HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - Printable Version

+- (https://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Choose a topic below (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Choose-a-topic-below)
+--- Forum: ADVANCED Codecs (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-ADVANCED-Codecs)
+--- Thread: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor (/Thread-HEVC-codec-from-Windows-10-store-Adobe-Premier-video-editor)

HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - lifespeed - 11-09-2020

I would like to use HEVC codec from Windows 10 store in support of Adobe Premier video editing software.  I installed the HEVC codec, but when I run Adobe Premier it continues to give me an error indicating the HEVC codec is not installed.

I suspect this has to do with Shark007 codecs, but I am unsure how to proceed to confirm if this is the case and remedy the issue.  Is it possible for the Windows 10 store codec to coexist with Shark007, or is that even the right approach?  Should I disable Shark007s HEVC codec in favor of the Windows version, and would this allow the Windows 10 store codec to function?  Would this impact MPC-BE functionality (version to work with Shark007)?

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - Shark007 - 11-09-2020

The codecs installed by my software are called DirectShow codecs. (Windows Media Player and MPC-BE uses them)
These codecs use a completely different sub-system than the ones from the Windows store.
The Windows store codecs are called Media Foundation codecs. (Movies & TV App uses them MPC-BE cannot use them)
These 2 completely different decoding systems do not interact at all.
You can get updated MF Codecs HERE
They co-exist on your system right from the installation of Windows.

I know nothing of Adobe Premiere. I cannot troubleshoot that software for you.
Installing my software would not cause Adobe Premiere to act any differently than before you installed it.
I didn't specifically address HEVC because that is just a codec used to compress a raw video file.

Installing my software enhances your ability to view movies or video clips (in WMP) that are not supported by the Movies and TV App.
WMP will default to using Windows store codecs unless you check the box [x] WMP suggested settings
Then it will start using the LAV Filters installed by my software and work similarly to MPC-BE

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - lifespeed - 11-09-2020

(11-09-2020, 10:58 PM)Shark007 Wrote: Installing my software enhances your ability to view movies or video clips (in WMP) that are not supported by the Movies and TV App.
WMP will default to using Windows store codecs unless you check the box [x] WMP suggested settings
Then it will start using the LAV Filters installed by my software and work similarly to MPC-BE

I wonder if checking the WMP suggested settings causes an issue when Adobe Premier looks for the media foundation codec?  To be clear, Adobe Premier was installed after Shark007, which I have used for years.  And I don't expect you troubleshoot Adobe software.  I'm aware the codecs I used have been changed by your software, so the question arose, as Adobe seemed to be complaining about a codec problem.

You have explained the difference between Direct Show and Media Foundation codecs.  It would appear they're unrelated.  But it would seem wise to uninstall Shark007 codecs and revisit the Adobe Premier behavior.  I'll keep you posted.

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - Shark007 - 11-10-2020

Yes, checking that box COULD cause Premiere to have an issue.

Close Premiere. Uncheck it. No reboot needed. test Premiere.

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - lifespeed - 11-10-2020

(11-10-2020, 12:03 AM)Shark007 Wrote: Yes, checking that box COULD cause Premiere to have an issue.

I can confirm that unchecking WMP settings allows Premiere to open h265 video for editing.

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - ctorbaoglu - 11-11-2020

(11-10-2020, 01:12 AM)lifespeed Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:03 AM)Shark007 Wrote: Yes, checking that box COULD cause Premiere to have an issue.

I can confirm that unchecking WMP settings allows Premiere to open h265 video for editing.

Well,
I already use premiere pro without installed HEVC or whatsoever. I only installed Shark Advanced codecs and Adobe give me no troubles about HEVC. My Premiere version is 14.5.0.51. And I heard previous version have issues . This may help.

Regards

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - lifespeed - 11-11-2020

(11-11-2020, 05:55 PM)ctorbaoglu Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 01:12 AM)lifespeed Wrote: I can confirm that unchecking WMP settings allows Premiere to open h265 video for editing.

Well,
I already use premiere pro without installed HEVC or whatsoever. I only installed Shark Advanced codecs and Adobe give me no troubles about HEVC. My Premiere version is 14.5.0.51. And I heard previous version have issues . This may help.

Regards

Thanks for the info.   After briefly trialing Adobe Premier Elements I am completely unimpressed with it's limited capabilities.  Mostly I want to trim and join h265 10-bit HDR (limited to cutting at keyframes, I believe) without re-encoding and the associated quality loss.  Probably the Pro version has more capabilities, although I don't know if it will function without re-encoding.

I'm going to try Shotcut.

RE: HEVC codec from Windows 10 store, Adobe Premier video editor - ctorbaoglu - 11-11-2020

ctorbaoglu
[quote pid="162" dateline="1605128128"]

Regards
[/quote]

Thanks for the info.   After briefly trialing Adobe Premier Elements I am completely unimpressed with it's limited capabilities.  Mostly I want to trim and join h265 10-bit HDR (limited to cutting at keyframes, I believe) without re-encoding and the associated quality loss.  Probably the Pro version has more capabilities, although I don't know if it will function without re-encoding.
https://creativecow.net/forums/thread/cutting-clip-re-renderaeae/
I'm going to try Shotcut.

check this out:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/anyway-to-trim-mp4-clips-without-encoding-again/td-p/9803792?page=1
Edit by Shark007 - The above link is 2 years old.

They said;
Premiere Pro with preview render an entire defined area or sequence as a clip, and it does cause one to wonder sometimes just what constitutes sufficient change that the stored render is no longer suitable and a re-render is triggered. It does seem as if trimming usually works fine but any change within the span of a clip itself (trimming/cutting one layer of several that are composited together, etc.) will usually cause the entire clip to require a re-render. 
Also here:
The Project Manager will call up Media Encoder to make any exports happen, if need be. If your source material is smart rendering aware, it will be only copying files (like trimming videos on your mobile device). Otherwise, some post processing needs to occur.
(in here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/anyway-to-trim-mp4-clips-without-encoding-again/td-p/9803792?page=1)