Codecs for Windows 10,  Windows 7,  Windows 8.1
Archived posts - Printable Version

+- Codecs for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: Archived posts (/Thread-Archived-posts)

RE: About Icaros - BlackPhantom - 03-21-2012

Well, I just went and installed the redist that I was missing and tested Icaros beta 3 and I do generate thumbnails and the speed is a lot faster plus it doesn't kill my CPU.

The only bug I seem to see is that I sometimes get black thumbnails which back in v1.3 I never got. Other then that, everything seems great.

Thanks for the troubleshooting

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 03-22-2012

After longer tests, I noticed that Icaros 2.0 stopped working after a while. In order to get it to work again, explorer has to be killed and restarted.
Also sometimes it generates black thumbnails, here again explorer has to be killed and thumbnail cache emptied also.
Last thing is it can't generate thumbnails of small mkv files (already stated in another post).

I did some tests on another PC using Icaros 1.3.2 and none of those bugs stated before happened.

So while the version 2.0 seems to be faster, it has a couple of regressions, and I'm not sure if ffmpeg is a better choice over LAV.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 03-29-2012

And another build, finally ready for testing. :-)

In this release, I have tried to address all bugs and regressions reported since Beta 1.
For the same reason, it has been promoted from Beta to RC. Give it try, and let me know how it goes.

[Changelog for 2.0 RC1]
- Revised FFmpeg thread-safety (should fix the rare occurrences of black thumbnails + hangs)
- Fixed bug in Unicode to UTF-8 Conversion
- Fortify the startup checks in IcarosConfig
- Switched the "Content ID" and "Video Compression" property fields
- Fixed thumbnailing for unseekable files
- Installer will now automatically install VC++ 2010 SP1 Redist if missing
- IcarosConfig will download and install the VC++ 2010 SP1 Redist if missing

Icaros 2.0 RC1 Installer: Download [New version is out]
Icaros 2.0 RC1 Portable: Download [New version is out]

@Lenmaer
The first change in the changelog, should take care of the occasional black thumbnails (unless the offset points to an actual black frame),
and although I haven't been able to reproduce it, it should also allegedly eliminate the hangs.

The second change, might possibly fix the problem you had with your very long filenames.
Give it a try, and let me know if it works. ^_^

@Lenmaer and BitTech
The 5th change should fix thumbnailing for all the files you provided, except the "MC.ts" file.
I'm still working on improving the TS thumbnailing.

@BlackPhantom
The 3th change, should fix the upgrade issue you experienced from 1.3.2 to 2.0.0.

@All
The installer will now download and install the VC++ 2010 SP1 Redist, if it's missing.
The process is quite painless. The download and installation takes a few seconds combined,
and according to Microsoft the Redist itself only requires 6 MB of space (which we all know means 11 MB irl).

IcarosConfig will now also check, if the Redist is missing.
It will automatically download and install the Redist, if the user agrees to do so.

It is still also possible to just use msvcr100.dll standalone, as it was before.
If the dll is present in the Icaros installation directory, the installer and IcarosConfig
will assume the Redist is already installed, and proceed.

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 03-29-2012

(03-29-2012, 04:11 AM)Xanashi Wrote: @Lenmaer
The first change in the changelog, should take care of the occasional black thumbnails (unless the offset points to an actual black frame),
and although I haven't been able to reproduce it, it should also allegedly eliminate the hangs.

The second change, might possibly fix the problem you had with your very long filenames.
Give it a try, and let me know if it works. ^_^

@Lenmaer and BitTech
The 5th change should fix thumbnailing for all the files you provided, except the "MC.ts" file.
I'm still working on improving the TS thumbnailing.

I confirm that the 1st and 5th bugs are fixed now.
As for the long filenames it didn't work, but that's a windows problem, while it doesn't allow creation of long filenames, somehow it allows you to move folders with long names one into another, so you can get a 500 characters long path with files inside if you wanted to.
I can't ask you to fix a bug that M$ didn't want to fix. ^^

RE: About Icaros - Paladin77 - 04-01-2012

Got a black thumb with this filetype: http://ifile.it/cpq4ate/Hotd%2001.mkv

Other than that am golden :-) quick and smooth thumbnailing of my media libraries.

RE: About Icaros - Shark007 - 04-01-2012

(04-01-2012, 10:06 AM)Paladin77 Wrote: Got a black thumb with this filetype: http://ifile.it/cpq4ate/Hotd%2001.mkv

Other than that am golden :-) quick and smooth thumbnailing of my media libraries.

The file encoding is the problem.
If you run the file through Metafox, it will be properly thumbed.
Metafox is also created by Xanashi and can be downloaded from my Tools page.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 04-01-2012

Lenmaer, I was finally able to produce a filepath longer than 259 characters. :-)
Turns out, it was a limit in the .NET framework, that caused the thumbnailing to fail.
IMHO, Microsoft should either make the char limit universal (and fix the bug in explorer),
or allow .NET programmers to handle such exceptional files, or simply set a higher limit. But what do I know.
Anyway, it will be fixed before 2.0 goes final. ;-)

Paladin, I'm currently working on some improvements in the mkv parser.
It should fix thumbnailing for such files, but it wont make it in time for the 2.0 release.
I still agree that corrupt containers should be remuxed, though. It's just a good idea in general. :-)

Again thanks for the feedback, both of you. If there are no more bugs or regressions,
I believe 2.0 is about ready for the general public.

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 04-01-2012

No bugs or regressions since I installed it thursday.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 04-01-2012

(04-01-2012, 02:54 PM)Lenmaer Wrote: No bugs or regressions since I installed it thursday.

Good to hear ^_^

RE: About Icaros - cengizhan - 04-03-2012

One suggestion:

icaros should skip any file if it is opened for writing because it cannot generate a thumbnail instead it causes a high cpu usage.