Codecs for Windows 10,  Windows 7,  Windows 8.1
Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews - Printable Version

+- Codecs for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (http://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Forum Listing (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Forum-Listing)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (http://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews (/Thread-Windows-10-Creators-Update-settings-personalization-doesn-t-show-previews)

Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews - miki - 06-02-2017

I'm using Icaros 3.0.2 beta 2. Background and lock screen settings in Windows 10 have previews in them so you can see how a background will look like on screen. For some reason it stopped showing thumbnail and either shows blank/black preview or preview that was created while Icaros was turned off.

When I turn Icaros off, then any background image I select immediately shows preview as well in the settings. Now for some reason this doesn't help on lock screen regarding Windows Spotlight, that shows grey preview no matter what now and I can't find how to fix it.

I'm assuming this is all connected to Icaros although there may be a possibility of interaction with other software that caused this bug. Windows is only a 2 week old fresh install.

RE: Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews - Shark007 - 06-02-2017

If you manually added *.tiff files to be thumbed by Icaros, this action would be the cause of your issue(s).

RE: Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews - miki - 06-02-2017

(06-02-2017, 04:25 AM)Shark007 Wrote: If you manually added *.tiff files to be thumbed by Icaros, this action would be the cause of your issue(s).

I used one of presets, common one which indeed includes .tiff.

Here is the thing, after removing tiff, pictures that were selected from before still wont show preview until I disable icaros. Then windows own system creates preview for those and things work. I tried clearing all thumbnails using disk cleanup and icaros and that didn't help, only disabling and letting windows create preview helped for those pictures.

Now I'm still left with spotlight. It wont show preview no matter what, regardless of removing tiff, disabling icaros, clearing thumbnail cache, it's always grey. How do I fix that one? I'm confident it is also icaros related.

Or could it be that some thumbnail cache files cannot be deleted from within windows and that's why it's bugging?

RE: Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews - Shark007 - 06-02-2017

under the Tools section of the Icaros GUI is 'RESET NATIVE FILETYPES' - [Reset Thumbnail Filetypes]
Try using that followed by a 'WINDOWS EXPLORER' - [Restart] from the same page.

RE: Windows 10 Creators Update settings -> personalization doesn't show previews - miki - 06-02-2017

(06-02-2017, 05:47 AM)Shark007 Wrote: under the Tools section of the Icaros GUI is 'RESET NATIVE FILETYPES' - [Reset Thumbnail Filetypes]
Try using that followed by a 'WINDOWS EXPLORER'  - [Restart] from the same page.

Unfortunately, didn't help. I even resetted Windows Spotlight deleting settings from it's folder and all pictures from assets folder so it redownloads new ones and still grey preview.

My last attempt to assist you is to provide the native tiff settings in a registry file.
Download the file, doubleclick to install, reboot the system.

(06-02-2017, 06:26 AM)Shark007 Wrote: My last attempt to assist you is to provide the native tiff settings in a registry file.
Download the file, doubleclick to install, reboot the system.

Didn't work. Hey thanks for the effort anyway! At least for the most part I now know there is an issue with .tiff icaros and windows and it isn't my windows that is bugged. Hope it gets fixed.

EDIT: I'll just add that in registry i have 2 sections for both .tiff and .tif maybe .tif also needs resetting. Both are set to open with Illustrator. Who knows maybe this issue isn't caused by icaros but by something else.