Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Printable Version

+- (https://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Choose a topic below (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Choose-a-topic-below)
+--- Forum: ADVANCED Codecs (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-ADVANCED-Codecs)
+--- Thread: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates (/Thread-Codecs-prevent-Windows-11-Store-Installations-Updates)

Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Sunfox - 01-08-2022

Brand new installation of Windows 11. After about a week of installing stuff, I realized a few Windows 11 Store apps were refusing to install or apply an update, giving me a “something went wrong on our end” error with code 0x80070005 which is apparently a permission denied error. The apps included Microsoft Photos, Microsoft Movies & Tv, iTunes and one other. Other apps seemed to be ok to be installed or updated.

I tried literally every troubleshooting guide there was for store problems: store reset, file system repair, various power shell commands, deleting caches, changing directory ownership and permissions, and nothing worked. Eventually I gave up and decided yesterday to reformat / reinstall since I figure something had to have become corrupted.

Everything on the new installation was going great. Then I installed a few things today, went to check for store updates, and suddenly 3/4 of my apps had to do an update… or maybe a repair. Download sizes were small, like 500kb each. Most worked, but in the end I was left with the exact same broken apps as previously. Reboot, etc, to no avail.

Knowing full well what I’d installed today, I uninstalled Shark007 Advanced (all default no custom settings), tried updating those apps again, and bingo they all worked.

So I reinstalled the codecs, but this time UNSELECTED the “recommended” tick box, then reapplied it… and for some reason everything still seems to work. So I don’t know fully what was wrong, but it happened twice on brand new installations to the exact same slew of Store applications, so it can’t be coincidence, and is perhaps some setting that’s not getting set correctly during installation!

Neither of these were updates to prior Shark codecs, nor were there any other codec packs installed. Just clean, fully updated Windows 11 installations (not upgrades from 10) on new hardware. Todays issue was on a system install less than 24 hours old. I should note that they were also different Shark007 versions, todays was current as of today and the prior one was from late December 2021.

RE: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Shark007 - 01-08-2022

That's an interesting, and concise report.
I do not use the Store at all so I have never had this issue, personally.
I do have a solution in mind . . . of coarse it'll require a new version of the software.
Maybe this coming Monday.

RE: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Sunfox - 01-08-2022

(01-08-2022, 09:39 PM)Shark007 Wrote: That's an interesting, and concise report.
I do not use the Store at all so I have never had this issue, personally.
I do have a solution in mind . . . of coarse it'll require a new version of the software.
Maybe this coming Monday.

No worries! Just figured this was a very difficult/frustrating problem to troubleshoot, and once I found the cause today it was like a huge relief. Might help others. I’ll be pleased to test.

I’ve been using your codec packs since… well, a very very long time ago. Seems my forum account was reset at some point.

RE: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Shark007 - 01-09-2022

On the Help TAB is a checkbox for Automatic Updates. It auto-updates everything installed.
The fix I had in mind is available in the Application update, v15.5.4.2. (64bit only at this time)

If you navigate to C:\ProgramData\Shark007 and delete settings64.ini (This directory is hidden by Windows)
It would simulate a clean install next time you executed the Application.

RE: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Shark007 - 01-09-2022

To ensure the Store issue doesn't show itself 'out of the box' so to speak,
I've decided to uncheck the [x] WMP suggested settings checkbox by Default and whenever the user presses [RESET ALL].
I have also altered the hover help text of the checkbox to inform the user that it breaks the Movies & TV App along with the Store.

These changes will be present in tomorrow's public release. v15.5.5.0  and x11.9.5.0
If you use the Auto-Update feature, you do not need to download anything else.

RE: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Sunfox - 01-10-2022

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

For some reason, since initially fixing the error by unticking the WMP box, I can't actually get it to break again. At least, not such that running a simple update check in Store causes the apps to try to "repair" themselves unsuccessfully like it initially did.

I tried deleting the settings file, doing an uninstall / reinstall of the old version, and it continues to work whether this box is ticked or not. I then updated to the new version, and it's still fine. Seems like it's something that breaks or isn't configured properly once, and once corrected, that setting isn't being broken again.

RE: Codecs prevent Windows 11 Store Installations/Updates - Shark007 - 01-10-2022

I appreciate your follow up.

I feel that by setting that checkbox as unchecked by default,
It will at least help new users who do have the Store issue know where it originated.

I haven't been able to reproduce your issue
but I did see at least one post out in the wild almost identical to yours,
and that was enough to convince me to make this change in the Default settings.