-->>Setup and usage<<--          
ffdshow files missing after install
Fresh install of STANDARD_Codecs_v480 on win7 64. ffdshow files missing on InstalledCodec (see attached screenshot). Also I'm not seeing anything new when I look at Video Codecs in Windows Media Player. Ultimately, I'm trying to enable FFDS compression in an AVI file I'm creating via Matlab. I must be missing something basic here but I've no idea what it is.

Jesse

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I cannot help you with Matlab as I have never used the program.

To cleanup the missing files issue left behind behind by some other codec installation, 
download the Codec Tweak Tool and when you run the program click [fixes] in the top left, then [apply & close].

Allow the tool to remove all bad entries.
(04-15-2017, 01:48 AM)Shark007 Wrote: I cannot help you with Matlab as I have never used the program.

To cleanup the missing files issue left behind behind by some other codec installation, 
download the Codec Tweak Tool and when you run the program click [fixes] in the top left, then [apply & close].

Allow the tool to remove all bad entries.
Thank you for the reply!

Okay, I ran the Codec Tweak Tool and sure enough it complained about the ffdshow issue as well as some others. Okay now what? I ran the Uninstall 64 bit components and then I ran the Uninstall 32 bit standard. Then, for the heck of it, I reran Codec Tweak Tool and it complained even more :O

When I ran the uninstaller it said there was a newer version so I downloaded and installed that (v481 instead of v480). Now, InstalledCodec is happy but there are/is no ffdshow codecs and the list of video codecs displayed in Windows Media Player is the same as it was before I got involved fussing with codecs.

I bring up Matlab because it (theoretically) allows me to save AVI files and specify a compression method that it finds in the Registry at 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 using the compression='xxxx' four letter extension for Name = vidc.xxx (e.g. vidc.i420 works if I specify compression='i420'). So what I think I'm looking for is a codec installer that actually creates a vidc.ffds entry (with whatever .dll it uses).

Windows Media Player Video Codecs->Type=ICM correlates with whats in the Drivers32 folder. I'd assume that what InstalledCodec displays would also correlate but it doesn't. So I'm clearly missing something basic.

Thanks again, and I understand if you consider my case hopeless.

Jesse
Try using the official FFDshow installer
(04-16-2017, 01:48 AM)Shark007 Wrote: Try using the official FFDshow installer

Hope you enjoyed Easter. Thanks for getting back. So I installed using the official installer and WMP can see FFDS but Matlab didn't (and it wasn't in the register folder with the other vidc entries). So I manually created a key (what could go wrong?) and Matlab still didn't work. So I put a copy of the dll in System32 (it installed in SysWOW64) and still no go. It's a 2010 version of 64 bit Matlab that only let's me write AVIs. I'm thinking either the dll file's gotta go into another directory and/or there's some issue with 64/32 bit compatibility.

My original hope was to use a package like yours to install a bunch of compression options and have some choices. Plan B is to use something like Freemake, live with their banner, and convert the AVI to mpg.

Thanks again,

Jesse