Codecs for Windows 10,  Windows 7,  Windows 8.1
Archived posts - Printable Version

+- Codecs for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: Archived posts (/Thread-Archived-posts)

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 04-20-2012

@mkr10001
No problem. Icaros is just the thumbnailer ^_^
Look here to get Shark007's codec pack.
Icaros can be used separately, but doesn't improve actual playback of video and audio files,
like codec packs does.

@cengizhan & Lenmaer
Don't worry, I have no intentions of implementing anything, that would bloat or slow down Icaros.
I personally prefer speed over visual effects, when it comes to thumbnails.
But, if I can find a solution that doesn't compromise the speed, I might as well use it. :-)

Btw cengizhan, how does RC3 work for you with broken files?

RE: About Icaros - cengizhan - 04-21-2012

(04-20-2012, 01:29 PM)Xanashi Wrote: Btw cengizhan, how does RC3 work for you with broken files?

didn't have much time to test it but rc3 seems good enough to use.

RE: About Icaros - mkr10001 - 04-22-2012

(04-20-2012, 01:29 PM)Xanashi Wrote: @mkr10001
No problem. Icaros is just the thumbnailer ^_^
Look here to get Shark007's codec pack.
Icaros can be used separately, but doesn't improve actual playback of video and audio files,
like codec packs does.

Thanks. I have the codec pack right now but I used to have K lite and when i was doing anything with virtual dub I had lots to choose from but shark ones don't give me that many options to encode to.

I'll keep the whole lot for now though. Cheers

RE: About Icaros - chrislue - 04-22-2012

(04-20-2012, 02:07 AM)cengizhan Wrote: I have never seen black or white thumbnail.
please do not make a bloated and slow icaros just for black frame examination.

Maybe you don't have as many videos as you can see the problem, or you are a lucky guy, the offset you set in Icaros happen to avoid all cut scene moments in all your videos.

Thumbnails will be cached once they are established, and I don't see the point of a white or black preview.

Of cause Icaros is great so far, I just think if there is a way to accomplish this and does not slow down the speed significantly, it will be greater.

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 04-23-2012

Well I see Icaros as a thumbnail provider not as a thumbnail correcter.
So I prefer it to be fast and stable over something that'll blow explorer memory consumption and maybe add more bugs.

RE: About Icaros - cengizhan - 04-23-2012

(04-22-2012, 09:09 PM)chrislue Wrote:
(04-20-2012, 02:07 AM)cengizhan Wrote: I have never seen black or white thumbnail.
please do not make a bloated and slow icaros just for black frame examination.

Maybe you don't have as many videos as you can see the problem, or you are a lucky guy, the offset you set in Icaros happen to avoid all cut scene moments in all your videos.

Thumbnails will be cached once they are established, and I don't see the point of a white or black preview.

Of cause Icaros is great so far, I just think if there is a way to accomplish this and does not slow down the speed significantly, it will be greater.

May be a button to clear thumbnail cache in icaros' settings windows will help you.

RE: About Icaros - chrislue - 04-24-2012

(04-23-2012, 11:15 AM)cengizhan Wrote: May be a button to clear thumbnail cache in icaros' settings windows will help you.
What I mean thumbnails are cached is that next time you open folders contain bunch of videos, the thumbnails will appear instantly no matter how long it takes to create the thumbnails for the first time. This is not relative to the black or white thumbnails.

Icaros is super fast now compare to the default system speed. A little slow down for just the first time (maybe the same speed as default system speed) to avoid a meaningless thumbnail is totally acceptable.

Of cause it's just my opinion, it's up to Xanashi.

RE: About Icaros - Shark007 - 04-25-2012

(04-23-2012, 11:15 AM)cengizhan Wrote: May be a button to clear thumbnail cache in icaros' settings windows will help you.

this already exists.
Click the banner at the top of the Icaros GUI.

RE: About Icaros - mkr10001 - 04-25-2012

OK I'm using icaros instead of the full codec pack now. mkv files don't have thumbnails though. Still the vlc traffic cone

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 04-26-2012

Once again another release has been inexplicably delayed,
so I believe it's about time, Icaros 2.0 gets out to the general public.

This build contains a few new fixes and improvements here and there, like;
fix for gray thumbnails, fix for mkvs with no video stream, and a couple of other things.

It also contains a small new feature, which I will write about in a followup post, later.

Here is the proposed changelog for Icaros 2.0 Final:

[ Icaros v.2.0.0 ]
- [NEW] Implemented new extraction core based on FFmpeg
- Highly improved thumbnail generation speed
- Moved all Thumbnailing to isolated process
- Lightweigth: More memory and CPU effecient
- Maintains aspect ratio in thumbnails
- No more tearing artifacts
- Supports more formats
- No longer depends on LAV
- Greater overall stability
- No more DirectShow conflicts
- Improved IcarosConfig startup checks
- Switch ContentID and Video Compression property fields
- Installer allows upgrading now
- Installer can now automatically install VC++ 2010 SP1 Redist if missing
- IcarosConfig can download and install the VC++ 2010 SP1 Redist if missing
- Bug with some unicode filenames fixed
- Icaros can now thumbnail files on network drives
- Plus many more overall improvements and fixes...

Icaros 2.0 Installer: Download
Icaros 2.0 Portable: Download

If anything is missing from the changelog, let me know. ^_^

If no regressions are found, this build will become the FINAL, and be released ASAP.
After the final is released, I can finally continue implementing all the new features,
and hopefully get some new testing builds out soon.

@mkr10001
Have you activated it via IcarosConfig, yet?