-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Dynamic cache for defined locations only?

Hello and thank you for your great software Smile

I'd like to make a feature request for another cache mode. Currently, it looks like the Static mode is the only mode of the 2 to make use of the Included and Excluded locations. Would it be possible to have a dynamic version of this where the cache would only dynamically update locations that are defined in Icaros? A limited Dynamic mode. I think it would be friendlier than having to manually open Icaros every so often and manually build the cache. I haven't tried how the locations work, but it would be nice if it is possible to e.g. include "C:\" recursively, and exclude "C:\folder".

Thanks again!

On a related note, it looks like the Excluded Filetypes string doesn't affect the Dynamic caching: Thumbnailing is activated and MKV is listed in Thumbnail Filetypes, but excluding MKV from the cached file types doesn't work as the thumbs are added as cache entries.

Maybe this could also be improved?

(04-07-2021, 05:33 PM)endbit Wrote: Hello and thank you for your great software Smile

I'd like to make a feature request for another cache mode. Currently, it looks like the Static mode is the only mode of the 2 to make use of the Included and Excluded locations. Would it be possible to have a dynamic version of this where the cache would only dynamically update locations that are defined in Icaros? A limited Dynamic mode. I think it would be friendlier than having to manually open Icaros every so often and manually build the cache. I haven't tried how the locations work, but it would be nice if it is possible to e.g. include "C:\" recursively, and exclude "C:\folder".

Thanks again!

On a related note, it looks like the Excluded Filetypes string doesn't affect the Dynamic caching: Thumbnailing is activated and MKV is listed in Thumbnail Filetypes, but excluding MKV from the cached file types doesn't work as the thumbs are added as cache entries.

Maybe this could also be improved?

Hi endbit,

Thank you for the kind words!  Blush

Unfortunately, it's not possible to create a limited dynamic cache. I actually had something like this in mind while developing the cache, but the thumbnail provider shell extension
never receives information on where the file, it is currently thumbnailing, is located. Only the file's stream (as in data).
So that means the cache wouldn't be able to determine the file's location either during dynamic caching.

The only solution at the moment is to use the static cache, and fill it with the Cache Indexer. That way only the 'Included Locations' will be stored in the cache.

You're also right about the Excluded Filetypes. They currently only work with the Cache Indexer. 
However I may be able to make them work with dynamic caching as well. I'll put it on the To-do list.
If I can't, I will definitely add a note, to let users know it only works with the Indexer. 

Thank you for your feedback!