Codecs for Windows 10,  Windows 7,  Windows 8.1
Archived posts - Printable Version

+- Codecs for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: Archived posts (/Thread-Archived-posts)

RE: About Icaros - sfuller - 02-08-2014

(02-07-2014, 06:45 PM)Xanashi Wrote: Hi sfuller,

Sorry for the small delay, I couldn't find the time today to look at the file you uploaded,
but I have it now, all ready for testing. Wink

Everything the Opus developer wrote is pretty much spot on.
I agree with all the points of the disapproved use of .NET. I've read all of these articles as well,
and have since then regretted my initial poor decision of going with .NET for this kind of module.

The only reason I haven't rectified this sooner, was simply because I've never received any reports of problems related to such .NET conflicts.
That said I still fully recognize the possibility of such conflicts,
and have started, some time ago, the process of porting the code to C++, completely.

However, I'm quite certain this particular issue is more related to the attempted access of an invalid PropVariant.

As mentioned earlier, I haven't gotten around to look at the file yet,
but from simply looking at the file through Explorer and Opus,
everything looks alright. I wasn't able to reproduce the crash.

The Opus developer hinted that your Opus setup is somewhat altered from the default settings,
making this crash possible.
Could you perhaps create a backup of this configuration and send it to me?
You can create a backup of your config under the menu "Settings->Backup and Restore..." in Opus.

I'll take a closer look at the file tomorrow.

That was my take as will. I'm not sure what would be different in my config. I do have to lot of tabs open, but I closed all of them before I saved my Opus config. I turned properties back on for flac in Icaros and the crash was instant when I moved to the directory contained the flac I placed on sendspace.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 02-09-2014

Alright, so I tested the file once again in Explorer and Opus,
both with and without your configuration, and still no crash.

The property handler is definitely loaded while hovering the mouse over flac files (to get the info tip), however everything works as it should.
I can't seem to provoke this crash with any setting in Opus,
so yet another thirdparty software may be involved. :/

I looked at the file itself as well. It was parsed perfectly, and all properties returned looked valid (and was displayed properly by Explorer too).

Are you sure this was the correct failing file? :)

For testing purposes, I've made some minor changes to the property handler, that may, or may not, have made a difference.
Please give it a try, and if it still crashes please send me the crash dump.

To use it, deactivate Icaros, replace the old IcarosPropertyHandler.dll with the zipped property handler and then reactivate Icaros.
You will most likely have to restart Opus and Explorer, before you can remove the old file.

RE: About Icaros - sfuller - 02-09-2014

(02-09-2014, 01:49 PM)Xanashi Wrote: Alright, so I tested the file once again in Explorer and Opus,
both with and without your configuration, and still no crash.

The property handler is definitely loaded while hovering the mouse over flac files (to get the info tip), however everything works as it should.
I can't seem to provoke this crash with any setting in Opus,
so yet another thirdparty software may be involved. :/

I looked at the file itself as well. It was parsed perfectly, and all properties returned looked valid (and was displayed properly by Explorer too).

Are you sure this was the correct failing file? Smile

For testing purposes, I've made some minor changes to the property handler, that may, or may not, have made a difference.
Please give it a try, and if it still crashes please send me the crash dump.

To use it, deactivate Icaros, replace the old IcarosPropertyHandler.dll with the zipped property handler and then reactivate Icaros.
You will most likely have to restart Opus and Explorer, before you can remove the old file.

Whatever you changed seemed to help. I even put the mp3 directory is flat mode in Opus and scrolled through 500+ flac files and couldn't make it crash unless I went to properties on a flac file. After that it behaved as before--just browsing to a directory caused the crash. After several test and r reboots sometimes the crash is immediate, other times the crash is only when I right-click and go to properties. Process monitor is showing more detail now--I've enclosed the pml file.

RE: About Icaros - Xanashi - 02-10-2014

This is definitely strange.

Looking at the PM log you attached, it certainly looks like the sample you provided is the source of the crash.
And the dump file still seems to point to an invalid PropVariant.
Only problem is, I can't reproduce the problem. All works just fine here.

I've attached another troubleshooting build, with another couple of small changes.

I really appreciate your continued help with the testing of this problem. :)

RE: About Icaros - sfuller - 02-10-2014

(02-10-2014, 04:15 PM)Xanashi Wrote: This is definitely strange.

Looking at the PM log you attached, it certainly looks like the sample you provided is the source of the crash.
And the dump file still seems to point to an invalid PropVariant.
Only problem is, I can't reproduce the problem. All works just fine here.

I've attached another troubleshooting build, with another couple of small changes.

I really appreciate your continued help with the testing of this problem. Smile

No change--no problem helping--It is strange. I uninstalled mediainfo since that's the only other program that I can think of that work interface with properties.

RE: About Icaros - Tiffany - 03-12-2014

I have 3 different samples that aren't producing thumbnails using version 2.2.4; I 7z'd them all together for convenience.

sample removed by Shark007

RE: About Icaros - Shark007 - 03-12-2014

(03-12-2014, 07:34 PM)Tiffany Wrote: I have 3 different samples that aren't producing thumbnails using version 2.2.4; I 7z'd them all together for convenience.

I tested them with the latest BETA and they worked OK.
BTW, the 2 MP4's are actually FLV's, you should change the extension accordingly.

(03-12-2014, 07:54 PM)Shark007 Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 07:34 PM)Tiffany Wrote: I have 3 different samples that aren't producing thumbnails using version 2.2.4; I 7z'd them all together for convenience.

I tested them with the latest BETA and they worked OK.
BTW, the 2 MP4's are actually FLV's, you should change the extension accordingly.
I just tried 2.2.4 Beta 3, still doesn't work for me. I'm on Windows 8.1 by the way. If any other info would be helpful, let me know.

RE: About Icaros - Shark007 - 03-12-2014

I'm also on 8.1 but with alpha 2 of version 2.3.0
Maybe try deleting the thumbnail cache through the Icaros app
Its under the Advanced TAB (on version 230)

(03-12-2014, 08:09 PM)Shark007 Wrote: I'm also on 8.1 but with alpha 2 of version 2.3.0
Maybe try deleting the thumbnail cache through the Icaros app
Its under the Advanced TAB (on version 230)

I don't have that option:
[Image: b3hfab0.png]

I might mention that I didn't check the x86 component when I installed 2.24 beta 3 since I figure I wouldn't use it with an x64 OS.

edit: I used another program to clear my thumbnail cache and it still doesn't work.