-->>Setup and usage<<--          
Windows 8.1 MKV "Play to"
Hello
I read somewhere on the internet that your codec pack somehow enabled the functionality
to right click the MKV file, select "play to" and have the video play on my LG DLNA/WebOS TV

I reverted from Windows 10 (where this works using "cast to") to Windows 8.1 where it does not.
mp4 files work in either case.  For MKV, the option is not even in the right click menu.

No special codecs, either AVC/Hevc video, aac/ac3/mp3 audio

I installed your Standard package, it did not enable this functionality, so for now I have uninstalled.

Please advise
Thanks,
Dave
select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox at the bottom of the 64bit Application
Also know, on the MKV TAB, you may need to [x] disable Media Foundation for MKV (test without this 1st - it depends on your system)
Thank you Shark007, I'll test this and report back

Thanks -
Dave
Hi Shark007 I enabled your "suggested settings" , left the Media Foundation enabled (the default)
and rebooted.
The "Play to" is now in the right click menu for MKV, and to a fashion they play.  But
most often their aspect ratio is wrong, and I'm unable to scrub through the file
either using the control in the "Play to" window, or FF and RW from the TV remote

These things work fine with MP4 files.

Just out of interest I disabled the Media Foundation on the MKV tab, rebooted and
now they don't play at all - I get "unexpected device error" in the "Play to" box

Any further thoughts?
(10-14-2018, 07:32 PM)davexnet Wrote: The "Play to" is now in the right click menu for MKV, and to a fashion they play.  But
most often their aspect ratio is wrong, and I'm unable to scrub through the file
either using the control in the "Play to" window, or FF and RW from the TV remote

You cannot get subtitles to work either.
The above anomalies are known and it is as good as it gets.
I am unable to make any further improvements.
(10-15-2018, 03:01 AM)Shark007 Wrote: You cannot get subtitles to work either.
The above anomalies are known and it is as good as it gets.
I am unable to make any further improvements.

Fair enough, appreciate what you did.
seems like some support in Windows 8.1 just isn't fully there.
They certainly work in Windows 10. Although if I remember rightly,
LAV filters had to be installed first.

I may play with it a little more.  If I find anything interesting I'll update the thread

EDIT 2 I have an app on my Android phone called Server Cast, it can play files to the TV from my Windows 8.1 by accessing the Windows
media server. Using this app I am able to "scrub" through the MKV. I've only checked 2 or 3, but this seems like progress.
LAV filters are installed, but I set the preferred filter to the MS codecs, leaving only the LAV splitter active. Not sure if this is relevant or not.