-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Thumbnails not working (Windows 11 ARM)

Hi there,

I've used Icaros previously on my desktop and loved it, but I'm having some issues now on a virtual machine. I'm running Windows 11 ARM through Parallels on an Apple Silicon M2 MacBook, and my video files that I want thumbnails for are on a Synology NAS. 

I know there is no official ARM release yet, but I was hoping there might be a way to get 3.3.1 to work as-is. In fact, everything seems to work fine (it can build a cache, clear it, select filetypes, etc.) except for the thumbnails feature.

When it's activated, all thumbnails disappear. 
When it's deactivated, Windows re-adds the default thumbnails. 

I've tried running as admin, restarting, running Icaros from the NAS, setting UAC to default... but no avail. Looks like there might be a problem with permissons, or maybe the ARM version of Windows 11 is just too different to work. Whatever the case, I would really appreciate some assistance and insight.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The MacOS thumbnail generator for video files is 10 million times worse than even Windows, so an Icaros version for Mac would be a godsend.

(10-26-2023, 09:03 PM)deeluxe Wrote: Hi there,

I've used Icaros previously on my desktop and loved it, but I'm having some issues now on a virtual machine. I'm running Windows 11 ARM through Parallels on an Apple Silicon M2 MacBook, and my video files that I want thumbnails for are on a Synology NAS. 

I know there is no official ARM release yet, but I was hoping there might be a way to get 3.3.1 to work as-is. In fact, everything seems to work fine (it can build a cache, clear it, select filetypes, etc.) except for the thumbnails feature.

When it's activated, all thumbnails disappear. 
When it's deactivated, Windows re-adds the default thumbnails. 

I've tried running as admin, restarting, running Icaros from the NAS, setting UAC to default... but no avail. Looks like there might be a problem with permissons, or maybe the ARM version of Windows 11 is just too different to work. Whatever the case, I would really appreciate some assistance and insight.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The MacOS thumbnail generator for video files is 10 million times worse than even Windows, so an Icaros version for Mac would be a godsend.

Hi deeluxe,

Windows 11 should have an x64 emulator allowing it to run native x64 code. And it sounds like it's working considering most parts of Icaros is working for you.
Does the properties display in Explorer?
This might be a limitation where the emulator simply doesn't work in the dllhost that loads the shell extension. 
I do wonder if I compiled Icaros with Arm64EC, if it would work correctly then on a ARM64 machine. 

If you write me a mail at xanashi[at]gmail[dot]com, I could try and send you that specific version of IcarosThumbnailProvider for testing.