--          
New Release: 3.0.3 FINAL
Star 
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Once again two new releases today.
Finishing up 3.0.3 and introducing 3.1.0 Beta 1.

First up the final version of 3.0.3.
This will officially be the last version to support Windows XP.
The reason being that FFmpeg recently dropped support for Windows XP,
and we're simply following suit, as we rely heavily on FFmpeg for thumbnailing.

Also for the sake of transparency here are the donation numbers for 2017:
$ 222,30

which after paypal fees are:
$ 194,57

Thanks to everybody who has donated, reported bugs, and just overall supported and used Icaros these past many years!
You're all keeping the development alive and well. 

New beta will follow along shortly, stay tuned!
But for now, enjoy the new release! ;)

[Icaros v.3.0.3 Final]

- Switched to the new FFmpeg decoding API
- Added prompt if IcarosConfig is closed while the cache indexer is running
- Added some additional error checks to the Icaros Cache Indexer
- IcarosConfig now shows the filename of the file that is currently being processed by the cache indexer
- Fixed parsing of subdirectories if a root (e.g. C:\) is added to the Cache Locations
- Fixed decoding of H264 444 files (no more gray frames)
- Updated default page colors
- Updated to VS 2017
- Updated copyright to 2018
- Updated FFmpeg

Icaros 3.0.3 Final Installer: Download
Icaros 3.0.3 Final Portable: Download

Issue Tracker
Thanks a lot.
You're welcome, Lenmaer.
Truly appreciate your continued support and feedback!
I continue to have the same issue with new icaros:  the property handler fails to provide info to WMP and
Windows Search re: mp3 files.  The explorer DETAILS pane works fine, but WMP can not "extract" any ID3 info from the files, adding them into the wmp library as "unknown author" "unknown title", etc.  Rebuilding the wmp library with icaros properties activated highlights this issue - everything is pretty much unknown.  uncheck icaros properties for .mp3 and rebuild and it's ok again.

These MP3 files all have ID3V1 tags; only a few have V2 tags [2.3, not 2.4].  THEY ARE ALL MARKED READ-ONLY [to stop WMP from updating the tags in them]  Maybe the RO flag is causing icaros issues too?

BTW, .flac files and .m4a files work fine with re: to the above.  just mp3's.

it would seem the prop-handler is returning fail when invoked by wmp or windows search [ie as an .mp3 I-Filter]

my sys: W7HomePremx64, WMP12
I'm sorry, all of the above is my own fault  -  I failed to install the x32 portion!!!!  It was unchecked by default and I therefore _ASSUMED_ that I didn't need it.  Yeah, I do...

When installed properly it works just fine, WMP does detect all the files just fine, and the details pane works fine too.  Sorry for the false alarm.

I would recommend that the installer PRE-CHECK both x64 and x32 on x64 systems, so others don't assume wrongly as I did.

Thanks for continuing to develop this product...

-=PSH=-
Hi javacatpaul,

Thanks for the feedback and report... and solution. ;)
Optimal troubleshooting right there. 

I completely agree with your recommendation, it does seem worth it for most users,
so I'll make it the default from the next build onwards. 

Appreciate the feedback and support! Thank you!
Can this program be made to cache all icons like game and program icons? It already works fine caching video/picture icons and thumbnails. I have two folders I made, one for game shortcuts and one for program shortcuts. Have quite a few shortcuts in both. Apparently Microsoft is not caching stuff like that cause each time I open them after a restart, it's takes windows like a minute to display all the icons. It displays the shortcut names instantly but icon loading is super slow.

[Image: M8jHU4J.jpg]
(05-05-2018, 01:12 PM)Mike Lyno Wrote: Can this program be made to cache all icons like game and program icons? It already works fine caching video/picture icons and thumbnails. I have two folders I made, one for game shortcuts and one for program shortcuts. Have quite a few shortcuts in both. Apparently Microsoft is not caching stuff like that cause each time I open them after a restart, it's takes windows like a minute to display all the icons. It displays the shortcut names instantly but icon loading is super slow.

[Image: M8jHU4J.jpg]

That sounds like something is misconfigured. I have a remote media folder with Extra Large Icons assigned to folders via a desktop.ini and it loads in seconds after a cache refresh.

[Image: VT7atJQ.png]

So lets see what's causing the problem.
  • First, specs? (specifically how many threads does your CPU have, and how much ram?)
  • Are your icons/thumbs for shortcuts showing up in the cache at all?
       - Download Thumbcache Viewer and Thumbs Viewer
       - Open C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and look at what's in your cache
       - If the icons are cached, are they cached at the correct resolution?
  • HDD or SSD? And is your paging file on the same drive? If not, is that a HDD or SSD?
  • Have your tried stopping windows from deleting the thumbnail/icon cache permanently? (see Prevent Windows 10 From Deleting Thumbnail Cache)
  • Does this happen to all folders on your system, or just when there are a crap ton of icons?
  • Are the shortcut folders included in the index? Are the programs/games included in the index?
  • What shell extensions do you have installed?
       - Download ShellExView and post a screen of all the Non-Microsoft extensions currently enabled (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Lastly, try clearing your folder view cache/history (see Reset Folder View For All Folders in Windows 10)
       - I've had errors in the past that caused particular folders to constantly reset the folder view settings and thus refresh the icons every time I logged off. The only solution was to clear shellbags registry.
Your comparison folder was a completely different situation than what I was talking about. Your folder was made up of media files. I have absolutely no problem displaying icons/thumbs of any media files. I'm talking about the loading of icons/thumbs of other than media files like game and program shortcuts, which are not media files. They are primarily exe files.
(05-11-2018, 11:43 AM)Mike Lyno Wrote: Your comparison folder was a completely different situation than what I was talking about. Your folder was made up of media files. I have absolutely no problem displaying icons/thumbs of any media files. I'm talking about the loading of icons/thumbs of other than media files like game and program shortcuts, which are not media files. They are primarily exe files.

I understand that. I was simply trying to point out that even a worst case scenario for a thumbnail handler (remote files) wouldn't take that long to generate and there is probably something you can do to fix the situation. It wasn't meant to be a 1-to-1 comparison. That's why I suggested things like clearing your folder view cache, inspecting your icon/thumb cache, inspecting your shell extensions, etc... Literally all questions regarding your local filesystem, it's ability to generate thumbnails/icons, and bottlenecks it may hit along the way.

Just trying to help buddy.... I'm a programmer and I've written a bunch of icon handlers and other shell extensions in the past, and I've had to diagnose a lot of bugs. So maybe give my last post another try?