Codecs for Windows 10,  Windows 7,  Windows 8.1
Archived posts - Printable Version

+- Codecs for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: Archived posts (/Thread-Archived-posts)

RE: About Icaros - Lenmaer - 06-09-2013

It has a batch tagging function, but to be honest I've never used tags, in fact I remove them whenever I find some.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 06-09-2013

(06-09-2013, 12:13 PM)Lenmaer Wrote: It has a batch tagging function, but to be honest I've never used tags, in fact I remove them whenever I find some.

Interesting. I'll be sure to give it a try then.
I personally only use tags for music files atm, but who knows, that might change. :)

RE: About Icaros - danei - 06-09-2013

(06-09-2013, 06:23 AM)Xanashi Wrote: danei,
Here is another build.
I found and fixed the white/transparent thumbnail issue,
and I figured out what caused the problems I experienced yesterday.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a fix for that yet, as it is related to some default Windows behaviour. :/
So far so good for me, ^_^

RE: About Icaros - Papple - 06-14-2013

Hi, I have a little problem with Icaros. It works really great when I browse folders with Explorer. But if i open a folder via Open or Save dialog, and i didn't browsed it with explorer before (i.e. there are new files inside). Icaros wont update thumbs and i need to open explorer and go to that folder to make them show.

Example: In folder c:\videos i have 10 video files and when I add them to a program that converts them to mp4. And when I use the "Open" common dialog to open a file from this folder, the new files don't have thumbs. And i need to browse to that folder for thumbs to appear and then i can view them in Open or Save dialog.

My OS is Win8 x64.

Is short, thumbs don't show if i browse folders with new files from here
[Image: 35038-TLC8-Article-image2.jpg]

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 06-14-2013

Hi Papple,

In IcarosConfig, click the 'Advanced' button, then select the 'Enable 32-bit thumbnailing on 64-bit Windows' checkbox.

This should allow thumbnailing in such dialogs.

This feature requires that the 32-bit version of IcarosThumbnailProvider is installed as well,
which is also why it's not enabled by default.
(Some users might prefer to save the additional space).

Edit: I should probably automatize this behaviour in the future.

RE: About Icaros - Papple - 06-14-2013

Thank you Smile

You are right. I had installed only 64-bit version, but any 32bit program that brings the open and save dialogs was not showing thumbs on new files.

I Enabled the 32-bit and now everything is working.

Thank you again for this amazing software Smile

RE: About Icaros - Spiller - 06-15-2013

(06-09-2013, 11:55 AM)Xanashi Wrote: Actually, I'm not even sure if I know of any other software besides mkvtoolnix, that can handle tags in MKV. Smile
I have been using foobar2000 for tagging MKA files, which also handles multi-track files. VLC can also read (and perhaps write) them if I remember correctly, but it seemed to do a poor job at it.
There also is a commercial program for video, though I haven't tried it myself: MetaX. Seems like a decent option if it fulfills your needs.

Lenmaer Wrote:Try that to batch edit MKV properties.
http://code.google.com/p/jmkvpropedit/
That is a nice GUI for mkvpropedit, though it doesn't seem to do anything more than what you could do with simple shell scripts.
I didn't realize mkvpropedit could add tags though, I thought it could only edit already existing properties. It seems it only wants to replace all tags however.

It seems like then that the easiest solution is to use mkvextract to get chapters+tags and then use mkvpropedit to update them. What I don't like is that it appears rather inefficient to use the CLI, as it would go like this:
  1. mkvextract: Read Matroska file
  2. mkvextract: Extract chapters and tags as XML to the filesystem
  3. script: Read tags and chapters from the filesystem
  4. script: Save new tags and chapters to filesystem
  5. mkvpropedit: Read matroska file
  6. mkvpropedit: Read tags and chapters from filesystem
  7. mkvpropedit: Update Matroska file
So my bet right now is to embed the mkvtoolnix code into my program, and hack the interface to see how much of the overhead I can remove. My guess is that mkvextract gets a data structure for tags/chapters which is the same as the one mkvpropedit/mkvmerge converts to from the XML file.
(Perhaps the performance penalty isn't that significant, but I just don't like the look of it... Useless pride...)

For reference, I found this thread from a mailing list that discusses editing tags without rewriting the file: Tagging MKV files
While I haven't read much of it (as it is fairly long), it discourages me from attempting to do this myself:
Moritz Bunkus Wrote:...
MKVToolNix contains (pretty complex) code that uses all of these
techniques so that functions like mmg's header editor and the whole of
mkvpropedit do not have to re-write the whole file.
Yes, it is highly complicated. I know.
That is why I would rather use mkvpropedit if I can, it seems to be more effort than I would like to spend on it to implement it myself.

RE: About Icaros - schwuppdiwupp - 06-15-2013

you guys might want to check out

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mkvtagger-edit-tags-mkv-tags-incl-mp-tvseries-thetvdb-com-themoviedb-musicvideos.116870/

which is more-or-less a mkvextract/mkvpropedit gui (requires .net 4.0)

especially the 'Custom Movie Tag' Page seems to be of interest, it can fetch movie data from themoviedb.org

not for .mka files though (yet)

RE: About Icaros - Spiller - 06-17-2013

@schwuppdiwupp,
MkvTagger is certainly a decent free alternative to MetaX. It is the same "wizard" interface to tagging, you have three different wizards (series, moves and music-videos) where you fill in the boxes, with auto-completion features. It is not more "custom" than that you can edit the XML directly though...
(Random fun quote from the thread: "can I delete the 24,000 .xml files it created?".)

Matroska makes us rethink how to create, edit and display meta-data for video/audio, however it saddens me to see not much progress have been done in this area.
And thus, a real feature-complete tag-editor for Matroska does not (yet) seem to exist...

RE: About Icaros - Smeulf - 06-30-2013

(12-29-2011, 05:51 PM)Xanashi Wrote:
(12-29-2011, 12:05 PM)Smeulf Wrote: You're 100% right, the application is x86 and my OS is x64. Dou you have an idea how to register the thumbnailler for x86 too ? I tried some things in the registry, but without any success for now.

I'm not sure if it's possible or even safe to register a shell extension in the Wow64 part of the system. :-)
I did, however, find a great sample app from MS to test the extraction,
and it works perfectly as long as I compile it to it's corresponding platform.

I will try and see, if I can make it work across platforms, but the obvious solution would of course be
to just compile your application as x64 for 64-bit OS' and x86 for 32-bit OS'.
Unless something is hindering you from doing so. :-)

(12-29-2011, 12:05 PM)Smeulf Wrote: Well, those I create have, but it's not so frequent for now. Better focus on the main goal of the tool, and maybe one day when everything will be perfect add this option, ...

Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to have it written down on the TODO list,
and hopefully it will be implemented when time permits. ;-)

- Xanashi

Hi Xanashi, Hi everyone,

I just installed V2.2.1, and you made my day !

Saw you created extension for x86 in x64 OS, and also the embeded thumbnails (cover arts). It's such a good job ! Maybe it was since a long time, but I must admit I did not checked for updates since a while.

And btw, now it's working inside 'my' software Big Grin

Thank you so much !!!

Next step maybe : an auto updater ? ^^

Once again : THANKS !!!!!!