-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
thumb nails and installation

Can't say I'm happy with the lack of an installed apps entry (or listing under programs and features), it seems the new install procedure puts itself in the Temp folder, which I regularly clean on a consistent basis. Obviously this screws up thumbnails, so then I have to find and extract the zipped download and disable/re-enable Icaros.

Not only does Ccleaner clear out the temp directory, also RogueKiller is flagging those temp files as suspicious, if I don't ignore the warnings again I lose thumbnails and have to unzip the installer.  Incidentally the optional Start Menu item is also located in the Temp folder. 

It's a great little package which I've been using for over a decade, much appreciation, but the install location needs a rethink, away from the Temp folder.

Exactly what is it that you are installing?

(05-03-2023, 06:28 AM)Shark007 Wrote: Exactly what is it that you are installing?

I downloaded the advanced Zip from MajorGeeks "ADVANCED_64bitCodecs", stripped off the original install (as I've noticed multiple entries in control panel, programs and features in the past), extracted the zip and run Launcher64.exe.

That puts nothing in the temp directory.

You cannot relocate the folder after you use Launcher64.exe
Maybe moving the folder to a new location is the cause of your issue(s).
If you move it, you MUST also use [RESET ALL] to re-define the new location to the contained software.

Photo 
(05-03-2023, 02:07 PM)Shark007 Wrote: That puts nothing in the temp directory.

You cannot relocate the folder after you use Launcher64.exe
Maybe moving the folder to a new location is the cause of your issue(s).
If you move it, you MUST also use [RESET ALL] to re-define the new location to the contained software.

Not sure why you have suggested I have moved the install location??  Why would I do that when it is causing issues?  As I said, I been using your Codecs for well over a decade, on my Windows 11 machine, things are being isntalled in my Temp folder (Windows 11). 
I've just had to re-run disable / enable Icaros due to thumbnail issues.

I've now got
Rar$EXa0.100 and Rar$EXa0.694 directories, with many sub-folder in these directories (I would upload an image but it seems images have to be hosted). 

As a side issue, my Windows Media legacy player is no longer playing AIFF files??

I do not have an explanation for your issue.
My software has nothing to do with the temp folder and does not create that mess.
wmsetup.log is the only file left in the temp directory (by Windows) on 1st use as its the result of setting the x64 WMP as default.

I tested AIFF playback in WMP and had no issue.

A virus possibly?