-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
New Release: 3.3.0 Beta 3

(08-12-2022, 10:40 AM)rainman74 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 07:13 AM)Shark007 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 05:31 AM)rainman74 Wrote: I specify it further. I use the following settings and it seems to occur only in interaction with the Explorer Patcher (https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher) or Start11 (https://www.stardock.com/products/start11/), and only if you also let Icaros generate thumbnail for video & image files and use the cache.

The short between the seat and the keyboard is not caused by Icaros.
When you choose to create your own problems, you need to solve them on your own terms.

It's not that simple! ;-)

Even without Explorer Patcher and Start 11 something is wrong with Icaros 3.3.x!

With Windows 10.0.22621.382+ (22H2) no more graphics are displayed if Icaros is also enabled for images.

Look here for an example:

Hi rainman74, Was your issues fixed in the end with Shark007's suggestions?

(08-25-2022, 11:19 PM)Yonah Wrote: Is support for Windows Vista discontinued with the release of 3.3.0? I do so hope not, though Icaros would not install for me.

Hi Yonah,

Vista will be supported in 3.3.0, I've fixed the issue you had in the upcoming release.
However be sure to read the release notes about Vista, when the next build is released.

(09-01-2022, 05:34 PM)adev Wrote: I've found Icaros today right after my win11 stopped generating video thumbnails and I wanted to say thanks!
My firewall didn't warn for any connection to anywhere after I've run the portable, this is another plus for an app and no trust issues whatsoever  Rolleyes

I just wonder how does Icaros keep generating thumbnails even after I close the portable app and wont run again? I'm trying to understand what went wrong suddenly with my default win11 video thumbnail generation. 

Thank you and this software!

I'm very happy you like it!

Icaros doesn't have any networking code atm, which I really like as well. 
I have considered if I should add function that checks for new versions, but I'm not sure if it is necessary really.

The IcarosConfig GUI is only really needed to make changes to Icaros' settings, the File Explorer settings or manage the Icaros Cache.
The shell extensions themselves are small modules/libraries that are automatically loaded and unloaded by Windows Explorer whenever it needs them.
It's a fairly simple and clean solution, that also makes it so shell extensions doesn't need to be running in the background or start up with Windows,
they are just small dll files on your drive that are loaded on demand.

The reason why they sometimes stop working are either because the shell extension modules (dll files) have been moved, or because something has
altered your registry settings, so Windows Explorer can no longer find the correct locations of the modules on your drive. The latter can usually be 
solved by registering the shell extensions again.

IcarosConfig also comes with a "Reset native filetypes" section on the Tools page, where your default Windows shell extensions can be restored
to their original setup in the registry. That will most likely fix your original issue.

(09-13-2022, 01:55 AM)Mrantz Wrote: Oh...2 last points:  1)  you're right, @Xanashi is AMAZING - this tool is fantastic, and their support is great to. I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever seen a request for enhancement or some additional file type to be supported ever refused !!  And I don't think there's a "team" behind this either... I think it's just one SUPER HUMAN BEING !  LOL... Since I can almost say with a 100% confidence that you will be using this tool for YEARS to come (not kidding - it's been a must have on my PC for at least 4 years now) - I'd encourage you to donate whatever you can when you can.  Obviously your call, but I think you'll agree that this tool is worth something for sure.  2) Regarding your English.... you embarrass me!!!  I'm an American, born an American, and English is my only language. Your English.... IS PRACTICALLY BETTER THAN MINE !!!!  If English was one of your bad subjects in school, then.. Geez, I wonder what you can do in your good subjects !  Seriously... forget a translator.... you absolutely DO NOT need it !!

Thank you so much for you wonderful compliments, Matt. 
It really means the world to me.  <3

And also thank you so much for helping people out when I'm not around.
Basically everyone helping out with support in here are all lifesavers, you're all the best!

Also you and @Pipo12 don't need to apologize for your grammar or English, all is perfectly good. <3
(that being said English is not my native language either, so maybe I'm not the best judge :D )

(09-04-2022, 01:11 PM)Pipo12 Wrote: First of all I'd like to apologize for my crappy english, it isn't my native language and although I studied it in the school years ago I must admit I was a pathetic student and I'm totally against translators because they sound very artificial so I'm typing this by my own without any help.

Secondly I'd like to say what's the most important for me: THANKS @Xanashi and all people behind this program/utility/project, it's an incredible and useful tool for media consumer users like me. You guys are amazing!  Big Grin.

Ok, that being said I'd like to ask what's the difference between the installer and portable version and its maintenance. I already know the main differences between portable and installed versions of common programs i.e. 7ZIP, Calibre, Transmission... But I cannot see the difference with Icaros. Why am I asking this? Because today I did a fresh and clean install of W11 Home and my aim is to keep it as aseptic and immutable as possible. I'm a super basic user and I just need 7-8 programs at most for my computer usage (I got rid of all W11 bloatware) so I'm trying to get all of them in their respective portable versions to keep the Windows registry and folders/archive as clean as possible so I'm considering installing Icaros on its portable version. What are the pros/cons if I do so?

Thanks for your time and help.

Best regards.

Hi Pipo12,

Like Matt mentioned, there isn't a big difference between the installer and the portable version of Icaros. 

1. The installer places Icaros in your "Program Files" directory, and performs a quick check for the .NET 4 framework during installation,
if the framework is not installed, it will automatically install it.
2. If you're using the installer to upgrade Icaros, it will automatically warn about the files currently being "in use" and upgrade safely.
3. And finally the uninstaller calls the "IcarosConfig.exe -uninstall" command, that makes sure all Icaros applied Explorer settings are reversed and Icaros is disabled, before removing it.

The last uninstall command can also be called manually when using the portable version of Icaros.

Icaros does leave two unimpactful/harmless keys in the registry, namely:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Icaros
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Icaros

(They are left so users don't unintentionally lose their Icaros settings)

Everything else in the registry should remain untouched after doing an -uninstall command.
To remove these to keys as well, you can run the following command "IcarosConfig.exe -uninstall -settings=delete". That should remove every trace of Icaros.

Besides the 3 above points, there really isn't any difference between the installer and the portable version.

(10-13-2022, 09:30 PM)aj33 Wrote: Hi, I just built a new system with Windows 11 22H2. The thumbnail is captured at the very beginning instead of at the 25% thumbnail offset. I tried timestamp as well but no change. Anyone else on 22H2? I tried 3.2.1 and found the behavior the same. Otherwise Icaros is removing the icon and movie reel overlays as expected so I know it is somewhat working.

Hi aj33,

I haven't tested Icaros on this version of Windows 11 yet, but it sounds like Icaros hasn't been enabled or registered properly yet on your system.
The icon and movie reel overlays doesn't require Icaros thumbnail provider to be enabled to work, so they can still work separately from the shell extensions themselves.
For now, try and disable and reenable Icaros Thumbnailing, and then clear the Windows Cache on the Tools page of IcarosConfig.
Finally click the Restart Windows Explorer button on the same page.

(10-20-2022, 06:08 PM)Xanashi Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 09:30 PM)aj33 Wrote: Hi, I just built a new system with Windows 11 22H2. The thumbnail is captured at the very beginning instead of at the 25% thumbnail offset. I tried timestamp as well but no change. Anyone else on 22H2? I tried 3.2.1 and found the behavior the same. Otherwise Icaros is removing the icon and movie reel overlays as expected so I know it is somewhat working.

Hi aj33,

I haven't tested Icaros on this version of Windows 11 yet, but it sounds like Icaros hasn't been enabled or registered properly yet on your system.
The icon and movie reel overlays doesn't require Icaros thumbnail provider to be enabled to work, so they can still work separately from the shell extensions themselves.
For now, try and disable and reenable Icaros Thumbnailing, and then clear the Windows Cache on the Tools page of IcarosConfig.

This problem is solved. Looks like I overlooked that the default preset of file extensions didn't include mp4. I set the preset to Video Only and all is well.

(10-20-2022, 07:15 PM)aj33 Wrote:
(10-20-2022, 06:08 PM)Xanashi Wrote:

Hi aj33,

This problem is solved. Looks like I overlooked that the default preset of file extensions didn't include mp4. I set the preset to Video Only and all is well.

Phew! That is good to hear. It is always a bit nervewrecking, when new versions of Windows produce bugs in Icaros. 
Thank you for testing and writing back!

(10-20-2022, 12:33 PM)Xanashi Wrote: Hi Lem,

Thank you so so much for all the kind words and incredible support!  Heart
It post really means a lot to me! This is truly the kind of feedback that keeps the development of Icaros going.

About the remaining issues. Could you send me your test files, and I'll make sure to fix these issues as soon as I can.
I do know that the MKV tag parser is incomplete in Icaros, but I'm very much aiming to fix that soon.

Hi Xanashi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'd be happy to share my test files with you.

I have sent you a Private Message containing some links where you can download the files. The download also contains a text file with the results of my most recent tests that were done using the latest release candidate of Icaros (v3.3.0 RC 1).

Please check your InBox for details.

Many thanks.

(10-27-2022, 07:26 AM)Lem Wrote:
(10-20-2022, 12:33 PM)Xanashi Wrote: Hi Lem,

Thank you so so much for all the kind words and incredible support!  Heart
It post really means a lot to me! This is truly the kind of feedback that keeps the development of Icaros going.

About the remaining issues. Could you send me your test files, and I'll make sure to fix these issues as soon as I can.
I do know that the MKV tag parser is incomplete in Icaros, but I'm very much aiming to fix that soon.

Hi Xanashi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'd be happy to share my test files with you.

I have sent you a Private Message containing some links where you can download the files. The download also contains a text file with the results of my most recent tests that were done using the latest release candidate of Icaros (v3.3.0 RC 1).

Please check your InBox for details.

Many thanks.

Thank you so much, Lem!
I'll get back to you in a moment in the Private Messages.