-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Icaros is unable to build a cache: Indexer found no files... [Error 0x14]

I was never able to make Icaros' cache work on any computers it was installed, only getting temporary thumbnails but this time I want to troubleshoot this.
Unable to find any information on what error code 0x14 means, my last resort is asking here.
The cache has 200 entries manually generated from navigating in explorer but they are never reloaded from the cache, they are always created anew.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

(03-04-2021, 03:59 AM)jHAS Wrote: I was never able to make Icaros' cache work on any computers it was installed, only getting temporary thumbnails but this time I want to troubleshoot this.
Unable to find any information on what error code 0x14 means, my last resort is asking here.
The cache has 200 entries manually generated from navigating in explorer but they are never reloaded from the cache, they are always created anew.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi jHAS,

The error basically means exactly what it states: The indexer couldn't find any files in the "included locations" that was added to the LOCATIONS page.
To get a better idea on how the Icaros Cache works and a full walkthrough of all the settings and indexer, please read the "Icaros Cache" section in 
the README.txt file, which is included in the Icaros installation folder.

If you still have questions or issues afterwards, please let me know.

(03-04-2021, 07:16 PM)Xanashi Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 03:59 AM)jHAS Wrote: I was never able to make Icaros' cache work on any computers it was installed, only getting temporary thumbnails but this time I want to troubleshoot this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi jHAS,

The error basically means exactly what it states: The indexer couldn't find any files in the "included locations" that was added to the LOCATIONS page.
To get a better idea on how the Icaros Cache works and a full walkthrough of all the settings and indexer, please read the "Icaros Cache" section in 
the README.txt file, which is included in the Icaros installation folder.

If you still have questions or issues afterwards, please let me know.

Hi Xanashi,

I had the folders added to the Locations page before and still gives me 0x14, I wasn't clear on that, sorry.
'View Size' seems to be irrelevant, too. Could you clarify what size is a 'Win # Icon'? Are those larger than 'XL'?
Icaros seems to not even try to find the files when, with recursive checked, it should find hundreds of series episodes.
Does Icaros need any Windows service to function? Like Windows Search? Because I have it disabled.

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT:
By the way, I have Dynamic cache enabled and even the thumbs created by navigating the folders are created from scratch. Icaros' cache is even located on a NVMe SSD but the thumbs are created anew.
It becomes real issue when I navigate through my remote storage, since Windows has to download a small percentage of the file to create the thumbs. Every time. This was the main reason I installed Icaros but the cache isn't working.

Trying not to nag too much but is there any other step needed to create thumbs for CBR and CBZ files, besides adding them to the 'Thumbnail Filetypes'?

(03-05-2021, 05:17 AM)jHAS Wrote: I had the folders added to the Locations page before and still gives me 0x14, I wasn't clear on that, sorry.
'View Size' seems to be irrelevant, too. Could you clarify what size is a 'Win # Icon'? Are those larger than 'XL'?
Icaros seems to not even try to find the files when, with recursive checked, it should find hundreds of series episodes.
Does Icaros need any Windows service to function? Like Windows Search? Because I have it disabled.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm... That is strange. I don't believe that the MS functions Icaros uses to find files are dependent on Windows Search, 
but let me test that, and see if I can find out more. 

The view sizes was mostly useful in Windows Vista/7 because the view size setting in Explorer actually requested different sized
thumbnails depending on which view size was selected. In Windows 8.x and 10, this is no longer the case for most of the views. 
Now they just request the same size for almost any view, which is why Icaros has a Win 8 size and a Win 10 size option on the 
locations page.

(03-05-2021, 05:17 AM)jHAS Wrote: EDIT:
By the way, I have Dynamic cache enabled and even the thumbs created by navigating the folders are created from scratch. Icaros' cache is even located on a NVMe SSD but the thumbs are created anew.
It becomes real issue when I navigate through my remote storage, since Windows has to download a small percentage of the file to create the thumbs. Every time. This was the main reason I installed Icaros but the cache isn't working.

Trying not to nag too much but is there any other step needed to create thumbs for CBR and CBZ files, besides adding them to the 'Thumbnail Filetypes'?

What makes you say the thumbnails are created from scratch every time? Are the Icaros Cache files never created? 
In regards to remote storage both the Windows Cache and the Icaros Cache would need to access your files no matter what, as they both need to calculate a 
hash for the file to lookup the thumbnail in the cache. 

Yes, to enable thumbnailing for CBR and CBZ files you just need to add them to the Thumbnail Filetypes (or drop the files on the Thumbnailing Page).
No worries! Ask away. :)

(03-05-2021, 09:33 AM)Xanashi Wrote: What makes you say the thumbnails are created from scratch every time? Are the Icaros Cache files never created?
Because the cache's number of entries keeps counting up for files that have been previously cached before rebooting and they aren't loaded instantly even if they are located locally.

Xanashi Wrote:In regards to remote storage both the Windows Cache and the Icaros Cache would need to access your files no matter what, as they both need to calculate a hash for the file to lookup the thumbnail in the cache.
That makes sense but there doesn't seem to be a speed gain.
I'm using a program named WinThumbsProvider to run the thumb generation recursively through the directory and every time I reboot, it's running time stays the same.

(03-06-2021, 07:41 AM)jHAS Wrote: Because the cache's number of entries keeps counting up for files that have been previously cached before rebooting and they aren't loaded instantly even if they are located locally.

Strange... 
This could either be because the file hashes are different each time (which I don't see how would happen, unless the files are constantly modified),
or that the view sizes are somehow different every time. 
Could you perhaps send me your Icaros Cache files? Perhaps I can see locate the problem there. 
What's your 'view size' in File Explorer?

(03-06-2021, 07:41 AM)jHAS Wrote: That makes sense but there doesn't seem to be a speed gain.
I'm using a program named WinThumbsProvider to run the thumb generation recursively through the directory and every time I reboot, it's running time stays the same.

Does the Windows Cache also reset every time you reboot? Do you always have to use the preloader after every reboot?

(04-05-2021, 06:55 AM)Xanashi Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 07:41 AM)jHAS Wrote: Because the cache's number of entries keeps counting up for files that have been previously cached before rebooting and they aren't loaded instantly even if they are located locally.

Strange... 
This could either be because the file hashes are different each time (which I don't see how would happen, unless the files are constantly modified),
Could you perhaps send me your Icaros Cache files? Perhaps I can see locate the problem there. 

(03-06-2021, 07:41 AM)jHAS Wrote: That makes sense but there doesn't seem to be a speed gain.

Does the Windows Cache also reset every time you reboot? Do you always have to use the preloader after every reboot?

Hi there, just made an account to tell you Xanashi, that the problem is that the option to index recursively is NOT WORKING.
The problem for jHAS probably is the same than mine: he is trying to index a folder with many subfolders containing media.
The error is not present when i select one image that has media in its root.

can you fix it?

PD: a github page would be cool.

(11-17-2021, 11:19 PM)Charly Gardel Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 06:55 AM)Xanashi Wrote:

Strange... 

Hi there, just made an account to tell you Xanashi, that the problem is that the option to index recursively is NOT WORKING.
The problem for jHAS probably is the same than mine: he is trying to index a folder with many subfolders containing media.
The error is not present when i select one image that has media in its root.

can you fix it?

PD: a github page would be cool.

Hi Xanashi,

American Steve in Japan here, if you need anything from this country, or translation, I can help you.

But I'm writing today to let you know I'm having the same problem as the two folks above me reported.

I'm not seeing how it can be so easily brushed away as user error. I simply downloaded Icaros, and get:

"Indexing Completed: Indexer found no files with included filetypes in current cache locations [0x14]"

And, in case you're wondering, the "C:\Users\A\AppData\Local\Icaros\IcarosCache" folder has no files.

My installation of Windows 10 is clean, and I don't have any similar-to-Icaros programs. Please help! :-)

Is there some W10 registry setting which you know of which might be causing Icaros to give this error?

Quote:The view sizes was mostly useful in Windows Vista/7 because the view size setting in Explorer actually requested different sized
thumbnails depending on which view size was selected. In Windows 8.x and 10, this is no longer the case for most of the views. 
Now they just request the same size for almost any view, which is why Icaros has a Win 8 size and a Win 10 size option on the 
locations page.

Still confusing. Lets make it clear: using Windows 10. What to use? "win 10 icons" or XL ?