-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Win 10 April 2018 Update & MKV with tags
(07-09-2018, 06:14 AM)Shark007 Wrote: OK, I had issues but do have some results to share.

At one point, I had difficulty even adding the tagged video to the Library.
The untagged video added always without issue.

I decided to rename it to avi
Once added with the avi extension, the filename changed from  'SampleVideo_Tagged' to 'SampleVideo (720p)'
Then I changed it back to MKV and it added to the Library with the same filename change occuring.
This filename change is only in the Library, not the actual filename itself.

I don't know if any of this information is helpful to you but it is what I have so far.

That sounds pretty close to what I have been reporting.

When you were having trouble adding the tagged MKV to the library, did you happen to check under the music section?  For me, it was showing up under it's genre tags as music, not video.

With Icaros enabled in Shark007 (it still takes some fiddling, like going in and turning off then on properties in Icaros, etc), it will start showing up in the video section of the library but it will not have genre metadata.

The change in name is the reading of the name field inherent to the MKV container itself.  It's a form of metadata but not part of the global tag metadata for genre, etc.  It's the only piece of metadata that is part of the container itself.  The untagged MKV does not have even have that filled in so it just always displays the filename.

The rest of the metadata is contained in an embedded file in the MKV container that will list as "global tags" in mkvtoolnix.  WMP never did read many of the possible tags but three that it would use were title (separate from the container's field), genre and parental rating.  Files that contain this metadata file are the ones now giving problems under the April 2018 update.

What you didn't say is if the tagged video as .avi showed up under the 720p & High Definition genres.  I'm going to assume not because it's not they're not on either the Shark007 and no Shark007 PCs I just tested it on here.

I appreciate you testing.  As I said, this seems to be caused by a change in Windows 10/WMP's basic handling of the files and not really Shark007's fault.  Although maybe the pack can ameliorate it (it already can in a basic way).  I was just hoping that some like-minded individuals that might frequent this forum might have some suggestions or ways to correct the problem.
some more preliminary results...
testing on a clean installation of Windows 10 that includes the April update (no other installation at all)
the tagged video gets added to the Music Library and under Genre I see 720p High Definition
the untagged video gets added as a video
(07-09-2018, 09:02 AM)Shark007 Wrote: some more preliminary results...
testing on a clean installation of Windows 10 that includes the April update (no other installation at all)
the tagged video gets added to the Music Library and under Genre I see 720p High Definition
the untagged video gets added as a video

That's exactly the behavior I am seeing as well.
My current opinion, there is something wrong with the tagging
Are you using the latest version of mkvtoolnix?

I subsequently tested enabling/disabling Icaros only to prove to myself that it has no effect on this issue.
(07-09-2018, 09:13 AM)Shark007 Wrote: Mu current opinion, there is something wrong with the tagging
Are you using the latest version of mkvtoolnix?

Yes.  Latest version.  Although with mkvtoolnix you have to manually create your tag file and mux it in.  Here is a basic tag file (change the title and genres as you see fit and save it notepad as an .xml):

Quote:<Tags>
<Tag>
<Simple>
<Name>TITLE</Name>
<String>Title</String>
</Simple>
<Simple>
<Name>GENRE</Name>
<String>High Definition; 720p</String>
</Simple>
</Tag>
</Tags>

Since my first post, I've started using MetaX as it does not require remuxing so it's much, MUCH faster to add global tags with.  I extracted one of it's tag files and they are essentially identical in format (2 spaces instead of tab indentation though) but there's a few extra file type declaration lines:

Quote:<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- <!DOCTYPE Tags SYSTEM "matroskatags.dtd"> -->
<Tags>
 <Tag>
   <Targets>
     <TargetTypeValue>50</TargetTypeValue>
   </Targets>
   (The rest is the same as the other sample from here)

Both methods worked on PCs prior to the April 2018 update.  Both do not work after the update.  My last HTPC installed the update the night before last though, so I can no longer do pre-update testing.
(07-09-2018, 09:13 AM)Shark007 Wrote: I subsequently tested enabling/disabling Icaros only to prove to myself that it has no effect on this issue.

Icaros/Shark007 can get the tagged MKV to add to the video section.  Oddly, it doesn't happen automatically after installation.  I've done it on three post-update PCs now and of all the various settings I tried in Shark007 to trigger the effect/fix I believe it's going into the Icaros settings and toggling thumbnailing and properies off and then back on again.  I have no explanation why this would be required, but on all 3 PCs it has fixed the basic issue going into the music library but they stop reading the metadata once going into the video section.
I was just checking the Feedback Hub but there is nothing there about mkv tags
(07-09-2018, 09:42 AM)Shark007 Wrote: I was just checking the Feedback Hub but there is nothing there about mkv tags

I know.  I've been looking for others reporting the problem in hopes of finding a solution.  I will have to report it myself once I find the proper place to do so (Windows Feedback is no longer part of Win 10 public). <Edit: I see they just renamed the app. I've submitted the issue myself now.>

It is known that the April 2018 update did do something to MKV though:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa...rt.244117/

They just aren't talking specifically about metadata/global tag files.  It has more to do with the default "goes into music not video" type issue.

What's interesting is that, pre-Icaros, when it goes into music it does successfully read the metadata.  I think Icaros might actual break the ability to read the metadata/global tags itself, but corrects the basic file classification issue.  I have disabled Icaros in all my installations prior to this post April 2018 update because it interfered with tag reading in the past, but that's fuzzy recollection and I can't state it 100%.

Another weird thing about all this is that in a clean install (pre-Shark/Icaros attempted correction), those tagged files will go into the music library but only when actively scanned.  IE, when manually dragged in or when added to the folder while WMP is up and monitoring for changes.  The passive background library update that runs at WMP start-up or on library rebuild will not scan them in.