-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Problems with properties display for certain file types

Hi Xanashi,

Just over a year ago I posted about some missing format compatibility in Icaros.

You kindly replied saying that you would add .oga (ogg audio) support "in the next version", but today I downloaded and tested the latest version (v3.2.1) and ogg audio properties are unfortunately still not working (see the attached screenshot below).

Seeing as how the ogg extension is often used for video, treating both oga and ogg as the same thing is not desirable. Ideally oga should have its own separate setting in Icaros > Properties > Audio so that the user can adjust settings for their music and video files separately and not be forced to have to apply the same settings to both. As I mentioned previously, this should be trivial to add because all of the work has already been done in Icaros for ogg (which works fine) so the exact same functionality just needs to be duplicated for the oga file extension, no other changes are needed.

You did also say that you'd look into adding aif/aiff metadata support, but I understand that this may take longer because there's no similar format already included in Icaros (so there's no existing compatibility to use as a starting point). However, the aiff format is used in many software applications and is also supplied by a lot of music sellers (especially places selling tracks for DJs). It's widely used because it's a more universal non OS-specific version of .wav that allows embedding of album art and has full metadata capability. So I do think it would be a very useful format to include in Icaros.

I don't seem to recall seeing an option for .mka (matroska audio) the last time that I checked Icaros, but I was absolutely delighted to see this included in v3.2.1. Unfortunately this does not work either (see the same screenshot above). Again, this should be an easy fix because Icaros already supports matroska, and .mka files are exactly the same as .mkv, just with a different extension so that they can be treated separately from video files (to associate them with different players etc.).

I understand that adding many formats can a lot of work, and if the formats are obscure or niche then it may not be worth the effort, but two of the three formats that I mentioned above are already implemented in Icaros, they just don't happen to work with the audio file extension of the format (.oga, .mka). Which just leaves one new format (aiff / aif) that would be really useful to have added to Icaros.

The other format issues that I mentioned in my first post from last year are more minor (for lesser used formats) so they are not as important.

Thank you for reading this. I appreciate you taking the time to listen to feedback from users.

LEM

P.S. I have attached some very small sample files to this post (.oga, .mka, .aiff) in case you find them useful for testing their metadata display.

Attached Files
.zip   Audio format samples.zip (Size: 984.12 KB / Downloads: 219)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problems with properties display for certain file types - by Lem - 10-12-2021, 04:56 PM