Windows audio and video playback help
New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Printable Version

+- Windows audio and video playback help (https://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Windows audio and video playback help (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Windows-audio-and-video-playback-help)
+--- Forum: Icaros Development (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development)
+--- Thread: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 (/Thread-New-Release-3-3-0-Beta-3)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Xanashi - 06-22-2022

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Got a followup release today, with bug fixes and improvements to the previous two releases.
It also contains a few new features that didn't make in the previous build.

I hope you all enjoy the new release!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Icaros v.3.3.0 Beta 3]

- Added AIF/AIFF/AIFC property support
- Made the [Und] track language tag optional, and hidden by default
- Fixed and improved the WAV property and tag parser
- Fixed properties of several different types of MP4/MOV files
- Fixed hang when generating properties for certain MP4 files
- Fixed OGA, WEBMA, WEBMV not showing thier properties in File Explorer
- Fixed thumbnailing of certain PAL8 files
- Fixed crash if the current Icaros Cache Location had suddenly gotten
  restrictive permissions applied to the folder
- IcarosConfig now performs a permission check on the current Icaros
  Cache Location, when going to the Cache Page. If the check fails,
  an option has been added to attempt to fix the permission issues.
- When opening IcarosConfig for the first time, the default theme will now
  match the current Windows App theme
- Improved Debug Mode: Icaros should now catch far fewer crashes caused
  by other software loaded in the same process as Icaros

Icaros 3.3.0 Beta 3 Installer: Download
Icaros 3.3.0 Beta 3 Portable: Download

Issue Tracker

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Shark007 - 06-22-2022

Really appreciate the quick update.  THANKS.

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Klaus1189 - 06-23-2022

Thank you Heart

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Mrantz - 07-07-2022

Hello, and welcome back.  Glad to hear you are doing better. Thank you for the great app updates.  I've been running Beta 3 for almost a week now.  The 2 significant issues I had with the previous version (the app would often crash - ungracefully - when using the Tools-> Debug on larger directories with several directory levels and the Cache Max Size hitting the 4GB threshold) both appear resolved.  I've run more than several large directories through the Debug section, and the app has not crashed once.  Regarding the cache size... well, I'm currently at 50,250 entries at about 14.60GB and still counting with no issues as I can tell. 

Awesome App Updates !!! Again, thank you for all your hard work - most appreciated !

-M Rantala

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Xanashi - 07-11-2022

(07-07-2022, 07:00 AM)Mrantz Wrote: Hello, and welcome back.  Glad to hear you are doing better. Thank you for the great app updates.  I've been running Beta 3 for almost a week now.  The 2 significant issues I had with the previous version (the app would often crash - ungracefully - when using the Tools-> Debug on larger directories with several directory levels and the Cache Max Size hitting the 4GB threshold) both appear resolved.  I've run more than several large directories through the Debug section, and the app has not crashed once.  Regarding the cache size... well, I'm currently at 50,250 entries at about 14.60GB and still counting with no issues as I can tell. 

Awesome App Updates !!! Again, thank you for all your hard work - most appreciated !

-M Rantala

Hi M Rantala,

Thank you so much for the kind words! And your feedback is incredibly appreciated.
I personally haven't had a chance to test the huge cache sizes in a natural scenario (I had to simulate it during testing),
so hearing that it works exactly as intended is great relief! 
Also good to hear that the Debug section and everything else is running smoothly. 
I'll try to get the final version out of this build soon, just need to fix 1 or 2 more reported issues. 

You're very welcome Heart

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - kamild - 07-20-2022

I also highly appreciate the update. OPUS files are no longer causing Explorer to struggle with showing directory contents Smile

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Lem - 07-30-2022

Hello Xanashi

Thank you so much for this update.

I haven't checked Icaros for a little while, so I was absolutely delighted to see that metadata properties for the formats I listed in my previous post have now been added (.oga, .mka, .aiff/.aifc, .mov). Big Grin

I am so grateful to you for doing this! It's a testament to you as a developer that you pay such genuine attention to the user-feedback that's sent to you (which many other developers would typically just ignore).

The improvements in v.3.3.0 Beta 3 were immediately noticeable. For the first time EVER I can now see metadata for my .oga ogg audio files without having to rename them to .ogg (which would make them to open in my video player instead of my audio player). It was also great to see .mov support working, as well as seeing that aiff/aifc support had been added to Icaros (particularly because this was a whole new format, and not just a renamed extension of an already supported format).

There are just few issues remaining:

1. ogg properties do not display bitrates (see screenshot below) but all other .oga properties seem to be displaying ok.

2. aiff properties do not display the title (although all other aiff info seems to be displayed correctly, including bitrate)

3. mka (and therefore also mkv) are not displaying anything at all (again see attached screenshot)

Hopefully you'll be able to make these last few adjustments before release.

Icaros' ability to handle all major formats is so very nearly complete. I cannot tell you how much this will simplify things for users. Previous solutions always seemed to only work in one area but not another, so the user ended up having to use multiple overlapping tools (with all the potential conflicts that this can cause). So it will be great to finally have a "one-stop shop" utility like Icaros that can handle everything (instead of having to mess around mixing and matching various different shell extensions).

This comprehensive format support and intuitive ease of use will make Icaros a great recommendation for other less-technical users who have issues with missing thumbnails and media file properties (which is potentially a lot of people, seeing how inadequate and incomplete MS Windows is when it comes to format support). Recommending Icaros to these people will be a no-brainer because it's basically a click-and-go solution. You don't have to walk anyone through the process of registering dlls etc. you can just say to them: "Install Icaros. That will display what you want".

Thank you again for your ongoing hard work on this wonderful project. Heart You are a legend, sir!

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - rainman74 - 08-09-2022

Presumably there is a memory leak in 3.3.0 Beta 1-3 which causes Windows Explorer to crash on Windows 11 about every 2 hours (tested on 22H2 with 10.0.22622.450, 10.0.22621.450 and earlier versions)

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - Shark007 - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 06:39 PM)rainman74 Wrote: Presumably there is a memory leak in 3.3.0 Beta 1-3 which causes Windows Explorer to crash on Windows 11 about every 2 hours (tested on 22H2 with 10.0.22622.450, 10.0.22621.450 and earlier versions)

I cannot duplicate the presented scenario.
I have a desktop and a laptop running 24/7 both with 22622.450

RE: New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3 - rainman74 - 08-10-2022

(08-09-2022, 09:10 PM)Shark007 Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 06:39 PM)rainman74 Wrote: Presumably there is a memory leak in 3.3.0 Beta 1-3 which causes Windows Explorer to crash on Windows 11 about every 2 hours (tested on 22H2 with 10.0.22622.450, 10.0.22621.450 and earlier versions)

I cannot duplicate the presented scenario.
I have a desktop and a laptop running 24/7 both with 22622.450

I specify it further. I use the following settings and it seems to occur only in interaction with the Explorer Patcher (https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher) or Start11 (https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/), and only if you also let Icaros generate thumbnail for video & image files and use the cache.

If you want more information, I can provide it.

[Image: INcWyC6.png]