x64 Settings Application hangs - Printable Version
+- Forum Home (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: x64 Components (/Forum-x64-Components)
+--- Thread: x64 Settings Application hangs (/Thread-x64-Settings-Application-hangs)
x64 Settings Application hangs - Sadist4life - 03-09-2012 11:15 PM
This problem occurred after i navigated to a MKV file which had problems loading its thumbnail, causing windows explorer to lag.
What I did was to uninstall the codecs and remove the problematic MKV file before reinstalling the codecs.
Ever since then, on both x64 Settings v3.5.4 and v3.5.5, I had this strange problem where the message "resetting the codecs to installation defaults...please wait" hangs there after i clicked on "Reset All".
I've read up on some of the old threads and tried using the solutions (eg reinstalling visual c++ 2010 redist) but so far none of them have worked.
Note: I did "Run as Administrator"
RE: x64 Settings Application hangs - Shark007 - 03-09-2012 11:20 PM
uninstall the codecs, set UAC (User Account Control) to the 'Default' setting
reboot your computer and re-install the codecs.
RE: x64 Settings Application hangs - Sadist4life - 03-10-2012 02:54 AM
I tried your suggested solution but it did not work, but in the end I managed to solve the problem.
What I did was to set UAC to "Never notify" (my original UAC setting before the problem occurred)
I hope this roadmap helps others who encounter the same problem as me
1. I installed updated version of Win7codecs and x64 Components.
2. My computer was generating the thumbnails for my video files but one of them could not generate its respective thumbnail, causing Windows Explorer to lag.
3. Settings64.exe starts to hang after displaying the message "resetting the codecs to installation defaults...please wait".
4. I uninstalled both Win7codecs and x64 Components. (64 bit then 32 bit).
5. I deleted the problematic video file.
6. I installed the codecs again (32 bit then 64 bit).
7. Same problem as step number 3, so I uninstalled the codecs once again.
8. I set UAC to default and installed the codecs.
9. Same as step 7.
10. I set UAC to "Never notify" and Settings64.exe finally can Reset All without freezing.