-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
.ts thumbs showing again

I use Icaros to kill the thumbnails of video files.  For some time it has not worked with Mp4 files.  Since it was only this one type of file, it did not confuse you.  However .ts files are now showing as thumbnails.

I have noticed that although .mp4 and .ts files are showing in my list of Thumbnail deactivated when I look at Properties deactivated neither Mp4 or ts are mentioned as video file types.  I do not know if this is part of the problem. 

Anyway I would like to know id there is anyway of killing my ts thumbnails and returning them to icons

(10-30-2020, 01:14 PM)naszdom Wrote: I use Icaros to kill the thumbnails of video files.  For some time it has not worked with Mp4 files.  Since it was only this one type of file, it did not confuse you.  However .ts files are now showing as thumbnails.

I have noticed that although .mp4 and .ts files are showing in my list of Thumbnail deactivated when I look at Properties deactivated neither Mp4 or ts are mentioned as video file types.  I do not know if this is part of the problem. 

Anyway I would like to know id there is anyway of killing my ts thumbnails and returning them to icons

Icaros is generally not used to disable thumbnails, but rather enable thumbnailing for most media filetypes not supported natively by Windows.
That said, there is a very simple way to disable thumbnailing altogether in Windows, just do the following:

1. In File Explorer, click 'File' in the menu, and select 'change folder and search options'
2. Select the 'View' tab and in the 'Advanced settings' list, check the box that says 'Always show icons, never thumbnails'. Click Apply.

That should do it. You may have to restart Explorer. You can do that in IcarosConfig, on the TOOLS page.

About the properties, Icaros doesn't currently support .mp4 or .ts properties. (mp4 will be added though)
When properties are enabled, you can see things like Duration/Length, Width, Height, Framerate, Channels and so on in Explorer.

And then the jpg thumbnails disappear which is what I don't want.  All I want is when working with video files is to be able quickly distinguish between them by way of their icons.

(10-31-2020, 11:06 AM)naszdom Wrote: And then the jpg thumbnails disappear which is what I don't want.  All I want is when working with video files is to be able quickly distinguish between them by way of their icons.

I don't suppose I will get a sensible answer but if any developers see this thread they might like to note that it is only 1080p ts files that are showing (avc main@L4). SD ts files (MPG2) remain as icons.  Convert the 1080p ts files to mkv without re-encoding ie simply with mkvtoolnix and then the thumb disappears.

I see.
To simply remove thumbnailing from a single file type use the following registry script:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp4\ShellEx\{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ts\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ts\ShellEx\{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}]
@=-

1. Create a text file, paste in the above script, and save as .reg
2. Double-click the file and choose 'Merge'
3. Restart Explorer

The above script removes both mp4 and ts thumbnailing, if you need other filetypes you can just expand it, replacing ".ts/.mp4" with other extensions.
If you at some point wish to re-enable thumbnailing, you can use the 'Reset thumbnail filetypes" button on the Tools page of IcarosConfig.

Thanks a lot for that I've searched high and low for something like that and never came across it before.

At first, I thought it did not work but I saw that new ts files did not have a thumb.  Since ts files don't remain long before converting that is not a problem. 

Sorry if my previous reply was a bit disparaging and thanks again for the solution.

(10-30-2020, 01:14 PM)naszdom Wrote: I use Icaros to kill the thumbnails of video files.  For some time it has not worked with Mp4 files.  Since it was only this one type of file, it did not confuse you.  However .ts files are now showing as thumbnails.

Hey naszdom,
I wonder if you have taken guidance from (some other site), as this really helped me. I took assistance from here, which made my work easy. I think you should check this out.
Regards,
Mika Hawkins

Link removed by SharkAdmin - off-site promotion not allowed