-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Thanks, larger thumbnails?
Hi

Thank you very much for this wonderful program that embarrasses Microsoft by making Windows Explorer a much more useful program.

Just one query. Is it possible to make the size of the thumbnails in the Details pane much bigger?

Of course the Extra large icons view presents a very big view of the file as an icon, which is now greatly improved by Icaros overlaying a poster from inside the file, but the sidebar thumbnail is not very big and it would be great to make it much bigger.

Thanks
Hi inspector71,

I'm very happy to hear you like Icaros! :)

I assume you're asking this question from Windows 10?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to change the size of the thumbnail in the Details pane anymore.
Microsoft made that thumbnail a fixed size.

The alternative to get a larger preview thumbnail is to use the Preview pane instead, but that will of course
remove the Details pane and all the metadata it displays.

Tbh, this actually seems like drawback from upgrading to 10 as it was more flexible in earlier iterations of Windows (Win7 and Vista).

There may be ways to tweak this, however I'm not aware of any atm.
(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Hi inspector71,

I'm very happy to hear you like Icaros! Smile

I assume you're asking this question from Windows 10?

Hi again! Thanks again. Icaros has continued to work well and make life easier. I've installed it on another machine and will slowly continue to do so as it hopefully keeps proving itself Smile

I'm asking about Windows 7 and/or 8.1 as both seem to present very small thumbnails in the Details pane. I use W10 at work but haven't needed to install Icaros on it yet.

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to change the size of the thumbnail in the Details pane anymore.
Microsoft made that thumbnail a fixed size.

That's a real shame. The size is not editable in the registry?

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)Xanashi Wrote: The alternative to get a larger preview thumbnail is to use the Preview pane instead, but that will of course remove the Details pane and all the metadata it displays.

Ah, I just noticed this behaviour by toggling from Details to Preview. Earlier I had a surprise in that I noticed similar large-size thumbnails in the file open/save dialogs and thought I'd found a clue to the change I'm hoping for Smile Your explanation clears that up though.

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Tbh, this actually seems like drawback from upgrading to 10 as it was more flexible in earlier iterations of Windows (Win7 and Vista).
I agree and I would re-install W7 if I knew it had bigger thumbnails as I'm only running 8.1 because I kinda got forced into it and there's plenty of reasons I want to go back to 7. But on a secondary W7 Ultimate system, the thumbnails are still quite small.

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)Xanashi Wrote: There may be ways to tweak this, however I'm not aware of any atm.

Fair enough. It would be good if it was editable in the registry.

Thanks for your reply.
(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)inspector71 Wrote: Hi again! Thanks again. Icaros has continued to work well and make life easier. I've installed it on another machine and will slowly continue to do so as it hopefully keeps proving itself :)

I'm asking about Windows 7 and/or 8.1 as both seem to present very small thumbnails in the Details pane. I use W10 at work but haven't needed to install Icaros on it yet.

That makes me very glad to hear! :)
Hope you'll keep finding it useful.

In Windows 7, it is possible to increase the size of the Details pane thumbnail. Simply drag the panel up to make it larger, this will increase the size of the thumbnail
as well. Again, it can't grow indefinitely, Microsoft has set a limit to this thumbnail as well, but it's slightly more flexible than in newer versions of Windows.

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)inspector71 Wrote: That's a real shame. The size is not editable in the registry?

Not to my knowledge. :(

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)inspector71 Wrote: I agree and I would re-install W7 if I knew it had bigger thumbnails as I'm only running 8.1 because I kinda got forced into it and there's plenty of reasons I want to go back to 7. But on a secondary W7 Ultimate system, the thumbnails are still quite small.

Try the trick I wrote about above and see if that helps on your secondary W7 system. Another option is to have both the Details pane and Preview pane enabled
at the same time on Windows 7. Again something that can't be done in newer versions of Windows.

(08-30-2016, 05:19 AM)inspector71 Wrote: Fair enough. It would be good if it was editable in the registry.

Thanks for your reply.

Agreed. Would be great with some more customization options here.