-->>Setup and usage<<--          
WMC, 64-bit, Windows 10, TrueHD 7.1 Issues
(02-15-2017, 02:01 PM)spearoid Wrote: I see nothing in this thread that specifies which codec in your pack is responsible for decoding Dolby Atmos audio.

Nothing is capable of decoding Atmos Audio with a PC.
An AVR supporting Atmos is required.
hmm...that is interesting indeed....I do wish I understood better how the whole process works from playing in Windows programs to seeing and hearing the output content.

It seems that software plays some sort of a role in the handling of the Dolby Atmos audio specifically since I could get the Atmos files to play properly in WMP but not WMC....I guess decoding was the wrong word to use in my question. 

Without your codec pack installed, WMP just plays the videos with no audio.....with your codec pack WMP plays the files and I get 7.1 audio (I guess it gets down-sampled somehow) out of my Onkyo (it's not an Atmos receiver). That's why I concluded there is something (maybe not a codec?) in your package that enables WMP to send the Atmos audio to my receiver properly.

It's definitely odd to me that all the other digital audio formats get bitstreamed to the Onkyo properly and play as they should, DTS, 7.1, 5.1....and so far Atmos audio has only passed properly with your codec pack and just WMP playing.

I updated my R7 200 driver last week hoping that somehow it was the failure point, but no dice.
If your AVR supported Atmos, it would receive the Atmos signal for further processing.
Since your AVR does not support Atmos, the AVR reports that it is receiving a TrueHD signal which is correct.

When using WMC, it is a 64bit Player and settings need to be made in the 64bit Settings Application to affect its playback.
(02-15-2017, 04:41 PM)Shark007 Wrote: If your AVR supported Atmos, it would receive the Atmos signal for further processing.
Since your AVR does not support Atmos, the AVR reports that it is receiving a TrueHD signal which is correct.

When using WMC, it is a 64bit Player and settings need to be made in the 64bit Settings Application to affect its playback.

yeah that makes sense....and I can understand why WMP might allow my audio to work while WMC doesn't....since they're different architecture types and will draw upon a different set of files/libraries/codecs......I theorized in the beginning that I could resolve all of this by just using 32-bit WMC....but have resisted going that nuclear route

My question now is, what is the software in your codec pack that is enabling WMP to pass that Atmos audio properly, since WMP is unable to do that natively in Windows 10 without your codec pack installed? Maybe there's not even one single answer to that question. I don't really know. 

...preparing to turn my two launch keys :p
LAV Filters is allowing the digital audio signals to be sent to the AVR for processing when you select the HDMI setting in my App(s)

WMC is somewhat more strict (locked down) about using the Microsoft provided decoders but this can often be overcome by choosing to disable the Microsoft Video and/or Audio decoder on my 64bit SWAP TAB along with other settings previously suggested in this thread.

If you prefer to do this all on your own without the assistance of my software, have at er. It makes no difference to me.
Its not like I sell this stuff to you. I provide the software to make your life easier. simple as that.
I've been at this for over 15 years and have shared my experience(s) freely throughout that time.
I should also state, once or twice a month, a rare user will step up and send me a donation which I do appreciate, immensely.

One last note, If you chose to disable UAC, you caused your own problems. (spoken from that experience I mentioned earlier)
(02-15-2017, 06:46 PM)Shark007 Wrote: LAV Filters is allowing the digital audio signals to be sent to the AVR for processing when you select the HDMI setting in my App(s)

WMC is somewhat more strict (locked down) about using the Microsoft provided decoders but this can often be overcome by choosing to disable the Microsoft Video and/or Audio decoder on my 64bit SWAP TAB along with other settings previously suggested in this thread.

If you prefer to do this all on your own without the assistance of my software, have at er. It makes no difference to me.
Its not like I sell this stuff to you. I provide the software to make your life easier. simple as that.
I've been at this for over 15 years and have shared my experience(s) freely throughout that time.
I should also state, once or twice a month, a rare user will step up and send me a donation which I do appreciate, immensely.

One last note, If you chose to disable UAC, you caused your own problems. (spoken from that experience I mentioned earlier)

I'm perfectly happy to use your software...or any for that matter...if it resolves my issue. You have been very helpful and responsive to my neediness, and I really do appreciate that. I'm also happy to donate to guys like you who contribute to areas pertaining to my nerdish delights.....and while my responses in this thread may seem to belie what I'm about to say, IT/computers/audio/video are my livelihood and I know what you mean about giving of your time for free to others in matters such as these. Smile

Well I just finished trying several things....removing all codecs, going with your standard package.....got WMP to work, tried similar 64-bit settings, no dice....tried disabling the Audio decoder in the SWAP tab, and tried disabling other Microsoft items with no success.....then I installed your latest advanced package and got the same exact results. Only, with the Advanced package I have to uncheck the "disable FFDShow" option in the Misc tab to avoid WMC crashing when hitting play on those files. I've tried what I believe is every suggested combination of settings and other combinations I was just using for trial and error. It's entirely possible, if not probable, that something is just fouled up with my installation of Windows and/or WMC.

I am not even sure if 32-bit WMC will function correctly in 64-bit Windows....I mean, I know 32-bit software should work...but this is Microsoft we're talking about here.

If it's anything like MS Office.....where I learned the possible advantages of using 64-bit Office are outweighed by the inability of 64-bit PowerPoint to handle various audio and video files.....maybe 32-bit WMC will prove to be the better choice anyway.
32bit WMC will not function properly on 64bit Windows.
(02-15-2017, 07:19 PM)Shark007 Wrote: 32bit WMC will not function properly on 64bit Windows.

ha, I guess I'm about to find that out!  I just finished editing the installation script to skip the CPU architecture check so that it would install and it seemed to. Smile

Time to see how haywire things will be.
(02-15-2017, 07:27 PM)spearoid Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 07:19 PM)Shark007 Wrote: 32bit WMC will not function properly on 64bit Windows.

ha, I guess I'm about to find that out!  I just finished editing the installation script to skip the CPU architecture check so that it would install and it seemed to. Smile

Time to see how haywire things will be.

So I'm not sure if this tells us anything new....but I did tinker with 32-bit WMC....it failed miserably....had to run sfc /scannow to fix things so that I could put 64-bit WMC back on.....once I got it all installed and working again the situation was the same as it has been.

But I loaded up 64-bit WMP this time instead of the 32-bit version I've been using....and 64-bit Windows Media Player seemed to do exactly what WMC has been doing with those files....just sitting at 0:00.  So maybe that was to be expected, but it's the first time I've seen anything other than WMC struggle to play these files.