-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Stop Windows from Deleting Thumbnail Cache
Is there a way that I can stop Windows from deleting the Thumbnail Cache? Or at the very least a way to increase the Thumbnail cache size?

I know that back on Windows 7 I was able to change the permissions on the "Explorer" folder where all the cache files are, but for some reason I been getting weird results when using that same trick on Windows 8.1.

Also I know that I was able to use a registry hack to allow me to increase the size of my "Icon Cache", but I can't seem to find any registry hacks for the Thumbnail cache.

Any ideas would be great, I'm sick of going thru my videos folders waiting for thumbnails to load and then having to do it all over again every couple days.
Hi Zain,

As far as I know, there is no way to prevent Windows from deleting its thumbnail cache. And there is no way to increase the cache size. 
I've been looking for a solution for this for a long time now, and so far to no avail. 

The Windows thumbnail cache even has some registry settings that theoretically should give the user options for the cache,
but even with these settings modified, the cache still behaves the exact same.

The only solution I can offer is to enable the Icaros cache. 
This will speed up the thumbnail "regeneration" a lot. 

If you open IcarosConfig and set the Cache to 'Enabled (Dynamic)', the cache will automatically fill up next time your files are
thumbnailed, and any subsequent thumbnailing of the same files will be much much faster.
It is not too difficult to do.

First, open up the Task Scheduler and disable or delete any maintenance stuff. At your own risk, of course, but it is what I do as I handle everything myself.

Then, navigate to C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows then right click on the Explorer folder and choose Properties. Click the Security tab. Click Advanced. Click Change Permissions.

For all accounts shown, set them to Deny for "Delete subfolders and files" and "Delete."

Reboot for good measure. Enjoy. Any questions or problems, I can likely help.

There is also a registry entry you can change to allow as much thumbnails as you want (you can make much higher than default) before Windows kicks in and messes with it. It probably is not necessary after the above, but if interested, you can likely Google find it.
I am on Windows 7 SP1 x64, but here is what may be a helpful picture of my enabled tasks, for anyone interested:

[Image: Capture_6.png~original]
Windows 7 SP1 x64
(01-22-2017, 07:24 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Hi Zain,

As far as I know, there is no way to prevent Windows from deleting its thumbnail cache. And there is no way to increase the cache size.
I've been looking for a solution for this for a long time now, and so far to no avail.

The Windows thumbnail cache even has some registry settings that theoretically should give the user options for the cache,
but even with these settings modified, the cache still behaves the exact same.

The only solution I can offer is to enable the Icaros cache.
This will speed up the thumbnail "regeneration" a lot.

If you open IcarosConfig and set the Cache to 'Enabled (Dynamic)', the cache will automatically fill up next time your files are
thumbnailed, and any subsequent thumbnailing of the same files will be much much faster.

Thanks for the reply.

(01-24-2017, 03:24 PM)ChrisPierman Wrote: It is not too difficult to do.

First, open up the Task Scheduler and disable or delete any maintenance stuff. At your own risk, of course, but it is what I do as I handle everything myself.

Then, navigate to C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows then right click on the Explorer folder and choose Properties. Click the Security tab. Click Advanced. Click Change Permissions.

For all accounts shown, set them to Deny for "Delete subfolders and files" and "Delete."

Reboot for good measure. Enjoy. Any questions or problems, I can likely help.

There is also a registry entry you can change to allow as much thumbnails as you want (you can make much higher than default) before Windows kicks in and messes with it. It probably is not necessary after the above, but if interested, you can likely Google find it.

Yeah I used to use this same method when I was on Win7, but recently just switched over to Win8.1 and it would appear that this method isn't working as it did before.

If I use this method as I did on Win7, the thumbnail cache will remain, however, at some point over time, Windows will start ignoring the thumbnail cache and will then start to reload thumbnail images every time I open a folder that has pictures or videos. Even if I close out the folder and immediately reopen it, I can see Windows reloading the Thumbnails.

I'm still gonna do a little bit more testing but as of right now I've just gone ahead and enabled Dynamic cache in Icaros this way when Windows does delete the thumbnail cache, it does load much faster than if it were disabled. However, it still isn't as fast as before when I was able to stop Windows from deleting the thumbnail cache.

Just a heads up, I never had to disable any "Maintenance Tasks" to get this to work on Win7. However, in Win8.1 there is a new "Automatic Maintenance" task that I did disable for other reasons not related to Thumbnail Cache.