-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Icaros is unable to build a cache: Indexer found no files... [Error 0x14]

(10-17-2022, 03:10 PM)Charly Gardel Wrote:
Quote:The view sizes was mostly useful in Windows Vista/7 because the view size setting in Explorer actually requested different sized
thumbnails depending on which view size was selected. In Windows 8.x and 10, this is no longer the case for most of the views. 
Now they just request the same size for almost any view, which is why Icaros has a Win 8 size and a Win 10 size option on the 
locations page.

Still confusing. Lets make it clear: using Windows 10. What to use? "win 10 icons" or XL ?

On Windows 10, "Win 10 Icons" should cover all view sizes in Explorer.

(10-14-2022, 12:26 AM)Same Wrote: Hi Xanashi,

American Steve in Japan here, if you need anything from this country, or translation, I can help you.

But I'm writing today to let you know I'm having the same problem as the two folks above me reported.

I'm not seeing how it can be so easily brushed away as user error. I simply downloaded Icaros, and get:

"Indexing Completed: Indexer found no files with included filetypes in current cache locations [0x14]"

And, in case you're wondering, the "C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\Icaros\IcarosCache" folder has no files.

My installation of Windows 10 is clean, and I don't have any similar-to-Icaros programs. Please help! :-)

Is there some W10 registry setting which you know of which might be causing Icaros to give this error?

Hi Steve, 

The next release of Icaros should hopefully fix this issue. Be sure to give it a try and let me know if it works or doesn't. :)

Hi Xanashi -- just wanted to chime in that this issue is present for me in the brand new release candidate.  Was working fine on b3, but the upgrade caused this error to start occurring.  when i downgrade, works fine again.  

i've tried rebuilding the cache, did a full clean install, etc. -- nothing seems to work.  still get the "icaros is unable to build a cache..." error from the subject line of this topic.  

seems to a bug because my paths are definitely valid and there's definitely media to be thumbnailed in them, and it works fine on the prior beta.  

ive got the issue on 2 different machines.

I've also had a similar (if not identical) issue to OP for years now. I get the Error 0x14 when trying to build the cache, although the cache does appear to "stick" when I manually navigate to folders, at least for a while. I do notice the cache for folders I haven't accessed in a while seems to reset, forcing regeneration of thumbnails, so this may be similar to what OP is seeing. I am not sure if that behavior is expected for files that are not modified.

I read Xanashi's post for the RC1 updates, and their mention of permissions got me thinking. I have a pretty nonstandard setup for home use, as I use an active directory lab environment, similar to a corporate setup. My computer is domain joined and I log in with a domain account. For those who are unaware, the domain account exists in active directory and is authenticated by a domain controller (in my case, a Windows 2019 server). The first time logging into a PC, it creates a local profile and caches the domain account and credentials so it is available offline. This is similar functionality to the newer Microsoft Accounts that MS is forcing highly encouraging people to use.

One thing I noticed while logged into my domain account is while the cache continues to grow in size on the config screen, I am unable to delete the cache via the Icaros config program. I tried installing on a VM, and noticed the default directory in AppData is not created automatically. It seems the 0x14 error may indicate that Icaros doesn't have proper permission to the cache files or doesn't have proper permission to the locations added on the cache page.

To test further, I logged into a local account on my machine and everything worked properly. So, I am guessing non-local accounts are causing the problem (this could include Microsoft Accounts as well). I checked the permissions of the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Icaros\IcarosCache directory and everything looks proper (my domain account, system, and the local administrators group all have full access). I also tried changing this directory, but the error remained. My domain account is a member of the local administrators group, similarly to how a local account would be set up.

I am no programmer, but I'm wondering if an outdated method is being used to query the logged-in user account? I have seen similar issues with older games released in the early 2000's... they have problems saving because they can't find the user profile directory. I last saw this years ago with GTA5, but after a while they patched whatever was causing the problem.

Happy to help troubleshoot if this is something you are willing to look at! I see you have a GitHub as well, and can add to the thread there if it's helpful. Other than this minor annoyance, Icaros has been a great little utility over the years!

(10-24-2022, 10:04 PM)robertoleonardo Wrote: Hi Xanashi -- just wanted to chime in that this issue is present for me in the brand new release candidate.  Was working fine on b3, but the upgrade caused this error to start occurring.  when i downgrade, works fine again.  

i've tried rebuilding the cache, did a full clean install, etc. -- nothing seems to work.  still get the "icaros is unable to build a cache..." error from the subject line of this topic.  

seems to a bug because my paths are definitely valid and there's definitely media to be thumbnailed in them, and it works fine on the prior beta.  

ive got the issue on 2 different machines.

Thanks for testing! 
Could you write to me on my mail xanashi[at]gmail[dot]com, I have a test build I would like to send to you to try out.

(11-04-2022, 02:02 AM)funkyd Wrote: I've also had a similar (if not identical) issue to OP for years now. I get the Error 0x14 when trying to build the cache, although the cache does appear to "stick" when I manually navigate to folders, at least for a while. I do notice the cache for folders I haven't accessed in a while seems to reset, forcing regeneration of thumbnails, so this may be similar to what OP is seeing. I am not sure if that behavior is expected for files that are not modified.

I read Xanashi's post for the RC1 updates, and their mention of permissions got me thinking. I have a pretty nonstandard setup for home use, as I use an active directory lab environment, similar to a corporate setup. My computer is domain joined and I log in with a domain account. For those who are unaware, the domain account exists in active directory and is authenticated by a domain controller (in my case, a Windows 2019 server). The first time logging into a PC, it creates a local profile and caches the domain account and credentials so it is available offline. This is similar functionality to the newer Microsoft Accounts that MS is forcing highly encouraging people to use.

One thing I noticed while logged into my domain account is while the cache continues to grow in size on the config screen, I am unable to delete the cache via the Icaros config program. I tried installing on a VM, and noticed the default directory in AppData is not created automatically. It seems the 0x14 error may indicate that Icaros doesn't have proper permission to the cache files or doesn't have proper permission to the locations added on the cache page.

To test further, I logged into a local account on my machine and everything worked properly. So, I am guessing non-local accounts are causing the problem (this could include Microsoft Accounts as well). I checked the permissions of the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Icaros\IcarosCache directory and everything looks proper (my domain account, system, and the local administrators group all have full access). I also tried changing this directory, but the error remained. My domain account is a member of the local administrators group, similarly to how a local account would be set up.

I am no programmer, but I'm wondering if an outdated method is being used to query the logged-in user account? I have seen similar issues with older games released in the early 2000's... they have problems saving because they can't find the user profile directory. I last saw this years ago with GTA5, but after a while they patched whatever was causing the problem.

Happy to help troubleshoot if this is something you are willing to look at! I see you have a GitHub as well, and can add to the thread there if it's helpful. Other than this minor annoyance, Icaros has been a great little utility over the years!

Hi funkyd,

I am super interested in your use-case and would love to fix it in Icaros. 
I'm not doing any account impersonation during the Cache Indexing. 
When running the indexer, it runs the entire thumbnailing -> Icaros Cache chain, with administrative rights,
since IcarosConfig is always started with admin rights. 
When Explorer is running the same chain, it is run with the current local users rights. 

I can definitely see issues coming up, if either process don't have the proper permissions to access the cache location,
or even the files that is queued up to be indexed. 
The 0x14 error could indicate that the issue is with accessing the files themselves and not the Icaros Cache location.
Maybe we could look into this first. I'm working on a test build, that may give some more info on the 0x14 error. 

Would you mind bringing this issue to my GitHub page, either to the Discussions or Issues would be great. ;)

Hi Everyone with the 0x14 issue,

Could you please try this test build and see if it helps:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ji3skjlc7...t.zip/file

It contains some new pathing logic, and a debug dialog that pops up if the 0x14 error is hit.
If you see this dialog, please let me know what it says.