MKV showing 0 for runtime - Printable Version

+- (https://shark007.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Choose a topic below (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-Choose-a-topic-below)
+--- Forum: STANDARD Codecs (https://shark007.net/forum/Forum-STANDARD-Codecs)
+--- Thread: MKV showing 0 for runtime (/Thread-MKV-showing-0-for-runtime)

MKV showing 0 for runtime - davexnet - 12-24-2020

Hi Shark -
have you any idea why the MKV files in Windows explorer/properties
you get valid runtime information, but when in WMP/videos the runtime is 0
and you are unable to seek in the file?

Is this just missing support in Windows 8.1?

These files are still able to be cast to the TV and play OK.  I can play them
(push) from within Windows ("play to") and I can pull them from the TV.

I'm using a version 7 of your standard codec because I could not figure out the newer version;
I answered yes to the question when you select Shark007 suggested setting.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas[attachment=32]

RE: MKV showing 0 for runtime - Shark007 - 12-24-2020

I've done a lot of work since version 7.
version 7 is but a faint memory to me these days.
Use the 2 uninstallers on the Help TAB and grab the latest 64bit portable version.

Extract it somewhere that you intend to just leave it there. (there is no installer)
User the Laucher64.exe to open the GUI (read the readme at your convenience)
at the bottom of the GUI, use the checkbox, [x] WMP suggested settings. You're all set.

That's all there is to it.

RE: MKV showing 0 for runtime - davexnet - 12-25-2020

(12-24-2020, 11:34 PM)Shark007 Wrote: I've done a lot of work since version 7.
version 7 is but a faint memory to me these days.
Use the 2 uninstallers on the Help TAB and grab the latest 64bit portable version.

Extract it somewhere that you intend to just leave it there. (there is no installer)
User the Laucher64.exe to open the GUI (read the readme at your convenience)
at the bottom of the GUI, use the checkbox, [x] WMP suggested settings. You're all set.

That's all there is to it.

Thank you for your help.  I have installed your portable version, rebuilt the media library using your tool,
and now these mkv files show up under "other media" instead of under "videos" as they did before.
However, they now play in WMP and seek is working.  They are also accessible from my TV and the server cast app
in my phone.
I have a single music album folder containing flac files also showing up under "other media"
but it usable.
Thank you - is this the expected result?  Better now, that's for sure.

It's my understanding these issue are all "fixed" in Windows 10

RE: MKV showing 0 for runtime - Shark007 - 12-25-2020

Yes, this is the expected result.

RE: MKV showing 0 for runtime - davexnet - 12-29-2020

(12-25-2020, 07:32 AM)Shark007 Wrote: Yes, this is the expected result.

Thanks Shark.

It does seem that under no circumstances will it allow media files in a USB Flash drive folder
to be shared.  The drive is plugged into the PC directly.
The  folder is defined to WMP libraries and shared is enabled, but the files (mkv and mp4)
just don't show up in the DLNA clients (my TV itself and an Android app called "Server Cast")

This happens whether your pack is installed or not - Windows limitation ?

RE: MKV showing 0 for runtime - Shark007 - 12-29-2020

I searched the Internet for an answer for you. Here is what I came up with...

"If you want to access media from an external hard drive be sure to include this location in your folders to "watch" so they show up in Media Center."

"Set WMC  /  tasks>settings>TV>Recorder> Recorder storage>record on that drive."

RE: MKV showing 0 for runtime - davexnet - 12-29-2020

(12-29-2020, 08:27 AM)Shark007 Wrote: I searched the Internet for an answer for you. Here is what I came up with...

"If you want to access media from an external hard drive be sure to include this location in your folders to "watch" so they show up in Media Center."

"Set WMC  /  tasks>settings>TV>Recorder> Recorder storage>record on that drive."

Thanks for looking.  I've given up on it for now.  I found the following paragraph which acknowledges the issue:

"WMP could not (by design, I assume) share anything that was on a USB flash drive.
Just couldn't - that is not Samsung's problem. I hear that PC Share Manager, in fact, *can* do that. (?)
But I figured I could always just plug my USB drive into the TV directly."

I have a real external HDD, Samsung portable 1TB, USB interface - and those files I can share/cast without any issues