-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
New Release: 3.2.1 Final

Hey, I've seemingly used this tool for years via the K-Lite Codec Pack, the thumbnail fixes and timing adjustment provided by Icaros has been really useful.

I've recently come across the issue where thumbnails do not get properly generated for files in symbolic links to network paths.

I recently built a NAS and moved a bunch of media to it, Windows Explorer properly generates thumbnails (both via and without Icarus) for media viewed through the network path (\\address\share\...) or through a mapped network drive, but NOT through a symbolic link to a network path (mklink /D "D:/Media" "\\address\Media"), I primarily use the symbolic link to access my media, I saw that the old change logs (version 2.0.0) mentioned a fix for thumbnails on network drives, could this be addressed for symbolic links to network paths as well?
Windows Explorer does manage to generate thumbnails to certain JPG files, but not all, and all other media has no thumbnails (but the default ones).

I use Windows 8.1 but this is an issue that's been reported online as far back as Windows 7 and as far forward as 10.

If this does get fixed, but image formats remain broken (since they're not handled by Icaros), would it be possible for Icaros to generate thumbnails the same way Windows does for images? (mostly regarding gifs, use the same frame Windows picks for the thumbnail).

(08-06-2021, 01:23 AM)Dor Wrote: Hey, I've seemingly used this tool for years via the K-Lite Codec Pack, the thumbnail fixes and timing adjustment provided by Icaros has been really useful.

I've recently come across the issue where thumbnails do not get properly generated for files in symbolic links to network paths.

I recently built a NAS and moved a bunch of media to it, Windows Explorer properly generates thumbnails (both via and without Icarus) for media viewed through the network path (\\address\share\...) or through a mapped network drive, but NOT through a symbolic link to a network path (mklink /D "D:/Media" "\\address\Media"), I primarily use the symbolic link to access my media, I saw that the old change logs (version 2.0.0) mentioned a fix for thumbnails on network drives, could this be addressed for symbolic links to network paths as well?
Windows Explorer does manage to generate thumbnails to certain JPG files, but not all, and all other media has no thumbnails (but the default ones).

I use Windows 8.1 but this is an issue that's been reported online as far back as Windows 7 and as far forward as 10.

If this does get fixed, but image formats remain broken (since they're not handled by Icaros), would it be possible for Icaros to generate thumbnails the same way Windows does for images? (mostly regarding gifs, use the same frame Windows picks for the thumbnail).
Yes, it would be a good idea because author of SageThumbs does not support his application anymore.  I tried one paid analog (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack) to this freeware but it did not correct work for psd extensions (moreover it crashed for some types of files).  SageThumbs which developed based on XnView libraries show properly.  For now I am using Pictus for psd.   By the way Win 10 doesn't have it's own previewer for WEBM files.  Sorry, I understand that it is too much works for author of this application....

May I make a suggestion? I wonder if you would enhance the Property Handler for WAV files to show additional properties. 

As it stands, Icaros shows fewer properties than AudioShell, which means I have to have both AudioShell and Icaros installed if I want to query for (or even see the) properties in WAV files (when ideally I would like to have only Icaros).

AudioShell:

[Image: tE9pIDN.png]

Icaros:

[Image: nmpp5pb.png]

Icaros shows Audio Channels, Audio Sample Rate, Bit Depth, Bit Rate, Length, and Size properties. AudioShell shows additional properties such as Album, Artist, Comment, Genre, Rating, Title, and Year.

What this ultimately means is that items will not appear in search results when using only Icaros, which is devastating from a usability perspective; items can have metadata and the user would never know.

(08-14-2021, 11:07 AM)UriF Wrote: Yes, it would be a good idea because author of SageThumbs does not support his application anymore.  I tried one paid analog (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack) to this freeware but it did not correct work for psd extensions (moreover it crashed for some types of files).  SageThumbs which developed based on XnView libraries show properly.  For now I am using Pictus for psd.   By the way Win 10 doesn't have it's own previewer for WEBM files.  Sorry, I understand that it is too much works for author of this application....
I'm mostly concerned with a solution for symlinked network paths, mostly for the formats and codecs currently supported by Icaros as well as default image formats such as jpg, png, gif.
If there is a solution for this issue then further image format support would be nice, sure, I'm currently missing an extension to preview webp (static and animated), dds and svgs.

I do appreciate all the work that's been done so far, as I first mentioned I only recently found out that I've relied on this software for my work with media for years through K-Lite, as a software dev myself and my own experience with free and public projects I know how much work goes into keeping something like this active, I'll be sending a small donation soon to express my thanks, and hopefully my niche use case can be fixed.