-->>Setup and usage<<--          
WMC, 64-bit, Windows 10, TrueHD 7.1 Issues
(02-03-2017, 07:49 AM)Shark007 Wrote:
(02-02-2017, 10:13 AM)Shark007 Wrote: There is a button on the Misc TAB, [Analyze a media file] which will tell you the exact contents of any media file.

Along with checking the file contents, another possible file issue is the construction of the MKV file themselves. On my Tools page is a program called Metafox. That program can make an MKV from just about any source but it will also extract and re-construct from an existing MKV to a new MKV. Worth a shot.  On a side note, if your test files are other than MKV, you should know that TS derivatives can be a real problem until they get converted to MKV files.

Yeah that last sentence of yours seems like the most logical explanation...since all the test files are coming from the same source, namely, this link: Dolby Sound Files

Specifically, the files on that page with ATMOS in the description. 

Really, everything else I have was playing fine in WMC. Those ATMOS files did play fine in WMP, but never in WMC.

When I get time I'll check out your tools page. Thanks for the help.
To test, I went to the Dolby site you posted and downloaded the 1st Atmos MKV, Amaze (Lossless-ATMOS)
I had no issue getting it to work.
For some people, not all, choosing to disable the Microsoft Video decoder on the SWAP TAB seems to give them better results.
(02-03-2017, 08:30 AM)Shark007 Wrote: To test, I went to the Dolby site you posted and downloaded the 1st Atmos MKV, Amaze (Lossless-ATMOS)
I had no issue getting it to work.
For some people, not all, choosing to disable the Microsoft Video decoder on the SWAP TAB seems to give them better results.

that's a great video btw Wink

You use WMC on Windows 10 too?

Yeah I haven't tried that option in the SWAP TAB because it says it will break LiveTV...and I use LiveTV.   But I will give that a shot to see if it does fix the issue.
(02-03-2017, 10:51 AM)spearoid Wrote: You use WMC on Windows 10 too?

Yeah I haven't tried that option in the SWAP TAB because it says it will break LiveTV...and I use LiveTV.   But I will give that a shot to see if it does fix the issue.

I do not use WMC on Windows 10 but I do have it installed for testing.
The warning is there to inform just in case you experience LiveTV issues and you'd be aware  of the cause.
Disabling that decoder does nor necessarily break LiveTV.
well this probably won't be a very helpful post because I'm at work and can't recall the exact details...but I was able to get the videos to play in WMC of those troubled files last night.....but no audio. It's the first time they've actually loaded and played frames though, so I found it kind of encouraging. I hadn't made many changes to your settings, but atm I cannot recall exactly what settings I changed, if any.

UPDATE

So I just logged in remotely...looks like what I did was uncheck the disable Windows Media Foundation checkbox in the MKV tab...that's what enabled the videos to play, albeit with no audio.
So maybe this tells us nothing, but I have narrowed the problem down to Dolby ATMOS files.....Those other files that were playing fine were DTS:X files.

I don't have an ATMOS receiver....I have a 7.2 Onkyo receiver.  But still, in Windows Media Player, all the files play 7.1 audio fine. Only in WMC, ATMOS audio files will not play. I am not sure what changed but those ATMOS files will now play, video frames that is....just no audio.
On the SWAP TAB, choose to disable the Microsoft Audio decoder
Yeah I know I tried that before....but maybe will give it a shot again.

At the moment I've uninstalled all codecs....and am going to try my normal minimalistic approach.

Most of my videos play with just the default codecs in Windows 10. 

Publications online seem to indicate Windows 10 has native support for Dolby Atmos....but those videos play smoothly with no audio just like they had been doing with your codec pack.

Could you tell me what specific codec or codecs are needed just to get Dolby Atmos audio reliably? Or are there too many variables involved?

I'd like to only install what I absolutely need to install......currently almost all my movies, mkv, mp4, etc, play fine in WMC with no codec packs. There are a couple videos that won't play, and then none of my Dolby Atmos audio can be processed.
(02-15-2017, 12:27 PM)spearoid Wrote: Could you tell me what specific codec or codecs are needed just to get Dolby Atmos audio reliably? Or are there too many variables involved?

All the information required is posted in this thread already.
I have no new information to offer.
(02-15-2017, 01:41 PM)Shark007 Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 12:27 PM)spearoid Wrote: Could you tell me what specific codec or codecs are needed just to get Dolby Atmos audio reliably? Or are there too many variables involved?

All the information required is posted in this thread already.
I have no new information to offer.

ha, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned that I'm trying this without your codec pack. Smile 

I see nothing in this thread that specifies which codec in your pack is responsible for decoding Dolby Atmos audio. All I see are suggestions to disable or adjust certain settings within your utility....but whatever, you're under no obligation to help me any further. I appreciate the help you already gave trying to help me get this working.