-->> Shark's website <<--

Shark's Help Forum

Search
  Create an account  
Some questions about Icaros

Hello, i've started using Icaros because the default windows thumbnail system is quite horrible to be honest, it's very slow and doesn't work with all file types and also sometimes it will mess up and stop generating them all together. The software has been great so far but I have a few questions about the usage of the software. 

Do I need to leave Icaros (IcarosConfig.exe) open for Icaros/thumbnail generation to work. It's not really a problem to leave the software open but I would prefer if it could be minimized to the taskbar hidden icons tab instead of just being in my taskbar. If it should open all the time then is there a way I can set it to run at start up? 

I'm confused about how the caching works. Does Icaros add to the windows thumbnail database if caching is disabled or what exactly is happening? I understand there is 3 modes (Disabled, Static, Dynamic) but the difference between static and dynamic is quite confusing. When set to dynamic I see that the caching folder starts accumulating files but when its set to static nothing happens at all, is this because static needs specified directories to cache from?

Originally I downloaded the portable version and then removed it and installed it and the installed version had my settings from the portable version of the software, does this mean that the preferences are stored elsewhere. I'm only curious because It didn't seem like they were so I was wondering how it was possible.

Finally this one is more of a request but is there any chance of OpenEXR file format support? Nevermind, i saw that EXR works!

Thanks

Just set Cache to Dynamic und Icaors to most known filetypes and you are fine. No need to let the program open, it does what it is for in the background and that very well.
Just do a test. Download a VP9 video from youtube and disable Icaros and then ther should be no thumbnail, but after enabling icaros you get thumbnails. Then Icaros works.

I hope it helps, if you have any other question or I need to explain a bit deeper, just let me know.

(03-24-2022, 01:45 PM)Klaus1189 Wrote: Just set Cache to Dynamic und Icaors to most known filetypes and you are fine. No need to let the program open, it does what it is for in the background and that very well.
Just do a test. Download a VP9 video from youtube and disable Icaros and then ther should be no thumbnail, but after enabling icaros you get thumbnails. Then Icaros works.

I hope it helps, if you have any other question or I need to explain a bit deeper, just let me know.

So does it use some background processes that are always active to work? I'm just curious about the usage of the software? Do I need to start it every time I power on my PC or what's the process like.

I never searched for processes about Icaros, it simply does work, when activated. 

No need to know more about the usage, just
-> install
-> activate
-> works like a charm

(03-25-2022, 12:59 PM)Klaus1189 Wrote: I never searched for processes about Icaros, it simply does work, when activated. 

-> install
-> activate
-> works like a charm

I understand it works when activated I'm just curious about how it actually goes about achieving this and what the performance is like. Also sometimes when accumulating thumbnails for EXR it's very slow is it something that can be managed or?

(03-31-2022, 03:57 PM)banetmp Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 12:59 PM)Klaus1189 Wrote: I never searched for processes about Icaros, it simply does work, when activated. 

-> install
-> activate
-> works like a charm

I understand it works when activated I'm just curious about how it actually goes about achieving this and what the performance is like. Also sometimes when accumulating thumbnails for EXR it's very slow is it something that can be managed or?

For details on how this works, the dev must answer this.
What do you mean with "manage"?