-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Problems with properties display for certain file types

Hi Xanashi,

I've just discovered this amazing Icaros software (after having used Media Preview Configuration for many years). There are a small handful of solutions to fix the Explorer missing thumbnails issue, but there are far fewer solutions for displaying file metadata properties in Explorer, so I was really excited to see this feature was included in Icaros.

However, I have noticed a few issues with regards to file format support. Some well-known major file formats are missing , while others are included, but they don't display any info in Explorer when Icaros Properties is activated for those file types. I understand it's not worth supporting rare and obscure file formats, but the ones listed below are very common and well used.

Missing file types:

.oga (Ogg Audio)
.mov (Quicktime Movie)
.aif /.aiff (Audio Interchange File Format)
.aifc (Audio Interchange File compressed)

Icaros already has the video specific versions of ogg (ogv - ogg video and ogm - ogg media) but yet it does not have the audio counterpart (oga - ogg audio) which is used much more often than the video variants.

It would also be good if you could include the audio and video specific versions of webm too (i.e. webma and webmv) seeing as webm is already included in Icaros.

The same applies to the audio and video specific versions of MP4 (m4a, mp4a and m4v, mp4v) which are also missing from Icaros, and therefore don't display properties even though they are based on the same MP4 file format.

I noticed that .wma and .wmv is not included in Icaros either, but maybe this is by design, seeing as wma/wmv are built-in Windows formats. Nevertheless, it might still be useful to include them so that they can be used to fix broken wma / wmv thumbnail and property associations that have become messed up by various media player installs. It also simplifies things by keeping all major file types managed in once place.

File type included but not working:

webm (shows no properties)
ogv (shows no properties)
flv (shows bitrate of 0kbps, and no other properties)
wav (shows bitrate correctly, but all other metadata is missing - e.g. title, comment etc.)

I tested using both Icaros v3.1.0 and v3.2.0 beta 1, and got the same result.

Running the Properties via Explorer debug test on the beta version shows an x beside the file formats listed above (despite the fact that webm, ogv, flv and wav are all included formats in Icaros).

Other than the issues that I have described above, Icaros is working great for me. For example, formats like WavPack (.wv) and flac display their properties perfectly in Explorer when enabled in Icaros.

I do hope that it will be possible for you to fix the issues that I have outlined above.

Thanks again for your hard work on this great product.

Messages In This Thread
Problems with properties display for certain file types - by Lem - 09-17-2020, 08:55 PM