You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Forum Home
About Icaros - Printable Version

+- Forum Home (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: About Icaros (/Thread-About-Icaros)

RE: About Icaros - cengizhan - 03-21-2012 01:40 PM

I prefer this:
Your setup program should detect if VC++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package is installed or not. If not it should refuse to install and redirect to microsofts' site like other application setups.

you may also include VC++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Packages but this will increase setup program's size.

including only required dll files is also not a bad solution. Lots of portable applications have this dll with them. this way user doesn't have to install anything. also if some uninstall program removes VC++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package or the user installs wrong version, your program wont be affected.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 03-21-2012 02:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, cengizhan.

(03-21-2012 01:40 PM)cengizhan Wrote:  you may also include VC++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Packages but this will increase setup program's size.

I don't have to. My installer is capable of both downloading and installing these kind of dependencies.

(03-21-2012 01:40 PM)cengizhan Wrote:  including only required dll files is also not a bad solution. Lots of portable applications have this dll with them. this way user doesn't have to install anything. also if some uninstall program removes VC++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package or the user installs wrong version, your program wont be affected.

All good points.
IMO, having multiple instances of the same libraries on every system,
because every software comes with its own version, is not a very durable solution though.
But there is of course the benefit of keeping the application totally self reliant.
Icaros still requires .NET 4, so that wouldn't be the case for me.

The main issue is that no developer wish to be the one, to asks it's userbase to install an additional component,
and therefore goes to great lengths to avoid the initial one time installation of the VC++ Redist.

The fact that some software actually removes the packages again during uninstall, only complicates the matter even more.

RE: About Icaros - BitTech - 03-21-2012 02:29 PM

Why not use static linking? That is what MPC-HC and LAV Filters do to avoid dependency on MSVCR90.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 03-21-2012 02:38 PM

(03-21-2012 02:29 PM)BitTech Wrote:  Why not use static linking? That is what MPC-HC and LAV Filters do to avoid dependency on MSVCR90.

I did consider it, but static linking is not possible when programming in C++ Cli (Managed C++).

It is also highly discouraged by Microsoft to use static linking, from what I have read.

Edit: Btw BitTech, have you tried 2.0 with the VC++ Redist? :-)

RE: About Icaros - BitTech - 03-21-2012 03:33 PM

Yes, it works with the Redist. I also tried with just the dll and removing the redist, but that didn't work. Perhaps the embedded manifest must be adjusted to be able to use a private assembly?

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 03-21-2012 03:47 PM

(03-21-2012 03:33 PM)BitTech Wrote:  Yes, it works with the Redist. I also tried with just the dll and removing the redist, but that didn't work. Perhaps the embedded manifest must be adjusted to be able to use a private assembly?

Good to hear.
I just tested in a VM, without the Redist installed, only with the dll added to the Icaros 2.0 beta 3 installation directory.
Before the dll was added no thumbnails generated. After adding it, and re-enabling Icaros, the thumbnails started to generate.

Did you make sure to use the msvcr100.dll library?

I don't think it is necessary to modify the manifest in VS2010,
but I've only read this from an unreliable source, so I'm not sure. :-)

RE: About Icaros - BitTech - 03-21-2012 04:14 PM

Ok, got it working now.

I will send you a PM with a few files for which I don't get a thumbnail.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 03-21-2012 04:18 PM

(03-21-2012 04:14 PM)BitTech Wrote:  Ok, got it working now.

I will send you a PM with a few files for which I don't get a thumbnail.

Great!

Thanks in advance for the samples, I'll take a look at them.

RE: About Icaros - BlackPhantom - 03-21-2012 04:50 PM

I haven't given this a try yet but I feel as though I should just sit and wait for the actual release of Icaros 2.0.

Is Icaros 2.0 installer going to install the redist if the user doesn't have it?
I would actual prefer if that was the case. Get everything done in one install.

Oh, I check my computer and this is what I have already installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 03-21-2012 05:16 PM

(03-21-2012 04:50 PM)BlackPhantom Wrote:  I haven't given this a try yet but I feel as though I should just sit and wait for the actual release of Icaros 2.0.

I will release a beta 4 before the final, just to make sure everything is as it should be.

(03-21-2012 04:50 PM)BlackPhantom Wrote:  Is Icaros 2.0 installer going to install the redist if the user doesn't have it?
I would actual prefer if that was the case. Get everything done in one install.

Atm, I'm leaning towards installing the redist upon installation.
But I'm still open for suggestions and opinions. Yours is noted. Thanks :-)

(03-21-2012 04:50 PM)BlackPhantom Wrote:  Oh, I check my computer and this is what I have already installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

It looks like you're missing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64), which is what Icaros would use.