-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
New Release: 3.3.1 Beta 1

Star 
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Todays beta release of Icaros focuses on improving the Property Handler.
All the audio formats has received a bit of love, adding new properties and
improving the parsing of already existing properties.
Several new formats have been added, and MKV tags are now finally being parsed
by Icaros and can be viewed in File Explorer.

This release also contains several bug fixes that didn't make it into the 3.3.0 release,
as well as fixes for new bugs that was introduced in 3.3.0.

I need to mention, that I would never have been able to implement a lot of these fixes
without the absolutely incredible troubleshooting some of you have assisted me with.
I'm so grateful that so many of you are willing to spend all that time and effort into improving
Icaros along side with me. Thank you all so much! ❤️

I hope you all enjoy the new release!

EDIT: There was a small mistake in the first upload, so the newest property formats wasn't available in IcarosConfig.
If you redownload the build again it should be fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[Image: total?color=%232B6870&label=DOWNLOADS&st...-the-badge]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Icaros v.3.3.1 Beta 1]

- Added MKV tag parser - MKV tags can now be viewed in File Explorer
- Added ID3v2 tag support in WAV parser
- Added PSD property support
- Added TGA property support
- Added DDS property support
- Added and improved several properties in most audio property filetypes (BPM, Rating, Initial Key, Bitrate and more)
- Improved parsing of huge values in Property Handler
- Fixed several drag 'n drop issues in IcarosConfig
- Fixed the Cache Indexer not working on Active Directory systems (Thank you Funky D!  ^__^)
- Fixed WEBP not working in Firefox (Requires deactivating, then reactivating the Properties in Icaros)
- Fixed cover parsing in MKV files with WEBP or GIF covers embedded
- Fixed Icaros setting an invalid default Cache location on some systems
- Fixed Rating property not being read correctly from ID3v2 tags
- Lots of small fixes and improvements
- Updated .NET Framework to 4.6
- Updated Greek localization (Thank you Thunderstrike116! ^__^)
- Updated FFmpeg

Icaros 3.3.1 Beta 1 Installer: Download
Icaros 3.3.1 Beta 1 Portable: Download

Issue Tracker

Hello again Xanashi,

Thank you for your Private Message alerting me to this new v3.3.1 beta 1.

I am surprised, but very happy, to see that this Forum is still going (despite it originally being scheduled to be permanently shut down towards the end of last year).

I did create an account on GitHub (and I 'starred' Icaros on there) but unfortunately I did not get round to posting there due to some pretty catastrophic life events that took place over the following few months (therefore I have not been on the net much, and my focus has been on matters other than software).

However, when I saw this latest update, I simply had to make time to quickly test it and to comment on this latest version, seeing as you continue to put so much hard work into refining and perfecting this excellent project.

I am delighted to report that every single one of the issues that I previously reported to you has now been fixed, and as a result, all of my audio test files correctly display their metadata for the full range of media-related metadata fields that we previously discussed. This must have been a lot of work, and I am incredibly grateful to you for your ongoing diligence, not to mention your integrity in keeping your word that you would address these issues following the release of v3.3.0 (which you were under no obligation to do). Thank you!

There's no other feedback for me to offer in relation to audio files, because everything now just works! 

With respect to video files, metadata for these has also been fixed, but there is one minor issue that I noticed that you may wish to investigate. I am not sure whether this is an Icaros issue or just a quirk of Windows, but for mkv and webm video files, the star rating does not display in the horizontal 'details' info bar at the bottom of Explorer windows (although the star rating for those same file types does display correctly in the ratings 'column' within Explorer windows). However, for other video formats such as mov (which was also fixed by this latest Icaros beta) the star rating displays both in the ratings column and also in the horizontal details info pane at the bottom of the Explorer window (see 2nd attached screenshot to see a comparison).

Regrettably I don't currently have the time to more thoroughly test video format metadata, but from my initial quick test, most of the commonly used video metadata tags seem to all be displaying correctly. 

There is possibly an issue related to the 'Copyright' field, but I think that this may be a tag issue rather than an Icaros one. MP3Tag seems to use a different Copyright tag compared to the exact same Copyright field created by an old program like Tag & Rename (<< see web link for details). When tagged using Tag & Rename, the Copyright field shows up in Windows file properties and in Icaros, but when doing the same in MP3Tag it does not display. I find it hard to believe that a program with the long and established pedigree of MP3Tag would use a non-standard tag for such a widely used field as 'Copyright', but it seems that this might possibly be the case. I would have to look into it more when I get the opportunity. I suppose the ideal situation would be if Icaros could display either of these Copyright tag fields (obviously one of them would have to be given priority over the other). Seeing as the Tag & Rename Copyright tag shows up in Windows by default, then it would make sense for Icaros to display that as the first choice. However, if there was no entry in that particular field, but there was an entry in the Copyright field that gets created by MP3Tag, if Icaros could display that Copyright field instead then it would be the best of both worlds (although I'm not sure how feasible that would be in practice).

I would like to thank you once again for all of these latest fixes that you have implemented. Icaros really is now the absolute gold standard in its field, and I will be sure to promote Icaros at every available opportunity to ensure that you, as a developer, get the recognition that you deserve for this incredibly useful, well designed, easy-to-use utility.

Best wishes
Lem

Hi Lem,

I'm so sorry for the super slow reply.

(04-19-2023, 09:17 PM)Lem Wrote: I did create an account on GitHub (and I 'starred' Icaros on there) but unfortunately I did not get round to posting there due to some pretty catastrophic life events that took place over the following few months (therefore I have not been on the net much, and my focus has been on matters other than software).

I'm very sorry to hear about the catastrophic life events.
I really appreciate you took the time to write this post to me.
I hope everything will work out for you and things will get better going forward. Heart

(04-19-2023, 09:17 PM)Lem Wrote: However, when I saw this latest update, I simply had to make time to quickly test it and to comment on this latest version, seeing as you continue to put so much hard work into refining and perfecting this excellent project.

I am delighted to report that every single one of the issues that I previously reported to you has now been fixed, and as a result, all of my audio test files correctly display their metadata for the full range of media-related metadata fields that we previously discussed. This must have been a lot of work, and I am incredibly grateful to you for your ongoing diligence, not to mention your integrity in keeping your word that you would address these issues following the release of v3.3.0 (which you were under no obligation to do). Thank you!

There's no other feedback for me to offer in relation to audio files, because everything now just works! 

So glad to hear it! 
It was all thanks to your really nice collection of sample files. Made it so much easier to troubleshoot various issues.
Thank you!

(04-19-2023, 09:17 PM)Lem Wrote: With respect to video files, metadata for these has also been fixed, but there is one minor issue that I noticed that you may wish to investigate. I am not sure whether this is an Icaros issue or just a quirk of Windows, but for mkv and webm video files, the star rating does not display in the horizontal 'details' info bar at the bottom of Explorer windows (although the star rating for those same file types does display correctly in the ratings 'column' within Explorer windows). However, for other video formats such as mov (which was also fixed by this latest Icaros beta) the star rating displays both in the ratings column and also in the horizontal details info pane at the bottom of the Explorer window (see 2nd attached screenshot to see a comparison).

Thank you for pointing that out. I'll make sure it will be fixed in the next release.

(04-19-2023, 09:17 PM)Lem Wrote: Regrettably I don't currently have the time to more thoroughly test video format metadata, but from my initial quick test, most of the commonly used video metadata tags seem to all be displaying correctly. 

There is possibly an issue related to the 'Copyright' field, but I think that this may be a tag issue rather than an Icaros one. MP3Tag seems to use a different Copyright tag compared to the exact same Copyright field created by an old program like Tag & Rename (<< see web link for details). When tagged using Tag & Rename, the Copyright field shows up in Windows file properties and in Icaros, but when doing the same in MP3Tag it does not display. I find it hard to believe that a program with the long and established pedigree of MP3Tag would use a non-standard tag for such a widely used field as 'Copyright', but it seems that this might possibly be the case. I would have to look into it more when I get the opportunity. I suppose the ideal situation would be if Icaros could display either of these Copyright tag fields (obviously one of them would have to be given priority over the other). Seeing as the Tag & Rename Copyright tag shows up in Windows by default, then it would make sense for Icaros to display that as the first choice. However, if there was no entry in that particular field, but there was an entry in the Copyright field that gets created by MP3Tag, if Icaros could display that Copyright field instead then it would be the best of both worlds (although I'm not sure how feasible that would be in practice).

Icaros is already set up with priority system that can take variations of the same tag and get the best tag to display in Explorer.
So your ideal solution should definitely be possible.
However I couldn't reproduce this error, and it might be related to the same issue you reported above about the rating not showing.
So it may be fixed when I fix this error.
If that is not the case, I may need a bit more info, on how to reproduce this issue, however I don't want you to spend time on this,
with your current life situation. You should definitely focus on yourself. You've already done more than enough for Icaros. Heart

(04-19-2023, 09:17 PM)Lem Wrote: I would like to thank you once again for all of these latest fixes that you have implemented. Icaros really is now the absolute gold standard in its field, and I will be sure to promote Icaros at every available opportunity to ensure that you, as a developer, get the recognition that you deserve for this incredibly useful, well designed, easy-to-use utility.

Best wishes
Lem

Thank you so much for the very kind words, they really mean a lot to me!
It makes a world of difference hearing comments like these, when developing a project like Icaros.

Thank you so much and please take care!
Xanashi