Codecs for Technical Preview 9879/9888,  Windows 7,  Windows 8.1
About Icaros - Printable Version

+- Codecs for Technical Preview 9879/9888, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: About Icaros (/Thread-About-Icaros)

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 12-29-2011

Hi Smeulf,

Thanks for the compliments. It's always nice to hear Icaros is being appreciated. :-)

Hmm... good question about the IShellItemImageFactory API.
I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the API is already integrated into the Windows Shell,
and should not be provided by the Thumbnail Shell Extension itself.

The fact that you can successfully extract thumbnails from the cache,
is also good proof that the methods are already exposed by the Shell.

The error message thrown for the error code REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG, may also be slightly misleading.
AFAICT, it looks like the extraction fails, not because the handler found is not valid, but because no registered thumbnail handler can be found at all.

Following that trail of thought, this error might actually be related to a platform specific conflict.

Say your OS is x64 and your application is x86, when your application calls IShellItemImageFactory,
it might be looking in the wrong part of the registry (the x86 part) for a valid thumbnail handler,
and since Icaros was dynamically only registered in the x64 part of the registry, no thumbnail handlers can be found.

It's all just guessing, so I might be on the completely wrong track here. :-)

I'll see if I can find an online MS sample that utilizes IShellItemImageFactory, and check if I can reproduce your issue.

(12-28-2011, 04:47 PM)Smeulf Wrote:  Oh, another idea came in my mind: is it possible to add an option to use the cover.jpg or cover.png MKV embeded file instead of a piece of the video ? I know it's not the main goal of the tool, but it could be a nice to have IMO.

It's certainly doable, but I don't think I've ever encountered an mkv with cover images attached, then again, they're not exactly noticeable.
I'm not sure the feature is worth the time used on implementing it, and I can already foresee an issue with thumbnail adornments.

Do you find these cover images frequently used?

Thanks for you feedback and suggestions,
Xanashi

RE: About Icaros - Smeulf - 12-29-2011

Hi,

(12-29-2011, 09:03 AM)Xanashi Wrote:  Say your OS is x64 and your application is x86, when your application calls IShellItemImageFactory,
it might be looking in the wrong part of the registry (the x86 part) for a valid thumbnail handler,
and since Icaros was dynamically only registered in the x64 part of the registry, no thumbnail handlers can be found.

You're 100% right, the application is x86 and my OS is x64. Dou you have an idea how to register the thumbnailler for x68 too ? I tried some things in the registry, but without any success for now.

(12-29-2011, 09:03 AM)Xanashi Wrote:  It's certainly doable, but I don't think I've ever encountered an mkv with cover images attached, then again, they're not exactly noticeable. [...] Do you find these cover images frequently used?

Well, those I create have, but it's not so frequent for now. Better focus on the main goal of the tool, and maybe one day when everything will be perfect add this option, it was just an idea, and a possible another way to avoid black pictures. But it's not the most important Wink

Thanks.

Smeulf.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 12-29-2011

(12-29-2011, 12:05 PM)Smeulf Wrote:  You're 100% right, the application is x86 and my OS is x64. Dou you have an idea how to register the thumbnailler for x86 too ? I tried some things in the registry, but without any success for now.

I'm not sure if it's possible or even safe to register a shell extension in the Wow64 part of the system. :-)
I did, however, find a great sample app from MS to test the extraction,
and it works perfectly as long as I compile it to it's corresponding platform.

I will try and see, if I can make it work across platforms, but the obvious solution would of course be
to just compile your application as x64 for 64-bit OS' and x86 for 32-bit OS'.
Unless something is hindering you from doing so. :-)

(12-29-2011, 12:05 PM)Smeulf Wrote:  Well, those I create have, but it's not so frequent for now. Better focus on the main goal of the tool, and maybe one day when everything will be perfect add this option, ...

Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to have it written down on the TODO list,
and hopefully it will be implemented when time permits. ;-)

- Xanashi

RE: About Icaros - Paladin77 - 01-01-2012

LOL. Xanashi you just found out that your little nifty tool is highly appreciated. Well it is! It is the easiest care free way to get thumbnails for custom filetypes not normally supported by windows, without having to mess with the registry, or windows codecs leading to widely varying results. It simply works.

RE: About Icaros - cengizhan - 01-01-2012

i also appreciate your work. Smile

an old version of haali's media splitter had a shell extension that was showing cover images instead of thumbnails when it is available. you can add an image as an attachment to mkv files with mkvmerge.

also there was something that i was thinking to write sometime about incomplete or broken mkv files. if the file is incomplete or broken explorer.exe reads whole file and it usually fails to genrate a thumbnail.
i think it should skip thumbnail generation when it takes too much time or encounters corrupted data.

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 01-02-2012

Thanks for your work.
But I was wondering if Icaros could also generate thumbnails of music files in the future? Like for FLAC files.
Windows can generate thumbnails for mp3 files with embedded covers but not for FLAC files.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 01-05-2012

Sorry for my short absence, everyone.

@Paladin77, cengizhan, Lenmaer
Thanks for the great support! It is really appreciated.
You'd be surprised how little feedback I get on Icaros, so it's actually not
that obvious to me, what the users think.

Btw. Paladin77 have you experienced any issues with optional filetypes, since LAV 0.43?

@Smeulf
I haven't been able to test the API in the past couple of days,
but did you find a solution to your problem in the meantime?

@cengizhan
Was your statement an addition to Smeulf's feature request about the "use of embedded images in mkv for thumbnails"? or an additional request? :-)
As I said earlier, it's on the TODO list, just not in the top.

Broken mkv's should already be handled very efficiently, if you use the latest version of Icaros (from this thread), and LAV 0.42+.
There is even a good chance a non-black thumbnail will be produced.

@Lenmaer
I was about to say "no", but then I took a look at the FLAC Specifications,
and well to be honest, it seems quite simple to add actually.
I'm working on a couple of other features at the moment, so.. be patient.
I don't suppose you have a sample of a FLAC with cover?

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 01-05-2012

(01-05-2012, 06:48 AM)Xanashi Wrote:  I don't suppose you have a sample of a FLAC with cover?

I do have, because I add them myself using TagScanner, so they show at least in Foobar2000.
Also I'm patient, there is no hurry. ^^

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 01-05-2012

(01-05-2012, 07:20 AM)Lenmaer Wrote:  I do have, because I add them myself using TagScanner, so they show at least in Foobar2000.
Also I'm patient, there is no hurry. ^^

Great. Could you upload such a sample to mediafire.com, and provide me with url, either here or via a private message.
That would be a great help.

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 01-05-2012

Here is one http://www.mediafire.com/?21pxzj3phfj11jb

^^