-->>Setup and usage<<--          
QuickTime Poster Frames Display?
Hi everyone, just joined after starting to use Icaros on Windows 8.1 64 bit and 32 bit, and it's great.
Thanks you so much to the developers!

Just one thing would make it perfect for me, and that is if it would extract the poster frames on QuickTime movie (.mov) files and use them to generate the thumbnail for those files.

For many years I have used quickthumb.dll on Windows XP to generate thumbnails, and have for years set the poster frame on QuickTime files so that is used by quickthumb for the thumbnail in Explorer.

Unfortunately, quickthumb won't work n Windows 8.1, 64 bit or 32 bit, at least I can't get it to work!
It registers OK and seems installed properly as a shell extension (at least on 32 bit) but won't actually generate any thumbnails.

I see Icaros can extract specific thumbnail cover art from some files, if it could do that with the poster frames of QuickTime files too it would be an enormous improvement, at least as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for reading, cheers, Dave.
Smile
Smile 
@Xanashi, any thoughts/feedback on this?
Is it even possible, and if so is it ever likely to be included?
Cheers,
Dave.
Smile
Oh, I never noticed the this thread, so sorry about that. :|
It may be due to my email filter being suddenly far more aggressive than it used to, so I'm missing quite a few notifications.

Basically it should already be possible to view Album/Cover Art in MP4/MOV files.
Could you send me a sample file of one of your mov files that doesn't display cover in Explorer, I'll be sure to look into it.

Thanks for getting back to me, even though I missed your post the first time around.
Thanks Xanashi!
I've made a small QuickTime movie for you to experiment with.
I'm trying to attach it to this post but it's not working.
I'm getting a message at the top of the post saying "Please correct the following errors before continuing:" but it doesn't say what the error is! It's a .mov file size 359Kb.
Any idea why i can't attach it?
Cheers,
Dave.
Smile
The file extension is the problem. just rename to .txt
or use something to compress it such as WinZip, 7zip, WinRAR, etc.
Ah thanks, I've put it into a zip file.

.zip   Leader.zip (Size: 289.96 KB / Downloads: 329)

It's just a countdown leader.
It you open it in the QuickTime Player, and select View>Go To Poster Frame it should jump to here -

That's what I see in Windows Explorer as the thumbnail in Windows XP, extracted by quickthumb.dll.
In Windows 8.1 with Icaros, I just see a grey frame.

If it's at all possible for Icaros to display the poster frame from the file instead, that would be fantastic, as all my collection of QuickTime moves have manually defined poster frames to identify them.
Cheers,
Dave.
Smile
Thanks for the sample! ^__^

This feature will be implemented by the next release. ;)
That's great news Xanashi!
I hope it's not too difficult to implement.
Cheers,
Dave.
Smile
Thumbs Up 
Really sorry Xanashi that it's taken me so long to get back here to say thank you for adding thumbnail generation from QuickTime poster frames!
I've been experimenting with it, and 90% of the time it works beautifully.
There's just a few files where it still doesn't produce the correct frame for some reason, and I'm trying to determine what they have in common.
Thanks again, Dave.
Smile
Hi Dave,

No worries. ^__^
Glad it works on the majority of your files. 

Another user actually reported some similar issues with wrong poster frames being shown, so I'm actually looking into this right now.
If you could upload a sample file to me, where a wrong poster frame is shown in Explorer, that would be a great help. :)